The Student Room Group

A lightweight AS question?

An easy question for the f38 regulars?

Scroll to see replies

Solution to follow, when you're ready...if anyone is interested.
Reply 2
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
Solution to follow, when you're ready...if anyone is interested.

very good question
y=0.098x+0.0343 by the looks of it lol
Original post by GeologyMaths
y=0.098x+0.0343 by the looks of it lol

I'm afraid that doesn't even look right.
Reply 5
When I saw 'lightweight AS' I thought I might be able to do it using what I've learnt in additional maths... I was mistaken. Any clues on how to solve it?(Using some guesswork based on what the graph looks like I have y=0.136x+0.0176 which seems to be closeish)
No clues just yet. All I will say is that when find the right approach it will be easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lelanor
When I saw 'lightweight AS' I thought I might be able to do it using what I've learnt in additional maths... I was mistaken. Any clues on how to solve it?(Using some guesswork based on what the graph looks like I have y=0.136x+0.0176 which seems to be closeish)

You know the original function, the gradient function, and that the tangent touches the curve twice. Setting up a set of simultaneous equations could be a start.
Will try this. Can you hold on?
Right then, I have spent enough time on this.
The best I can do is y=0.12x + 0.025, but it uses the diagram, something I was hoping to avoid using my simultaneous equations.

My conclusion: this isn't a "lightweight" problem particularly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by qwertzuiop
Right then, I have spent enough time on this.
The best I can do is y=0.12x + 0.025, but it uses the diagram, something I was hoping to avoid using my simultaneous equations.

My conclusion: this isn't a "lightweight" problem particularly.

It's just algebra. I've just started. Hopefully I'm done in 20 minutes :tongue:. It will be so embarrassing if I get it wrong as I've done more maths than you, probably.
Reply 11
this is an excellent question!!
(sorry that I am about to steal it, as I am about to write a neat detailed solution for one of my papers, but will not post it)
Original post by keromedic
It's just algebra. I've just started. Hopefully I'm done in 20 minutes :tongue:. It will be so embarrassing if I get it wrong as I've done more maths than you, probably.

What level are you at?
Clearly not at the pinnacle of your mathematical career if you claim a problem, which blatantly involves calculus, is purely algebraic.

The system of equations which can be established is algebraic however.

Good luck.
How do you put a spoiler alert?
Original post by L-Tyrosine
How do you put a spoiler alert?

The face with an X over the mouth
Beautiful
(edited 8 years ago)

Spoiler

Don't care if this is wrong. I cbb looking over that working.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by TeeEm
this is an excellent question!!
(sorry that I am about to steal it, as I am about to write a neat detailed solution for one of my papers, but will not post it)

It will be interesting to see your solution.

Mine is

Spoiler

Reply 19
Original post by BuryMathsTutor
It will be interesting to see your solution.

Mine is

Spoiler

I have not done a neat one yet (babysitting today)
my method is double repeated root
compare coefficients
and quick answer

Quick Reply

Latest