The Student Room Group

Opinion: most underrated university among the general public

Scroll to see replies

CARDIFF!!

I mean everyone sees cardiff as one of the poorer russel group universities, yet it is currently ranked 5th for research and is a great uni!

I study medicine here so im probably biased as its ranked third in the UK for medicine, but the Uni has had rave reviews from every single student that goes here. it is very pretty, there are loads of amazing facilities, the accomodation is great. its research is second to none and the teaching staff are amazing!
Original post by nulli tertius
When did anyone last seriously call Sussex "Balliol by the sea"?

I've never heard the phrase....?

I've never been to Balliol, but I know Brighton....and I'm guessing Balliol life isn't like Brighton?
Original post by TheGuyReturns
I'm afraid when the chips are down, and you're applying for jobs... no one is going to care where some namby pamby league table put your university. It will come down to prestige.

It's no individual question, the idea of student satisfaction factoring in is bull**** altogether. There's only one metric that matters... prestige.

Original post by blondelocks
League tables are pointless. The harsh truth is that unless you are taking medicine, attending a non-Russell Group (few exceptions like Bath) is pretty much pointless, especially given that you would be paying the same fee as an Oxbridge student - it's like a regressive tax . Prestige counts for much, much more. University is, sadly, a business. It's all about the brand.Nottingham and Manchester do badly in league tables because they are so large. They are invariably considered better institutions by employers and globally than some of those that rank higher on domestic rankings due to student 'satisfaction'. Just check LinkedIn for the real facts.

Is there another way to objectively see which universities are more prestigious than others if not through league tables? How do you find out which unis employers like the most?

Interesting.

That book seems to make Sussex sound a pretty cool place to study back in the 1960s. I think now its a uni that doesn't have a great deal of money. However I've been to their campus and also to the Sussex Innovation Centre with work (SIC is very impressive) and although small and basic the facilities were ok and the campus was pleasant.
Original post by AlexeiLipov
Is there another way to objectively see which universities are more prestigious than others if not through league tables? How do you find out which unis employers like the most?

Very well researched look at the prestige and reputation in the job market of universities by an ex MBB management consultant:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable
Reply 87
Original post by PQ
Out of interest: which of the NSS questions do you think are not relevant or appropriate for determining quality?

nss qs

For the most part I feel like the questions are relevant and appropriate, except for maybe personal development as well. I think personal development is more dependent on each individual student (duh) and how much effort they put in. I don't think a university should be held accountable just because some students aren't reaching their full potentials, perhaps because the students aren't trying their best.

As mentioned previously in the thread, thecompleteuniversityguide also takes into consideration the entry requirements for each university, again, not a measure that should be used to determine the quality of a university. Granted, every university wants the best possible students, but just because a university has the brightest students doesn't make it a "top university". Contrastingly, I think it's more important for a university to have the best possible professors, rather than students.
Reply 88

The problem with league tables is that they're not using a suitable methodology, therefore (in my opinion) league tables give a skewed picture of how the universities should be ranked. Any potential employer won't care about what the universities entry requirements were, or how satisfied the students were.
Very well researched look at the prestige and reputation in the job market of universities by an ex MBB management consultant:

http://www.nairaland.com/141689/rough-guide-best-most-reputable

Thanks, but damn this has turned around my previous opinions completely. I thought Durham (A*A*A) > Warwick (A*AA) > UCL (AAA). I thought Durham had the best Physics department out of the three. Is general prestige better than specific department quality? Is there no subject-specific prestige?
Thanks, but damn this has turned around my previous opinions completely. I thought Durham (A*A*A) > Warwick (A*AA) > UCL (AAA). I thought Durham had the best Physics department out of the three. Is general prestige better than specific department quality? Is there no subject-specific prestige?

I'm just a student myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt... but generally:

If you want to go into academia, department reputation/prestige matters most.
If you don't want to go into academia, general reputation/prestige matters most.

There are a few cases where this rule won't work however... for example, Warwick is firmly 6th if investment banking is where you want to go (the link putting it at 10).
(edited 8 years ago)
I'm just a student myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt... but generally:

If you want to go into academia, department reputation/prestige matters most.
If you don't want to go into academia, general reputation/prestige matters most.

There are a few cases where this rule won't work however... for example, Warwick is firmly 6th if investment banking is where you want to go (the link putting it at 10).

Original post by JohnGreek
Interesting question - I guy from Citigroup who I talked about Banking at a Careers evening said that the vast majority of the employers within his circle really weren't up to date with League Tables, and besides obviously tended to favour people who they personally knew (so from apprenticeships, dinners, etc.) This meant that there were very few names that stood out to him at all - Oxbridge was considered "elite" within his circle because of the rigorous selections process, the London unis (LSE/UCL/KCL/Met/LBS) were anywhere from "excellent" to "quite decent", and, other than Warwick and Bristol (where he had personally studied), the rest of the UK was an amorphous mass of "ok" unis that he couldn't distinguish from.

He even went as far to cite anecdotal evidence that a colleague had once confused Durham with Hull (which is worrying considering the fact that the occupy the very extremes of the league tables), and that the only thing that he'd heard about Nottingham was that Robin Hood had been there! (facetious of course, but you get his point)

The issue, as always, people just can't be arsed to even google a uni rankings table, and instead just believe in the reputations of the older, more established unis.

Mmmh, I appreciate you sharing these opinions and anecdotes. Definitely valuable and food for thought. Thanks!
Leiscter, UEA, Birmingham and Manchester.
Reply 93
(Sorry for the double-post guys)

Actually, you reminded me of an interesting thing I noticed earlier:Comparing two unis from the Guardian 2016 League table (found here)

UCL has higher grad prospects (80.9 vs 78.3), a higher entry tariff (admittedly meaningless and only really a signifier of competition, if anything), higher spending per student (is London controlled for?) and a better staff-to-student ratio.

However, Warwick beats it in student satisfaction in three areas (course/teaching/feedback), and gains a Guardian score of 84.6 vs only 81 for UCL.

If anything, this shows how the Guardian overall ranking is a lot more focused towards course quality rather than grad prospects (or indeed reputation in many courses such as Law).

That's why I no longer look at overall rankings, but rather at the very specific measures I'm interested in (usually student course satisfaction, staff ratios, employer rep and grad prospects), as they give a more precise reflection of what I'm seeking. I hope that other people do the same thing :smile:

While I fully agree that rankings do have their uses (i.e. for students to see student satisfaction, graduate prospects, staff ratios), they do not properly reflect the academia side of things. Universities are not being ranked on the quality of research, their research power, their funding opportunities, the quality of staff/lecturers and resources available, all of which I think would be more useful criteria in order to measure how "good" a university is.
I think many people assume that just because a university is ranked in the top 10 it's automatically better than the rest of the lot, when that's certainly not always the case.
Reply 94
Definitely agree with that, even though I'd argue that the quality of staff/lecturers and resources available is difficult to quantify, which is why rankings agencies take the easy route by asking students to rank different things about the course on an arbitrary scale. As for research, I believe that there should be a separate ranking for postgrads + research students (even though one admittedly choses a uni for PhDs based on things other than its nominal ranking on any League Table) putting more weight on that side of things. I may personally not care about Law research at this point in time, but if I end up pursuing a DPhil/LLD, I most definitely will :biggrin:

However, I think that we agree that a single "one-size-fits-all" table really doesn't help at all. It's all about how you use it in conjunction with other resources.

It would be hard to quantify, you're absolutely right. I'm just saying that if rankings were to truly measure the quality of universities, those were the things that they should measure for.

I agree that there should be different rankings depending on whether we're talking about undergraduate or postgraduate. Undergraduates would care about things such as student satisfaction, perhaps graduate prospects and so on. Meanwhile I could imagine postgraduates would value the universities research power/quality and their respective departments. And I would seriously hope no future PhDs would make such a major decision on such an arbitrary factor.

http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2015/graduate_market/GMReport15.pdf
Page 33 (although the rest of the report is worth reading too - especially the growing use of internships and placements as a recruitment route- Surrey and Bath succeed in the UK rankings because of their placement schemes as much as their NSS success).
University Campus Suffolk - it's only been open since 2007 and is very very small in comparison to most universities, but I think it's definitely underestimated. I love the feel of it and many students there say because of the size, you build very good relationships with the staff :smile:
Original post by PQ
http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2015/graduate_market/GMReport15.pdf
Page 33 (although the rest of the report is worth reading too - especially the growing use of internships and placements as a recruitment route- Surrey and Bath succeed in the UK rankings because of their placement schemes as much as their NSS success).

Thanks; it's interesting how Oxbridge is beaten by Warwick, Manchester and Nottingham, and how low down Imperial and LSE are.. Was not expecting that.

Well LinkedIn is one way of checking. RG unis will almost invariably send more alumni to places like PwC than non-RG unis.

Or check this, indicating the same thing that LinkedIn does: http://www.highfliers.co.uk/download/2015/graduate_market/GMReport15.pd

League tables can be used, but with a large pinch of salt, and generally don't use the Guardian's league table because it is an absolute joke and helps nobody: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2015/05/young-people-should-be-wary-of-the-guardians-university-league-table/
Oxford. No 1 in research but people don't realize that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending