The Student Room Group

english literature

I have a GCSE English Literature exam in two days, we have to compare the poems but comparing isn't my strongest topic in English, any ideas on how to prepare and any tips??
thanks
Reply 1
Always consider using the PEEAL structure .. Point, evidence, effect, analysis and the link.. We have done our poetry paper before, make sure within your paragraphs, you keep comparing the key ideas and themes of each poem, and what would be the effects on the audience. Don't talk about one particular poem and leave one out, try talking about both of the poem on the same paragraph, keep comparing the themes and ideas of each poem.. If any questions feel free to ask :smile:
Original post by Joshua_1
Always consider using the PEEAL structure .. Point, evidence, effect, analysis and the link.. We have done our poetry paper before, make sure within your paragraphs, you keep comparing the key ideas and themes of each poem, and what would be the effects on the audience. Don't talk about one particular poem and leave one out, try talking about both of the poem on the same paragraph, keep comparing the themes and ideas of each poem.. If any questions feel free to ask :smile:

Good summary of what to do, this is useful advice to anyone looking.
Original post by starbucks01
I have a GCSE English Literature exam in two days, we have to compare the poems but comparing isn't my strongest topic in English, any ideas on how to prepare and any tips??
thanks

Look at similarities and differences between the poems. What are the general themes? What poetic techniques has the poet used? ie metaphor, simile, personification, alliteration. What effect do these have on the poem? Is there a rhyme scheme? What is your personal opinion on the poem and the message it conveys?

Try to highlight the similarities, as remember to always link back to the question to show that you are answering it directly. Don't forget the differences, as although this sometimes feels like a bad way to compare, it shows that you recognise they are independent of each other.
I know I'm a bit late but please don't analyse one poem and then analyse the next. Make sure you write a paragraph on a certain language device for one poem and then compare in with the other poem in the next
Reply 5
how did it go? did you do the aqa higher tier? what poems came up? thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest