The Student Room Group

Retake C1 or not?

Hi there,

For AS Maths I got 266/300 ums.

C1: 82
C2: 91
M1: 93

I need 214/300 ums at A2 to get an A overall in Maths.

My teacher insists that I should as he thinks I can do a lot better. But seeing as I already have a decent ums in maths, I don't know if its worth it? Especially considering I am aiming for an A* in maths this year, despite me being predicted an A.

I am also planning on resitting one AS Physics and one AS Geography module as well to help increase my overall A-level result in these two subjects from a B to an A. So resitting C1 will mean I have an extra exam to cope with.

So overall, do you think is it worth me resitting C1 or not?
Original post by speed1✈️✈️
Hi there,

My teacher insists that I should as he thinks I can do a lot better. But seeing as I already have a decent ums in maths, I don't know if its worth it? Especially considering I am aiming for an A* in maths this year, despite me being predicted an A.

I am also planning on resitting one AS Physics and one AS Geography module as well to help increase my overall A-level result in these two subjects from a B to an A. So resitting C1 will mean I have an extra exam to cope with.

If you score less than 90 in any core A level maths modules, resit it.
If you score 80 in a applied module for A level maths, leave it.
It may not be necessary to retake C1 as you have already scored over 90 ums in the other 2 modules. However, after learning C3 and C4, C1 will be a piece of cake and you can easily get over 90 ums in that module. I would say go for it because it wouldn't require much revision to do well in after you have learned C3 and C4. Also you are aiming for an A* overall so I would retake it if I were you because it is easy marks. Good luck! :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
C1 is definitely worth retaking. It's so easy to revise for after you've done C2 let alone C3 and C4.
Hi there,

I wouldn't bother what so ever resiting. The A* grade only comes from the C3 and C4 modules which you have to average 90 percent in the two. Resiting core 1 may seem easy and probably is, but thats time and effort that could be used to work hard on C3&4 which determine the A*. C1 doesn't contribute to the A* grade, and you're already averaging more than 80 percent in your modules so leave it. I'm certainly not resiting and I only got 251 in maths (really **** score I know🙂)
If you're aiming for an A*, you don't need to do it.

Anything less, then it wouldn't hurt.
Hi there,

If you average 90 in C3 and C4, you would need 34 UMS in your 3rd A2 module to get the A*, not bad right?

Though things can go terribly wrong in the exams, so I would recommend retaking C1. After doing C3 and C4 it would be piss easy anyway...
Easy 100 UMS :P

Good luck
Original post by shortguy
I wouldn't bother what so ever resiting. The A* grade only comes from the C3 and C4 modules which you have to average 90 percent in the two. Resiting core 1 may seem easy and probably is, but thats time and effort that could be used to work hard on C3&4 which determine the A*. C1 doesn't contribute to the A* grade, and you're already averaging more than 80 percent in your modules so leave it. I'm certainly not resiting and I only got 251 in maths (really **** score I know🙂)

Commiserations on your AS Maths score.:tongue:

And, yeah I was thinking what your're thinking.
My teacher though insists that I should resit, and is warning me that I'll be very disappointed on results day if I miss my A in maths by a few marks LOL. And that my C3 and C4 will be much lower than my C1 and C2 (because they're so hard apparently).
I guess he must be very deluded haha.
Original post by edothero
If you average 90 in C3 and C4, you would need 34 UMS in your 3rd A2 module to get the A*, not bad right?

Though things can go terribly wrong in the exams, so I would recommend retaking C1. After doing C3 and C4 it would be piss easy anyway...
Easy 100 UMS :P

Good luck

Well yeah I was thinking it was an easy 100 ums on the morning of the exam, ending up flopping completely, losing 3 marks (6 ums!) in a whole question because I differentiated (1/2)X^2 wrong haha, even though I got the final answers correct. (Mark scheme said there must be correct working throughout to gain all the marks).
Well yeah I was thinking it was an easy 100 ums on the morning of the exam, ending up flopping completely, losing 3 marks (6 ums!) in a whole question because I differentiated (1/2)X^2 wrong haha, even though I got the final answers correct. (Mark scheme said there must be correct working throughout to gain all the marks).

I get what you mean haha, I got 95 ums when I did mine, mind went blank on the last question ended up dropping 3 out of 5 marks :rofl:
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
If you score less than 90 in any core A level maths modules, resit it.
If you score 80 in a applied module for A level maths, leave it.

I wouldn't say any core A-level maths module to get an A. C1 and C2, yes, but not C3 or C4 unless it was just a general cock up which is easily fixable.
Original post by edothero
I get what you mean haha, I got 95 ums when I did mine, mind went blank on the last question ended up dropping 3 out of 5 marks :rofl:

Wow congrats! It takes quite a bit of skill and luck to get close to or 100 ums in C1. You could have done all the past papers but still flop, especially considering its non-calculator. It isn't that easy :tongue:.

Quick Reply

Latest