The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A2 F214/F215 exams June 2016

Scroll to see replies

Can someone please explain the countercurrent multiplier mechanism- i still don't get it :frown:
Original post by Thisshouldbeapun
if anyone could tell me the importance of coenzymes in resipration I'd be so grateful, I understand what they do but the importance is what I don't get it at all?

Well you have Coenzyme A which carries Acetate into the Krebs Cycle.
Original post by dan_theman98
They enable dehydrogenation reactions to occur by accepting hydrogen atoms, forming NADH. The role of NADH would be to donate hydrogen atoms at the inner mitochondrial membrane. These hydrogen atoms would split into protons and electrons. The electrons would then be pumped along the electron transport chain to form the proton gradient that drives chemiosmosis, subsequently producing the 30 ATP's! Hope that helps! :smile:

Original post by Yazmin123
They basically do what normal enzymes can't. So in respiration for example you have loads of oxidation and reduction reactions and normal enzymes can't catalyse this
i don't know if this is useful but thats what i know :":wink:

Thank you so much!!! :smile:
Also if anyone could give a (very) brief rundown on the immune system that'd be so helpful (still dont understand even though its AS but you know because its synoptic and all that...) :smile:
Original post by emilysoul
In the OCR book it says the blood is taken from a vein? (Now I think they usually join the vein and the artery to form one big strong blood vessel) :smile: I may be wrong though!

I believe on a MS vein and artery were both accepted
Original post by SRR3456
Can someone please explain the countercurrent multiplier mechanism- i still don't get it :frown:

I would recommend going youtube watching nottsast video on loop of henle he explained to me very well its easier to understand when you see how it works
What do we need know from AS??
Original post by Thisshouldbeapun
if anyone could tell me the importance of coenzymes in resipration I'd be so grateful, I understand what they do but the importance is what I don't get it at all?

In the link reaction when pyruvate + coenzyme A turn into acetylcoenzyme A, this is important because in the Krebs Cycle following this, It is turned back to Coenzyme A and this initiates the whole Krebs Cycle. In general, coenzymes are just necessary for energy production.
There's every possibility that something on Kidney Failure could come up - the advantages and disadvantages possibly.
Original post by emilysoul
In the link reaction when pyruvate + coenzyme A turn into acetylcoenzyme A, this is important because in the Krebs Cycle following this, It is turned back to Coenzyme A and this initiates the whole Krebs Cycle. In general, coenzymes are just necessary for energy production.

Original post by CAPTAINSHAZAM
I would recommend going youtube watching nottsast video on loop of henle he explained to me very well its easier to understand when you see how it works

ok thanks :smile:
Can someone explain this question to me PLEASE!

Plants that live in the Arctic have a relatively short growing season in which the lightintensity is always relatively low. Many species growing in these conditions have a highlevel of anthocyanin pigments in their leaves. The combined effect of these redpigments with the green chlorophyll makes the leaves appear dark purple or black. Suggest why this adaptation is useful in increasing photosynthetic rates.

Spoiler

Original post by Lilly1234567890
whats the difference between a lobe and a lobule? (if any)

Size, eg in Tube and Tubule. Artery and arteriole. Lobule is smaller.
Original post by SRR3456
ok thanks :smile:

Np let me know how you get on
image.jpg
Original post by SRR3456
any predictions?
Original post by JustAPye
For all those asking for the 2015 papers.

LIFE SAVER! Love you! lol
Original post by Lilly1234567890
Can someone explain this question to me PLEASE!

Plants that live in the Arctic have a relatively short growing season in which the lightintensity is always relatively low. Many species growing in these conditions have a highlevel of anthocyanin pigments in their leaves. The combined effect of these redpigments with the green chlorophyll makes the leaves appear dark purple or black. Suggest why this adaptation is useful in increasing photosynthetic rates.

Spoiler

Having even more pigments allows even more wavelengths of light to be absorbed, so more energy is transferred to the chlorophyll a, increasing the rate of the light-dependent stage of photosynthesis and photosynthesis overall. I think the leaves absorb more temperature because they appear to be black in colour, and the colour black is a good at absorbing heat radiation.
Original post by Pterofyre
There's every possibility that something on Kidney Failure could come up - the advantages and disadvantages possibly.

Advantages of Kidney Failure? Not sure I can think of one bahaha
Reply 1799
Original post by SRR3456

"two tubes with fluid that flows in opposite directions to create a high concentration"
The loop of Henle is an example.

From the descending limb to the ascending fluid flows down then up via hairpin bend. The water potential (the concentration of water) is low in the descending but is really high at the ascending.

This is maintained through the active transport of Na+ ions out and the osmosis of water to the tissue fluid in the medulla. As you travel past the hair pin bend more ions diffuse down their concentration gradients to inevitably increasing the water potential of the fluid.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending