The Student Room Group

Should I apply to Durham or LSE?

I'm a Scottish Law applicant who is trying to figure out what uni to choose for their final UCAS slot. So far I have an unconditional offer from Glasgow, and I am hoping to get an unconditional from Edinburgh. I was rejected from Oxford post-interview and was also rejected from UCL (no reason given aside from not being as good as other applicants which is fair, although I suspect it was my LNAT essay). I have a bit of a dilemma as to whether I should apply to LSE or Durham for my final choice.

I'm quite interested in going into commercial/corporate law, and obviously London is the centre of all of this. I think LSE probably has a slight edge on Durham in terms of reputation and career prospects in this area. I do have some concerns surrounding LSE though. I have heard some complaints regarding UG teaching and student satisfaction. I'm also not that well off, so I'm unsure whether or not I'd be able to do that much socially, e.g. spend an extortionate amount on a night out. The fact that LSE isn't a campus uni also gives me the idea I might miss out on the proper 'student experience' if that makes sense. This isn't to say I think I would hate studying at LSE or anything like that, just that I've heard those complaints and I'm not entirely too sure about it.

On the other hand, I like the aesthetic at Durham and think it might give me more of a 'university' experience. The only problem is actually getting in. I have good grades and I feel my PS is quite strong, but in my opinion, while my MC went quite well, my LNAT essay was quite poor. I've been rejected from 2 out of 3 LNAT unis, and Durham is still really competitive, so I'm unsure as to whether or not I'd receive a place due to my poor LNAT essay. Even if I were to receive a place, there's also the issue that Durham actually has higher entry requirements for Scottish applicants. A lot of unis (Oxbridge, LSE, KCL etc.) have slightly lower entry requirements than they would for A-Level. LSE's offer is between AAB and AAA for AH, whereas Durham want A1AA (think A*AA, but for Advanced Highers I'd equate this to A*A*A). I consider myself a good student, but I wouldn't be that confident in meeting that offer.

Sorry for the long post - I understand that this is obviously something I'll primarily have to answer for myself. Obviously both places are great universities and I'd be happy to receive an offer from either, but I can only apply to one. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on my dilemma, or better yet, if anyone from either of these unis could give me their input? Thanks a lot :smile:
Reply 1
Shameless bump :colondollar:
Reply 2
Will you be as happy if you go to either Glasgow or Edinburgh? If yes, I guess there is no harm taking a risk and applying to the one you like more. True that LSE is better known but it seems that law firms generally prefer Durham to LSE:
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf

Your LNAT may not be as bad as you think. After all, you got an interview at Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
By the way, I am also an Oxford rejectee and holder of a conditional from Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by leehoma
Will you be as happy if you go to either Glasgow or Edinburgh? If yes, I guess there is no harm taking a risk and applying to the one you like more. True that LSE is better known but it seems that law firms generally prefer Durham to LSE:
http://d1d1tdqerevjwu.cloudfront.net/resources/2013/What_is_a_good_university.pdf

Your LNAT may not be as bad as you think. After all, you got an interview at Oxford.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'd definitely be happy at either, I guess the trouble is just figuring out which I prefer over Durham or LSE haha. I don't really think there's any major rep differences in the UK, but I feel like LSE might be a tad better for any international opportunities, or if I decide on an alternative career route away from Law. My LNAT essay was pretty awful tbh but I guess other parts of my application are strong.

Original post by leehoma
By the way, I am also an Oxford rejectee and holder of a conditional from Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And congrats!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending