The Student Room Group

The Go-Between

My mock exams are coming up pretty soon and I am practising essay questions. I've come across the following question:
“Marian and Mrs Maudsley are both victims of the society and era in which they live”
How far do we agree or disagree with this statement?
I would like to know what key points any of you think are useful to mention and why. Also the novel is set in the 1900's so any historical context would be great to add.
Original post by StudentX101
My mock exams are coming up pretty soon and I am practising essay questions. I've come across the following question:
“Marian and Mrs Maudsley are both victims of the society and era in which they live”
How far do we agree or disagree with this statement?
I would like to know what key points any of you think are useful to mention and why. Also the novel is set in the 1900's so any historical context would be great to add.

You're studying a novel and you know NOTHING of the context surrounding the novel? My goodness...
Reply 2
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You're studying a novel and you know NOTHING of the context surrounding the novel? My goodness...

Who said NOTHING? I do know the context of my novel. However I've reread the same extracts countless times. So I just thought a fresh pair of eyes can create new links with the history of that era. I may have missed key features. Also everyone has their own interpretation therefore I can see it from another persons perspective. Sorry I wasn't clear enough but that doesn't warrant such sarcasm and jerk-like behaviour.
Who said NOTHING? I do know the context of my novel. However I've reread the same extracts countless times. So I just thought a fresh pair of eyes can create new links with the history of that era. I may have missed key features. Also everyone has their own interpretation therefore I can see it from another persons perspective. Sorry I wasn't clear enough but that doesn't warrant such sarcasm and jerk-like behaviour.

You didn't even say you were reading a damn extract?

I don't even know what you're on about!
Reply 4
Original post by The Empire Odyssey
You didn't even say you were reading a damn extract?

I don't even know what you're on about!

All I want is some help. If you're not going to be helpful then I suggest you stop replying. Actually just stop I don't want help from people like you.
All I want is some help. If you're not going to be helpful then I suggest you stop replying. Actually just stop I don't want help from people like you.

Well you shouldn't come on here expecting someone to do your work for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending