The Student Room Group

(OCR) A2 English Literature *F663* | 2016 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sally.7
I'm really struggling with this whole 'minor characters' thing! So many people have predicted it, but how do you define which characters are minor, and what do you think the focus of the question could be?

Any help would be so much appreciated thank you!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say that minor characters are Edgar, Kent and Albany! Not sure about the focus of the question though :smile:
Original post by sophia.lega
I would say that minor characters are Edgar, Kent and Albany! Not sure about the focus of the question though :smile:

But then again- the role of the fool would appear rather Minor, yet he came up alone last year. I'm really dreading this exam. 😔
My teacher averred Kent would be unlikely in and of himself- the Fool, she says, has a more 'important' role so to speak, as the chorus of the play, and whilst a relatively 'minor' character, the quotations are very easy to engage with and explore more readily. She says Kent would more likely be a train of thought in a thematic question on disguise and/or appearance (in tandem with Edgar, Lear, etc.).

Her predictions were Edgar and/or Edmund, Lear, or Goneril and Regan.
(edited 7 years ago)
Can everybody post their teachers replies on predictions for King Lear.

Mine Predicts the theme of disguises and King Lear himself as the character question.
Reply 404
Anyone predict anything for Antony and Cleopatra?

My teachers say Enobarbus because he's never been done, but I find that so unlikely because every subject whenever its 'not been done' it doesn't come up and the exam board revisit something else! I think it'll be a question on Antony. Theme question predictions?

Same with the part b? I'm doing the Rivals and WOB.
Reply 405
Any critics quotations for Antony and Cleo, The Rivals or WOB?

Also, any general quotations that would be good to learn?

Ty x
Reply 406
Also, sorry for posting 3 times in a row, but could someone help me with UCAS points?

Last year I got 126 UCAS points with 2 C's, I've resat the exam but for the sake of generalising let's just keep it at 126.

This year in my coursework I got 37/40, I don't know what that means for UCAS Points.

Any idea on what I'd need to get in the exam based on this to get an A? B?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thank you! xx
Reply 407
Thank you , this is much appreciated :colondollar:
Original post by mp2305
Also, sorry for posting 3 times in a row, but could someone help me with UCAS points?

Last year I got 126 UCAS points with 2 C's, I've resat the exam but for the sake of generalising let's just keep it at 126.

This year in my coursework I got 37/40, I don't know what that means for UCAS Points.

Any idea on what I'd need to get in the exam based on this to get an A? B?

Any help would be appreciated guys, thank you! xx

I'm assuming you mean UMS rather than UCAS, here!

The A-Level is marked out of 400 UMS; AS and A2, then, are 200 UMS each. An A is 320 UMS (80%); a B is 280 UMS (70%).

A-Level Targets:
> 320 - 126 = 194 UMS required for an A.
> 280 - 126 = 154 UMS required for a B.

A2-Level Targets
So! Coursework is worth 80 UMS in total (40%), so 37 / 40 would be worth approximately* 74 UMS.
> 194 - 74 = 120 UMS required on the exam for an A.
> 154 - 74 = 80 UMS required on the exam for a B.

Unfortunately, the exam is worth 120 UMS (60%), so in order to get an A, you would need 100% UMS (which would constitute an A*). In order to get a B, however, you would need some 67% UMS.

*Remember, UMS =/= raw marks!

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you! :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sjurn
Just sent you a PM :smile:

pm it to me too fam
Reply 410
Original post by CogentVerbosity
I'm assuming you mean UMS rather than UCAS, here!

The A-Level is marked out of 400 UMS; AS and A2, then, are 200 UMS each. An A is 320 UMS (80%); a B is 280 UMS (70%).

A-Level Targets:
> 320 - 126 = 194 UMS required for an A.
> 280 - 126 = 154 UMS required for a B.

A2-Level Targets
So! Coursework is worth 80 UMS in total (40%), so 37 / 40 would be worth approximately* 74 UMS.
> 194 - 74 = 120 UMS required on the exam for an A.
> 154 - 74 = 80 UMS required on the exam for a B.

Unfortunately, the exam is worth 120 UMS (60%), so in order to get an A, you would need 100% UMS (which would constitute an A*). In order to get a B, however, you would need some 67% UMS.

*Remember, UMS =/= raw marks!

I hope that helps! Best of luck to you! :smile:

Thank you!
Reply 411
Does anyone have a close or full marks essay for Antony and Cleopatra, as well as The Rivals and the Wife of Bath?
Original post by mp2305
Thank you!

37/40 is 68 UMS, unfortunately. You are unable to get an A.
From my experience last year, I have very little faith in the markers. After originally being awarded a D for my paper, my remark came back 18 raw marks higher at an A grade.
Original post by cybound123
heya, does anyone have an predictions for the antony and cleopatra question? my teacher says maybe one focused on enobarbus?

My English Teacher for A+C suggested to us that Enobarbus or minor characters generally would be highly likely to appear. However it could also be something to do with just Cleo or the relationship between the her and Ant.
Does anyone have any predictions on The Tempest? OR The White devil and Paradise lost?
Reply 416
Original post by antebellum
37/40 is 68 UMS, unfortunately. You are unable to get an A.

Thank you, I hope my resit last year was better so hopefully an A would be achievable. If not, a B is always great.
Original post by amy97!
I'm doing TWD with Blake and am thoroughly revising the theme of power and how that is associated with corruption, since a question comes up on power every year and I am hoping that this year, it is nothing different! Ao I would recommend you revise that theme alongside the rest 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I'm hoping for that to come up too, but you can't guarantee it :frown: what are you planning to talk about for that? For TWD I'd probably bring in Monticelso, Brachiano and Giovanni
King lear predictions?
I recon Edgar or Edmund will come up for the character question, maybe something on nature or Justice for the theme idk. But I think there will be a good chance the sub plot will come up for Lear, or Lear himself since his hasn't come up in a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending