The Student Room Group

(OCR) A2 English Literature *F663* | 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE="xHazalx;64932033"]
Original post by wavecutter

I don't think 3 is enough, my English teacher told me to learn at least 5-7 critical quotes for each theme

Posted from TSR Mobile

3 is enough in the actual essay, I use three + one performance of Lear and get 28/30 but learn more just in case!
Original post by SHINee1998
Thank you so much for reading my essay! :biggrin:
This is reassuring. Hopefully, I can replicate this in the actual exam. *Fingers crossed*

Sam - you're going to get an A* no doubt!
Hi everyone! :biggrin: not gonna lie I'm kind of bricking it for this exam! If anyone has any quote learning tips please do share :colondollar:

AS Grade: A
A2 Personal Target Grade: A/A*
Section A: King Lear
Section B: The White Devil and Paradise Lost
Hi, this is my essay on Nature for King Lear.. Are there any improvements that I can make to it? Should I add more critics?

Hope you don't mind me commenting, since you've received loads of feedback already! :tongue:
Your integration of critics in this essay is brilliant, and your vocabulary is amazing- seriously, this reads so so well!

A couple of general points for nature:
1. If you're mentioning superfluous displays of emotion in your intro, I think it'd be useful to comment on the storm scene in particular- how the harsh, physical landscape is a direct reflection of Lear's inner turmoil and conflict. Whilst I see your essay is more weighted towards nature as in the more metaphorical sense, some elaboration on the importance of physical landscapes might be useful :smile:
2. Your points on natural order are particularly strong and well argued!
3. A good quote to consider for Edmund could be this: "Thou, Nature, art my goddess", from the start of his first soliloquy- Edmund is invoking nature's destructive potential in order to serve his own purposes, and since nature is personified as female this could be a rejection of then commonly held notions of a patriarchal god. He does not seek union with nature, but wants to utilise it to destroy natural order. This might tie in well with your final G. Wilson Knight quote!
Original post by sophia.lega
Sam - you're going to get an A* no doubt!

Thank you, Soph! :biggrin:

And you will definitely get the grades you want too! You can do it!!!

Original post by penguindrum
Hope you don't mind me commenting, since you've received loads of feedback already! :tongue:
Your integration of critics in this essay is brilliant, and your vocabulary is amazing- seriously, this reads so so well!

A couple of general points for nature:
1. If you're mentioning superfluous displays of emotion in your intro, I think it'd be useful to comment on the storm scene in particular- how the harsh, physical landscape is a direct reflection of Lear's inner turmoil and conflict. Whilst I see your essay is more weighted towards nature as in the more metaphorical sense, some elaboration on the importance of physical landscapes might be useful :smile:
2. Your points on natural order are particularly strong and well argued!
3. A good quote to consider for Edmund could be this: "Thou, Nature, art my goddess", from the start of his first soliloquy- Edmund is invoking nature's destructive potential in order to serve his own purposes, and since nature is personified as female this could be a rejection of then commonly held notions of a patriarchal god. He does not seek union with nature, but wants to utilise it to destroy natural order. This might tie in well with your final G. Wilson Knight quote!

Thank you so much for the feedback! Your points on Edmund and the physical landscapes are absolutely fantastic!

It's given me some ideas...

For example, the deviation from hegemonic masculinity via feminine forces like nature could tie in with Lear relinquishing his power and status, and giving the Kingdom to Goneril and Reagan. They could possibly be an embodiment of the societal aversion toward the idea of a matriarchy.
Many were apprehensive about Queen Elizabeth ruling the country. Even going as far as to write books about it: http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualNLs/firblast.htm

I also think the aggressive imagery that accompanies nature, such as "sulfurous" fires and the "cracking" of cheeks could possibly be an allusion to Goneril and Reagan's transgressive attributes. Could also be linked to the frequent animalistic imagery that is often attributed to them.

"teemed" - often used when referring to an animal that has given birth... not very nice.
"serpent" - alludes to the Genesis story of Adam and Eve... Intertextual reference to Macbeth? Lady Macbeth advises Macbeth to "be the serpent underneath the flower".
"detested kite"

Also, there is the cultural/social notion that women are prone to making arbitrary decisions. That they are impulsive and unbridled. The dynamics of Lear's relationship with his daughters are based on control, as evidenced by Lear's use of imperatives when addressing his daughters "which of you doth love us most", and the way they reply to him as well! "Sir, I love you more than words can wield matter", the formal tone that accompanies a supposed declaration of love toward one's father, is quite jarring tbh.
Hi everyone! :biggrin: not gonna lie I'm kind of bricking it for this exam! If anyone has any quote learning tips please do share :colondollar:

AS Grade: A
A2 Personal Target Grade: A/A*
Section A: King Lear
Section B: The White Devil and Paradise Lost

About learning quotes..
You don't have to memorise the quote in its entirety, just learn individual words from your selection of quotes. It makes it easier to purposely take the word out of context in order to fit the "narrative" of the question.

Oh, and also for critics.. I usually learn segments of the actual quote, for example, what I did in that nature essay is that I took an Onyette quotation and only included the beginning of the quote. This basically makes the critic quotes relevant to any question!
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much for the feedback! Your points on Edmund and the physical landscapes are absolutely fantastic!

It's given me some ideas...

For example, the deviation from hegemonic masculinity via feminine forces like nature could tie in with Lear relinquishing his power and status, and giving the Kingdom to Goneril and Reagan. They could possibly be an embodiment of the societal aversion toward the idea of a matriarchy.
Many were apprehensive about Queen Elizabeth ruling the country. Even going as far as to write books about it: http://www.swrb.com/newslett/actualNLs/firblast.htm

I also think the aggressive imagery that accompanies nature, such as "sulfurous" fires and the "cracking" of cheeks could possibly be an allusion to Goneril and Reagan's transgressive attributes. Could also be linked to the frequent animalistic imagery that is often attributed to them.

"teemed" - often used when referring to an animal that has given birth... not very nice.
"serpent" - alludes to the Genesis story of Adam and Eve... Intertextual reference to Macbeth? Lady Macbeth advises Macbeth to "be the serpent underneath the flower".
"detested kite"

Also, there is the cultural/social notion that women are prone to making arbitrary decisions. That they are impulsive and unbridled. The dynamics of Lear's relationship with his daughters are based on control, as evidenced by Lear's use of imperatives when addressing his daughters "which of you doth love us most", and the way they reply to him as well! "Sir, I love you more than words can wield matter", the formal tone that accompanies a supposed declaration of love toward one's father, is quite jarring tbh.

Those are all excellent points! Particularly about women, it's a great way to tie in context about misogyny- Lear claims that "But to the girdle do the gods inherit; beneath is all the fiends". The comparison of women and the devil, as well as the frequent comparisons to animals definitely highlights a sense of moral degradation! Nice link to Lady Macbeth, another arguably transgressive female figure.

If we're talking about the love test, then I think it's important to note that Lear is forcing familial love, normally very private, to become a public spectacle. He is literally pitting his own children against each other to fight for his love, which arguably precludes the nature of his demands of authentic love.
Goneril and Regan's extensive usage of hyperbole really highlights how fake their proclamations are- it almost comes across as overcompensating? And I definitely agree with the whole jarring formality thing too- it makes their words seem heartless and empty.
Contrast that with Cordelia's pure affection and truth, which Lear in his folly mistakes for a challenge to his patriarchal authority.

Lear's journey and suffering allows him to see his own mistakes and failings as a ruler ("O I have ta'en/Too little care of this") and as a father ("Pray you now, forget and forgive./I am old and foolish.) - he learns to see the flaws in his own human nature.
About learning quotes..
You don't have to memorise the quote in its entirety, just learn individual words from your selection of quotes. It makes it easier to purposely take the word out of context in order to fit the "narrative" of the question.

Oh, and also for critics.. I usually learn segments of the actual quote, for example, what I did in that nature essay is that I took an Onyette quotation and only included the beginning of the quote. This basically makes the critic quotes relevant to any question!

That's super helpful, thank you! I need to focus on learning lots of short quotes instead of longer ones :colondollar: time to crack out the flashcards again...!
Those are all excellent points! Particularly about women, it's a great way to tie in context about misogyny- Lear claims that "But to the girdle do the gods inherit; beneath is all the fiends". The comparison of women and the devil, as well as the frequent comparisons to animals definitely highlights a sense of moral degradation! Nice link to Lady Macbeth, another arguably transgressive female figure.

If we're talking about the love test, then I think it's important to note that Lear is forcing familial love, normally very private, to become a public spectacle. He is literally pitting his own children against each other to fight for his love, which arguably precludes the nature of his demands of authentic love.
Goneril and Regan's extensive usage of hyperbole really highlights how fake their proclamations are- it almost comes across as overcompensating? And I definitely agree with the whole jarring formality thing too- it makes their words seem heartless and empty.
Contrast that with Cordelia's pure affection and truth, which Lear in his folly mistakes for a challenge to his patriarchal authority.

Lear's journey and suffering allows him to see his own mistakes and failings as a ruler ("O I have ta'en/Too little care of this":wink: and as a father ("Pray you now, forget and forgive./I am old and foolish.) - he learns to see the flaws in his own human nature.

Oh my God! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. They are great and incredibly helpful!
Oh my God! Thank you so much for sharing your ideas. They are great and incredibly helpful!

No problem! It's helping me revise this all too tbh! :biggrin: (plus it's always nice to see a kpop fan :wink: )
No problem! It's helping me revise this all too tbh! :biggrin: (plus it's always nice to see a kpop fan :wink: )

Yay! Another Kpop fan!!
*happy dances*

Bloody hell that's some analysis from you lot. I'm only crying out for a C grade in this but wow the level of English you lot have is something else and ideas.
Original post by wavecutter
Bloody hell that's some analysis from you lot. I'm only crying out for a C grade in this but wow the level of English you lot have is something else and ideas.

I know right? Penguindrum is on a whole other level!

And, I'm sure you'll be surprised that you can achieve higher than your predicted grades! Don't doubt yourself.

It's not about using really fancy vocabulary (it still has to have a formal tone, though) but more about being tactical.

You could literally achieve 26+ marks with a "simple" essay. What catches a lot of people out is that a lot of people don't link back to the question. Or sometimes what they write is not relevant to what has been asked. You could write an essay that is literally post-graduate level but if you're not engaging with the question, you may get lower marks.
I know right? Penguindrum is on a whole other level!

And, I'm sure you'll be surprised that you can achieve higher than your predicted grades! Don't doubt yourself.

It's not about using really fancy vocabulary (it still has to have a formal tone, though) but more about being tactical.

You could literally achieve 26+ marks with a "simple" essay. What catches a lot of people out is that a lot of people don't link back to the question. Or sometimes what they write is not relevant to what has been asked. You could write an essay that is literally post-graduate level but if you're not engaging with the question, you may get lower marks.

That is absolutely true it, from what I learnt last year you have to link back to the question such as referring to the quotation in the question in your answer to get the marks. That way it shows you are answering the question and this is what they want to see. I mean surprisingly before I took last years exam I was like achieving D's and E's in my Yeats essays in class but went into the exam and thought why don't I refer back to the question and I came out with a solid C which I was over the moon about. Absolutely imperative it is to refer back to the question!
[QUOTE="ORW;64932499"]
Original post by xHazalx

I echo this my teacher said last year about 7 critics quotes for Lear (did not specify what themes just to have about 7 critics quotes max). Also do not rely on one critic too heavily

Would you use 7 in the essay? Seems excessive when you only have an hour or do you mean just learn them in case you need them? :smile:
Reply 196
Fatherhood and Caliban came up for the new OCR AS Tempest questions... You guys think they'll not add them now to our paper?
7,300 words of 'King Lear' critics if anyone is interested. This is what I do in my spare time!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by itsConnor_
7,300 words of 'King Lear' critics if anyone is interested. This is what I do in my spare time!!!

Oh my god, this is so amazing! Thanks so much, I'll definitely be using it!

Haha at least your spare time is spent productively :wink:
Original post by IGotThePower
Oh my god, this is so amazing! Thanks so much, I'll definitely be using it!

Haha at least your spare time is spent productively :wink:

np :smile: good to hear! Struggling with 'Tis Pity' and especially Blake ('Songs of Innocence and Experience') critics though :s

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending