The Student Room Group

applying for a job for after GCSEs

i want to write a cv so i can start applying for jobs, they’re hard to find and i’ve been advised to start applying early.

but i turn 16 in the summer holidays (august) so where would i make this obvious to my employer? do i email them or tell them on my cv etc? thanks
Hey @dbadba11

That's great that you're thinking about getting a job so soon. Do you have anyone at your school that can help with careers advice and proof-reading your CV when you've written it?

As far as your age, you can write a sentence in your personal statement section something like "I will be turning 16 in August and looking forward to starting work after I leave school. I would be interested in starting a job now, even if it is part time for a few hours a week as I am eager to learn and would love the opportunity to join your team"

Just be aware of child labour laws that it is possible to start work before you turn 16 but there would be different rules that the job needs to follow for you such as different hours in term time and the holidays.
https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment

Are you planning to go to college after the summer?

Best wishes
Essex Student Rep - Hayley
Reply 2
Original post by EssexStudentRep
Hey @dbadba11

That's great that you're thinking about getting a job so soon. Do you have anyone at your school that can help with careers advice and proof-reading your CV when you've written it?

As far as your age, you can write a sentence in your personal statement section something like "I will be turning 16 in August and looking forward to starting work after I leave school. I would be interested in starting a job now, even if it is part time for a few hours a week as I am eager to learn and would love the opportunity to join your team"

Just be aware of child labour laws that it is possible to start work before you turn 16 but there would be different rules that the job needs to follow for you such as different hours in term time and the holidays.
https://www.gov.uk/child-employment/restrictions-on-child-employment

Are you planning to go to college after the summer?

Best wishes

thank you so much. this is so helpful!!

edit: just realised your comment at the end- yes im going to sixth form after summer. and unfortunately i checked today and there aren’t any people at school who really give advice on writing a cv.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by dbadba11
i want to write a cv so i can start applying for jobs, they’re hard to find and i’ve been advised to start applying early.

but i turn 16 in the summer holidays (august) so where would i make this obvious to my employer? do i email them or tell them on my cv etc? thanks

If you put your date of birth on your CV, then employers should see that anyway.
Quite a lot of companies applications (e.g. application forms, online applications) will ask for a date of birth anyway, so they should see that.
Original post by dbadba11
thank you so much. this is so helpful!!

edit: just realised your comment at the end- yes im going to sixth form after summer. and unfortunately i checked today and there aren’t any people at school who really give advice on writing a cv.

Hey @dbadba11

Check out this link from Indeed that has some CV tips, if you scroll to the bottom it gives an example CV to give you an idea of how to write your own.
https://uk.indeed.com/career-advice/cvs-cover-letters/how-to-write-cv-for-16-year-old
Did you do something like a 2 week work experience placement in year 10/11? If so then write a bit about what you learned on the job etc

What A level subjects are you going to do when you start sixth form in September?

Best wishes
Reply 5
Original post by Emma:-)
If you put your date of birth on your CV, then employers should see that anyway.
Quite a lot of companies applications (e.g. application forms, online applications) will ask for a date of birth anyway, so they should see that.

okay tysm😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending