The Student Room Group

Free school meals to billionaire

Now wouldn't that be a success story?

Scroll to see replies

I mean there’s a few billionaires who aren’t far off from that, Jeff bezos being one and mark Zuckerberg came from quite humble beginnings.
Original post by ALEreapp
I mean there’s a few billionaires who aren’t far off from that, Jeff bezos being one and mark Zuckerberg came from quite humble beginnings.

Both of them had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in their startups by family. Hardly "humble beginnings".
Original post by artful_lounger
Both of them had hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in their startups by family. Hardly "humble beginnings".

Jeff bezos was born to a 17 year old shortly becoming a single mother due to his alcoholic father. His adopted step father was a Cuban immigrant who grew up in the revolution so again not sure what’s not humble beginnings about that… they did have money in his later years, yes but they did not start off with money.
Zuckerberg still came from quite a modest background although not as much as Bezos when you compare it to the likes of Elon musk and his family. Zuckerberg had a dentist and psychiatrist as parents so again comfortable but not an extravagant upbringing.
Zuckerberg had a dentist and psychiatrist as parents so again comfortable but not an extravagant upbringing.

I would argue being upper middle class in the States is far from humble...
Jeff bezos was born to a 17 year old shortly becoming a single mother due to his alcoholic father. His adopted step father was a Cuban immigrant who grew up in the revolution so again not sure what’s not humble beginnings about that… they did have money in his later years, yes but they did not start off with money.
Zuckerberg still came from quite a modest background although not as much as Bezos when you compare it to the likes of Elon musk and his family. Zuckerberg had a dentist and psychiatrist as parents so again comfortable but not an extravagant upbringing.

Did you know Elons dad kept slaves in Emerald Mines.
Original post by black tea

Right? Absolutely delusional.
Original post by Thisismyunitsr
Did you know Elons dad kept slaves in Emerald Mines.

Yes I did hence why I said ‘when you compare it to the likes of Elon musk’… because compared to his family being a single mother at 17 is an extremely humble beginning

I wouldn’t say having one working parent (his mum didn’t work after she had kids) in New York is upper middle class particularly when you have 4 kids to feed. Considering he’s a billionaire now having a dentist and doctor as parents is pretty humble.
I wouldn’t say having one working parent (his mum didn’t work after she had kids) in New York is upper middle class particularly when you have 4 kids to feed. Considering he’s a billionaire now having a dentist and doctor as parents is pretty humble.

If you don't understand what "humble" backgrounds in the US are then maybe don't comment on them? Living in New York with parents of a dentist and a doctor then going to Harvard is not a "humble" beginning. Also Jeff Bezos went to Princeton and his adoptive father was an engineer for Exxon. Once again, hardly "humble". He also had extended family working as directors of the Atomic Energy Commission among other things.

Stop perpetuating the myth that billionaires achieve their wealth due to their own "hard work" and not simply by a factor of generational wealth and connections, and screwing over every single employee they have.

To be able to afford not to work when you have kids is pretty privileged...
If you don't understand what "humble" backgrounds in the US are then maybe don't comment on them? Living in New York with parents of a dentist and a doctor then going to Harvard is not a "humble" beginning. Also Jeff Bezos went to Princeton and his adoptive father was an engineer for Exxon. Once again, hardly "humble". He also had extended family working as directors of the Atomic Energy Commission among other things.

Stop perpetuating the myth that billionaires achieve their wealth due to their own "hard work" and not simply by a factor of generational wealth and connections, and screwing over every single employee they have.

You finished your tantrum about something I never said or even hinted to?
if you don’t think growing up to a 17year old single mother who later got with a Cuban immigrant who grew up in a time of communism isn’t humble then I’m not going to entertain you further because it’s not me that’s delusional.
To be able to afford not to work when you have kids is pretty privileged...

Tell that to the many families who live on the breadline in this country (and actually in many countries) because they can’t afford childcare so one parent stays home whilst the other has to work to provide! What a tone deaf and clueless thing to say
Tell that to the many families who live on the breadline in this country (and actually in many countries) because they can’t afford childcare so one parent stays home whilst the other has to work to provide! What a tone deaf and clueless thing to say

Yes, but we are not talking about this country or about people living on the breadline. We are talking about a high-earning family in the States that could afford to do that. Look up how much doctors and dentists earn in the US :rolleyes:
Yes, but we are not talking about this country or about people living on the breadline. We are talking about a high-earning family in the States that could afford to do that. Look up how much doctors and dentists earn in the US :rolleyes:

In the 1980s it wasn’t as ruled by insurance companies and so comparing todays incomes to then is very different. Society is also very different where women did generally stay home to raise their families to avoid things like childcare etc
(edited 1 year ago)
Society is also very different where women did generally stay home to raise their families to avoid things like childcare etc

We are talking about the 80s-90s in the 20th century, not the 19th century.
We are talking about the 80s-90s in the 20th century, not the 19th century.

Yes… everything I’ve said still applies
Yes… everything I’ve said still applies

Talking from personal experience of growing up in those time, I'm sure...
You finished your tantrum about something I never said or even hinted to?
if you don’t think growing up to a 17year old single mother who later got with a Cuban immigrant who grew up in a time of communism isn’t humble then I’m not going to entertain you further because it’s not me that’s delusional.

Said Cuban immigrant was an Exxon engineer in the USA after he got his degree? His parents gave him $300,000 dollars to start up Amazon? After he graduated from an Ivy league university and worked at among other places, a hedge fund? Stop trying to warp this story into something it isn't.
Said Cuban immigrant was an Exxon engineer in the USA after he got his degree? His parents gave him $300,000 dollars to start up Amazon? After he graduated from an Ivy league university and worked at among other places, a hedge fund? Stop trying to warp this story into something it isn't.

So because his step dad was eventually successful that changes the fact bezos grew up when he wasn’t wealthy or successful? You really love tearing peoples achievements down (because he’s leaving communist Cuba and getting a degree in USA then becoming an Exxon engineer IS an insane achievement)… would it make you happier if no one ever made something of their life despite their circumstances? That’s how you are coming across anyway. I don’t need to warp anything you are just desperate to deny the plain fact that his start in life was humble. Also worked at McDonald’s but I guess that doesn’t fit your agenda does it?
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest