The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A2 F214/F215 exams June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Missemilynorman
I said that instead of 'digesting' the DNA, the enzyme 'hydrolysed' the sugar phosphate backbone

I said instead of digesting cut or fragment the DNA, but I'm pretty sure it was the restriction enzyme thing
Plz send
Original post by kingmaker247
I have a copy of the exam and i can give it to someone for unofficial markscheme if you pm me
Original post by islay123
did it not ask about which is the most ineffecient transfer of energy?? therefore it was the last one from the second last one as it has travelled the most thereforelots has been wasted in the process?

Yes that's what I thought!I thought it asked about inefficient.
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
I put chromosomes too

I kept writing and scribbling out dna and chromosomes before going with dna just because it sounded nicer in the sentence
Original post by Lawlawlessness
I kept writing and scribbling out dna and chromosomes before going with dna just because it sounded nicer in the sentence

To be fair they're both accurate. Depends what mood ocr are in :tongue:
These are all i can remember, sorry if some are wrong :

1) Carrying Capacity
2) Biotic factor : food availability ( the prey)
Aboitic : water availabilty
2) DNA, polypeptide, tertiary structure
3) Regarding the coppicing question :
I wrote for aesthetics : they can be made into furniture (idk)
it promotes biodiversity as it produces new habitats (ethical?)
4) Question regarding apoptosis
In A you can see the formation of Head and Thorax
In A-B you can see the formation of arms and legs
In B-C you can see the formation of fingers, toes, and ears.

5) Homeobox genes are found in animals , plants and fungi.
6) The mice question i dont remember much
7) The galapocas island question
the probability is 25 % as it asked for recessive sea salt water spray
It increases over time due to natural selection , where the plants with those alleles are basiacally more likely to survive than those that abosrb the misty water , therefore they more likely to pass genes to offspring , soon there is will be a genetic drift in where the recessive alleles will be more common in population.
Human activity on galapocos :
i wrote about pollution ( oil spill ) deforestation (loss of habitat and over fishing and hunting ( endangering the species )
Finding about the abundance of the species: use belt transects and quadrents, count how many and where they are founds for the two zones.
Goldern rice question : so weird since the answer was sort of in question itself ?
The maize plant probably produced the most b-caraotene since it has a different shaped enzyme which is more complementarty to shape of subtrate, different sequence of amino acids so different protein formed etc.

shows phototropism when shoot grows towards sunlight .
Gene sequencing : Step 3 should be between 1 and 2 and Transferase enzyme should be restrictive enzyme ?

Last question was aabout somatic and germ line gene therapy : I said somatic changes cell of individual but germ line changes sex cells so offspring also dont get disease.

The term used to describe what happens on the food chain : feeding ?
Hawk , since it was further up food chain and therefore had least energy since most were lost through respiration and waste.
Chimpanzee question , i thought it was natural selection since the question stated they were lighter therefore could get to the higher branches ?
why they were stronger muscles compared to humans ? becuase they use it more regularly and pretty much hang their weight on it , but humans don't ( i basically said, they exercise, but humans don't lol )

CNS vs Peripheral
Cns consists of brain and spinal cord - coordinates message
Peripheral involves all the neurones connecting brain and spinal cord to all parts of body.- transport message to all parts of body.

I put taxis down for the debetable question, but since we have a issue over the answer ignore it.

these all i can remeber please tell what you agree with and what are wrong .

Much appreciated
Original post by AnnekaChan173
We are so getting Jan 13 grade boundaries

welp time to look into clearing :smile:
Original post by Hollyht
UNOFFICAL MARKSCHEME attached !!!! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699515.049298.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699540.642822.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699558.275473.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699569.950333.jpg

(questions may not be in correct order and answers are overall opinion and my opinion from reading answers don't tell me to go do BTEC hair and beauty please )

Posted from TSR Mobile

"don't tell me to go do BTEC hair and beauty please" LMAO

Thank you for this tho ! :biggrin:
Original post by Anita234
These are all i can remember, sorry if some are wrong :

1) Carrying Capacity
2) Biotic factor : food availability ( the prey)
Aboitic : water availabilty
2) DNA, polypeptide, tertiary structure
3) Regarding the coppicing question :
I wrote for aesthetics : they can be made into furniture (idk)
it promotes biodiversity as it produces new habitats (ethical?)
4) Question regarding apoptosis
In A you can see the formation of Head and Thorax
In A-B you can see the formation of arms and legs
In B-C you can see the formation of fingers, toes, and ears.

5) Homeobox genes are found in animals , plants and fungi.
6) The mice question i dont remember much
7) The galapocas island question
the probability is 25 % as it asked for recessive sea salt water spray
It increases over time due to natural selection , where the plants with those alleles are basiacally more likely to survive than those that abosrb the misty water , therefore they more likely to pass genes to offspring , soon there is will be a genetic drift in where the recessive alleles will be more common in population.
Human activity on galapocos :
i wrote about pollution ( oil spill ) deforestation (loss of habitat and over fishing and hunting ( endangering the species )
Finding about the abundance of the species: use belt transects and quadrents, count how many and where they are founds for the two zones.
Goldern rice question : so weird since the answer was sort of in question itself ?
The maize plant probably produced the most b-caraotene since it has a different shaped enzyme which is more complementarty to shape of subtrate, different sequence of amino acids so different protein formed etc.

shows phototropism when shoot grows towards sunlight .
Gene sequencing : Step 3 should be between 1 and 2 and Transferase enzyme should be restrictive enzyme ?

Last question was aabout somatic and germ line gene therapy : I said somatic changes cell of individual but germ line changes sex cells so offspring also dont get disease.

The term used to describe what happens on the food chain : feeding ?
Hawk , since it was further up food chain and therefore had least energy since most were lost through respiration and waste.
Chimpanzee question , i thought it was natural selection since the question stated they were lighter therefore could get to the higher branches ?
why they were stronger muscles compared to humans ? becuase they use it more regularly and pretty much hang their weight on it , but humans don't ( i basically said, they exercise, but humans don't lol )

CNS vs Peripheral
Cns consists of brain and spinal cord - coordinates message
Peripheral involves all the neurones connecting brain and spinal cord to all parts of body.- transport message to all parts of body.

I put taxis down for the debetable question, but since we have a issue over the answer ignore it.

these all i can remeber please tell what you agree with and what are wrong .

Much appreciated

looks good so far :smile: although i put insight learning for the monkey question since it was about behaviour. plus question 1b was what other 2 factors could limit mite population - i put down interspecific competitions and ummm predation. for the muscles vs athletic human i put down they have a greater graduation of response (no idea if this is right i just happened to see it somewhere in the textbook...), i think it was more about physiological adaptation
Original post by Peter Wilkinson
"don't tell me to go do BTEC hair and beauty please" LMAO

Thank you for this tho ! :biggrin:

Pete how did you find the exam overall?
Original post by Hollyht
UNOFFICAL MARKSCHEME attached !!!! ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699515.049298.jpg ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699540.642822.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699558.275473.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1466699569.950333.jpg

(questions may not be in correct order and answers are overall opinion and my opinion from reading answers don't tell me to go do BTEC hair and beauty please )

Posted from TSR Mobile

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1466701171.732892.jpg here's some questions I missed

Posted from TSR Mobile
10.5 was the rounded answer for chi squared no?

I can't remember the exact figure that's why I wrote ish next to it haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3972
Original post by Hollyht

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I think you're missing some, like the explants one and sterilisation?
Reply 3973
10.5 was the rounded answer for chi squared no?

heard 10.48, got that myself
Original post by Hollyht

Posted from TSR Mobile

omg i got chi squared value wrong wtf that was the easiest mark on the paper LOL

but cheers for the mark scheme! ^_^
Original post by Funky_Giraffe
Pete how did you find the exam overall?

I thought the exam overall was ok . Didn't find any questions too hard, but I did make quite a few mistakes, like the 4 marker on "why does the recessive allele become more frequent over time"( My mind went blank and didn't read the top part of question properly). Hopefully, the grade boundaries are not as high as they were in 2013, but I doubt they will be . WBU?
I think having thought about it, it wasn't as easy as Jan 2013 :
Questions on: Apoptosis, what happens to the muscles, energy efficieny, the significance of the Ch^2 test and also the taxis/Kinesis question along with little marks on artificial selection I think would definitely trip people up depending on how fussy OCR want to be about wording lol

Not sure if I'm the only one who thinks this!
For the apoptosis question, I believe A to B was the formation of eyelids/ eyelids opening/ tissue holding eye lids being destroyed. From B to C, I was definitely the webbing between fingers and toes being destroyed. The cockroach was Negative (Photo)taxis. The question of bacteria taking up plasmids, was something along the lines of possibly antibiotic resistance and or taking up new substrates for respiration Do people agree with this? I found this paper annoying to answer, but quite fair. Grade boundaries will go up, maybe 63 A. Or am i being optimistic aha.
Wasn't the question on mice, 'black mice are rare, a person want's to get a population of black mice only but only has two grey mice to start with'. Doesn't even make sense why would anyone want grey mice and plus grey was dominant to black.
Original post by Peter Wilkinson
I thought the exam overall was ok . Didn't find any questions too hard, but I did make quite a few mistakes, like the 4 marker on "why does the recessive allele become more frequent over time"( My mind went blank and didn't read the top part of question properly). Hopefully, the grade boundaries are not as high as they were in 2013, but I doubt they will be . WBU?

Same. I think it was about the norm for an OCR F215 paper. Whilst there was nothing overly hard, the first half was heavily weighted towards ecology which people always drop marks on (especially with so many 3 and 4 markers). The gap fill exercises / complete the box stuff was not that easy either, so overall I would say the paper was about average too. Not sure if I got the question on beta carotene rght (the one with the different enzymes etc.) and also a few other sketchy questions! Hoping everything will be okay though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending