The Student Room Group

Should I take Further Maths if applying to PPE?

Hey,
I am currently doing my GCSEs, and I have to choose the A-levels I want to study next year. I am hoping to apply for PPE at Oxford and other top universities, or courses of that equivalent ie. HSPS at Cambridge.
Right now, I am thinking of taking Maths, History, Economics and English Lit. as my four subjects.
However, I was wondering if doing Further Maths (instead of Economics or English Lit.) would strengthen my application to PPE (to Oxford and to other universities such as UCL)? My teacher has said I am most likely capable of doing it at A-level, but I was wondering whether it would make a difference.
Alternatively, if the subject is helpful, would it be worse to do Further Maths and not gain as good marks, rather than just not taking Further Maths in the first place?
Would accelerated maths be something I should consider instead?

Any advice would be appreciated, many thanks!
What are your strengths? I mean, if you're stronger at English lit I'd probably stick with that but you have to bear in mind 1) You need strong essay writing abilities. Something you can get from History and Economics. 2) You will need mathematical and logical abilities for Economics and Philosophy, in that order. So having two essay subjects and two maths A levels would be useful but you could still probably get away with one maths A level and doing English lit. With that being said it probably wouldn't hurt to just contact the universities(colleges) and ask for yourself. Either way would probably be fine and the stronger your grades are the stronger your chances are.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending