The Student Room Group

Cumbrian Towns evacuated by high winds

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mochassassin
I live in Lancaster (for uni) but it's crazy how small it is and how many people you run into.

Well, I wouldn't know. And that's scary. That's why I'm hoping it won't happen. :tongue:

Heeyy same county as me; I live in Lancashire too :smile:

I heard Lancaster got hit too, how is everything up there? :/ Are you okay?

I know what he looks like haha
Woop woop! :five:

It was pretty bad. The floods damaged a lot of properties - traffic lights offline along with cash machines and all the power. Complete blackout. Pretty apocalypse-like and scary! We were all evacuated though and uni's closed early!

I'm okay, thanks! I managed to get home safely. It was hectic though with a dead phone and laptop! Couldn't contact my family or anything! A lot of students are staying over at university overnight with duvets/pillows - it's like Harry Potter, haha!

How are you? Did you get affected? :zomg: :frown:
Woop woop! :five:

It was pretty bad. The floods damaged a lot of properties - traffic lights offline along with cash machines and all the power. Complete blackout. Pretty apocalypse-like and scary! We were all evacuated though and uni's closed early!

I'm okay, thanks! I managed to get home safely. It was hectic though with a dead phone and laptop! Couldn't contact my family or anything! A lot of students are staying over at university overnight with duvets/pillows - it's like Harry Potter, haha!

How are you? Did you get affected? :zomg: :frown:

Holy hell :/ that's some pretty scary stuff right there; would have been kinda cool to sleepover at uni overnight though

Nope, my city didn't get affected; thankfully
Yeah, for sure! Most of my friends made it home so staying over would've been pointless especially with no electricity or food!

Oh, thank goodness! It's so surreal seeing it all over the news, doesn't it? :zomg:
Well I tree did get blown down right outside my window a couple weeks ago. And the wind has been really bad for a couple days. But I am safe. :smile: I am slightly overcome by your concern about me. I didn't know you cared like that. :loveduck:
Yeah, for sure! Most of my friends made it home so staying over would've been pointless especially with no electricity or food!

Oh, thank goodness! It's so surreal seeing it all over the news, doesn't it? :zomg:

I'm glad to hear, that's crazy how it happened so close to home

It's so strange considering how Lancaster is only 22 miles away from me and we didn't get any major disruption on the scale of that.
Original post by william walker
Well I tree did get blown down right outside my window a couple weeks ago. And the wind has been really bad for a couple days. But I am safe. :smile: I am slightly overcome by your concern about me. I didn't know you cared like that. :loveduck:

I'm glad you're okay :smile: *hugs*
Only 22 miles?! Damn, that's so close! Count yourself lucky and don't overthink it! :biggrin:
Lancaster (and Morecambe) are black outs because a local substation was flooded, main roads going in and out were closed aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PandaWho
Lancaster (and Morecambe) are black outs because a local substation was flooded, main roads going in and out were closed aswell

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, I didn't know that

I hope everything comes back on as normal soon anyway .

Stay safe y'all
The electric people are putting generators around, but saying tuesday evening for real power!

Though cumbrias worse flooding wise, bridges and roads have collapsed. Im not aware of any collapsed roads in lancashire.

Luckily where i currently am we have power just no mobile signal as masts are down. Though cant contact my brother or my sister and her 2 year old!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lancaster Uni student here.
Was evacuated from my accomodation in town! It was absolute chaos. Broken bridges, flooded streets, no traffic lights, no cash machines, no shops open, no trains running and thousands of students trying to get to Preston/Manchester!
Ending up nabbing a taxi with someone and made it home after a crazy 5 hours! I live right on the canal too so we're lucky we didn't get flooded directly!
Some students are staying over at campus tonight until things blow over.
Classes/exams/deadlines have been postponed until further notice! :yep:

Stay safe everyone and have a wonderful Christmas! :smile:

Pretty similar story for me, except I'm still in Lancaster.

I was in town checking out the floods when the power went off and I quickly left town when it felt as though people were about to start breaking into shops. There were some attempts at looting houses in Moorgate last night, apparently.

Most of Lancaster has power now (temporary generators) and the floods have subsided. The emergency services and electricity NW have done a great job putting things back to normal.
Original post by Drewski
Maybe thread title should read 'due to high winds' rather than 'by'?

I mean, they're strong winds, but not quite that strong.

PRSOM. But that was my exact first thought, too. :biggrin:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Manitude
Pretty similar story for me, except I'm still in Lancaster.

I was in town checking out the floods when the power went off and I quickly left town when it felt as though people were about to start breaking into shops. There were some attempts at looting houses in Moorgate last night, apparently.

Most of Lancaster has power now (temporary generators) and the floods have subsided. The emergency services and electricity NW have done a great job putting things back to normal.

Damn, glad you're okay! And kudos to the emergency services - I would not know how to deal with such a big emergency in such a short time!
My flatmate just told me power's gone out again - is this true? :zomg:
Damn, glad you're okay! And kudos to the emergency services - I would not know how to deal with such a big emergency in such a short time!

Heard on the news there isn't going to be any power in Lancaster for a few days
I live in Carlisle. My Sixth Form looks like a swimming pool. Happy days!
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Heard on the news there isn't going to be any power in Lancaster for a few days

The news is still a bit behind, haha. I'm following the student union pages and the local twitter feeds!
I'm hoping the power is still up - it's freezing there!
The news is still a bit behind, haha. I'm following the student union pages and the local twitter feeds!
I'm hoping the power is still up - it's freezing there!

Hope the floods haven't affected you!
Original post by MrsSheldonCooper
Hope the floods haven't affected you!

I posted it about it here somewhere - have a look! :smile:
I got home after it so it's all good, thank you! X

Yeah gennies have failed :facepalm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending