The Student Room Group

How important is the subject of the Extended Essay (EE) for university application?

I want to apply for a computer science course at university (Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, King's etc.), but I am thinking of doing an EE in physics (mechanics or electricity). Will that impair my chances of acceptance?
With most subjects, I don't think it would "impair" your chances of acceptance (compared to other application components, like your grades, subject choices...).
I think most unis would see the EE as more of a bonus (rather than a necessity) if it aligns with the course you're applying for. If it doesn't align, it just means that you don't have this bonus, but that doesn't mean you would be massively disadvantaged. (Unless, everyone applying for Computer Science writes their EE on Computer Science - which I doubt, but then again, I'm not a Computer Science student!)
Good luck with the EE... It's tough! :smile:
Reply 2
I think that the EE subject is essential, because technically, it is like a mini-thesis. If its in a rather difficult course, it makes you appear more diligent and competitive I'd say. But make sure you get those bonus marks, cause that's whats important in the end.
Reply 3
While you can write about any subject youll benefit more by choosing a subject related to your major. Also if its a really good EE you can write about it in your P.S :wink:
It wont hinder your application but writing an EE on the subject you are applying for shows your commitment and enthusiasm towards that given subject. So an EE in Computer Science will show the unis that you are dedicated to the course you are applying for and also gives you a reason to show your Computer Science knowledge in your personal statement as you describe and explain your EE (again to show off your commitment to the subject you want to study at their uni).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending