The Student Room Group

Cambridge University to introduce written admissions tests

Prospective students will have to complete assessment as part of their application ‘to prove potential to succeed’

Potential Cambridge students will have to sit written tests as part of their application in future, the university has announced.

In a change to its admission system, the prestigious institution confirmed it was introducing written assessments, tailored to each subject, which will be taken by candidates either before or at their interview.

The move will affect students applying for courses starting in autumn 2017 when in a major overhaul of the exams system sixth-formers will sit the first batch of new GCSEs and A-levels in some subjects.

In a letter to UK schools and colleges, Dr Sam Lucy, the university’s director of admission, said the change would provide “valuable additional evidence of our applicants’ academic abilities, knowledge base and potential to succeed in the Cambridge course for which they have applied”.

“This move is a result of responding to teacher and student feedback, a desire to harmonise and simplify our existing use of written assessments and a need to develop new ways to maintain the effectiveness and fairness of our admissions system during ongoing qualification reform,” Lucy added.

Cambridge University has been outspoken about a key plank of the government’s exams reforms the decision to hive off AS-levels from A-levels to form a standalone qualification.

It has argued that for admission to its courses, AS-levels are the best predictor of how well a student will perform in every subject except maths.

In November 2014, it wrote to all schools and colleges urging teachers to continue to offer the qualification.

From summer 2017, sixth-formers will be sitting new A-level exams in some subjects, and existing A-levels in others.

In addition, while some schools and colleges will opt to keep one-year AS-levels and teach them alongside A-levels, others are set to drop the qualification to focus on the two-year qualifications.

:beard: :cookie:

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/education/2016/feb/02/cambridge-university-to-introduce-written-admissions-tests

Scroll to see replies

Hm. Will kids from some backgrounds be disadvantaged because they won't be able to get the coaching to pass the tests? Or will they be designed with this in mind?

Would be lovely to hear what people with more knowledge about Cambridge have to say/think...
(edited 8 years ago)
I don't see how this will actually change the process a great deal, as I thought Cambridge already has admissions tests for nearly all degrees - it's just that different colleges use different tests.

If they are making it the same tests for all applicants to a degree, and releasing past papers, then surely that would actually make the whole process easier.
I think this is a step backwards (at least in the short-term).

Cambridge had pretty good data on how good an indicator AS results were (for tripos success), now that's gone they have to resort to these tests. So their ability to make informed decisions has been somewhat diminished.

Many subjects already had admissions tests anyway (Cambridge Law Test, STEP etc), so for some subjects it doesn't look like they're replacing the lack of AS level results, and will just have to adjust to life without this information?
Good

A STEP in the right direction...
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Hm. Will kids from some backgrounds be disadvantaged because they won't be able to get the coaching to pass the tests? Or will they be designed with this in mind?

Would be lovely to hear what people with more knowledge about Cambridge have to say/think...

That some sort of tests were to be introduced appeared almost inevitable. What I find interesting is the apparently limited nature of the tests to be introduced.

Back in the day, Cambridge had a full suite of entrance exams: in 1977 I sat 6 three hour exams for entry to mathematics.

I suspect they've chosen the form and scope that they have precisely to avoid the problem of limiting opportunity to those who have the resources to prepare for a grueling entrance exam. After all, Cambridge has an absolutely superb record of opening up opportunity to those from less privileged backgrounds, and supporting those who make it; I'm sure they want to keep it that way!

The challenge for them, of course, will be in extracting the information they need from such a short series of assessments.

Oh, but the mathematicians still have to endure STEP :smile:
Reply 6

I haven't yet read the article (!) but Cambridge already has a range of "at interview" tests for various courses - e.g. TSA, CSAT (new this year for CompSci), Law Test, college-specific tests for Maths / Engineering / etc. - so I expect this is just an expansion of existing practice.

I'm sure they will work hard to ensure "disadvantaged" children are given a fair shot. They already discourage over-preparation in candidates for interviews etc, and can usually spot it a mile away.
Bit of a shame they've had to do this. AS marks are currently the best predictor of success at Cambridge, so I imagine use of these tests won't be as reliable as their current admissions process.
Wait, they didn't do this already?

TSA...
Original post by jneill
I haven't yet read the article (!) but Cambridge already has a range of "at interview" tests for various courses - e.g. TSA, CSAT (new this year for CompSci), Law Test, college-specific tests for Maths / Engineering / etc. - so I expect this is just an expansion of existing practice.

An interesting line in Dr. Lucy's letter is that there is "a desire to harmonise and simplify our existing use of written assessments".

Perhaps it is not just an expansion of existing practice, but they are taking the opportunity to move to a more uniform practice across the colleges. We will see!
i feel that handwriting should play a not insignificant part in the selection process. young people nowadays are so often unable to produce attractive script; it is all clicky clicky clicky on their infernal gadgets. even if they are able to wield a pen it is not uncommon for them to be flummoxed by joined up writing. they seem unable to cope with anything for which there is not an app.
thus the top University will be able to sift out those truly deserving of a place by the quality of their penmanpersonship.
those who fall by the wayside can go to Oxford.

If it's truly about someone's potential rather than current ability then a lack of prep shouldn't make a difference.
Original post by Gregorius
That some sort of tests were to be introduced appeared almost inevitable. What I find interesting is the apparently limited nature of the tests to be introduced.

Back in the day, Cambridge had a full suite of entrance exams: in 1977 I sat 6 three hour exams for entry to mathematics.

I suspect they've chosen the form and scope that they have precisely to avoid the problem of limiting opportunity to those who have the resources to prepare for a grueling entrance exam. After all, Cambridge has an absolutely superb record of opening up opportunity to those from less privileged backgrounds, and supporting those who make it; I'm sure they want to keep it that way!

The challenge for them, of course, will be in extracting the information they need from such a short series of assessments.

Oh, but the mathematicians still have to endure STEP :smile:

As far as I know, this doesn't apply to Maths. The DoS's issued a joint statement noting that pre-interview tests have the potential to disadvantage. STEP it is I think, at least for the foreseeable future!

EDIT: In fact, this is confirmed: http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/applying/admissions-assessments
(edited 8 years ago)
I personally would have been wary about implementing this in a year where there's such an upheaval in the exam system, but that's Cambridge for you #filthyTabs :wink:

Banter aside, I do think in principle it could be a really good idea :smartass:
Original post by Drewski
If it's truly about someone's potential rather than current ability then a lack of prep shouldn't make a difference.

"Potential" is a bit of an airy-fairy word though, isn't it?

To me, the best predictor of potential (ie, how well you will do in the future) is how well you are currently performing.
All this will do is further disadvantage state school students, while Etonians and the like get even more fast-stream training...

Good. I hope we get to do two three-hour of tests for each subjects instead of interviews
(edited 8 years ago)
It'll be interesting to know if they plan to use the 2016 intake to calibrate the tests (ie compare AS results from them to their results on the test to check for rough equivalencies).
Reply 19
Original post by Gregorius
An interesting line in Dr. Lucy's letter is that there is "a desire to harmonise and simplify our existing use of written assessments".

Perhaps it is not just an expansion of existing practice, but they are taking the opportunity to move to a more uniform practice across the colleges. We will see!

Indeed, I'm sure that's the case. The CompSci CSAT is an example of this; a new test introduced this year and used by some but not all colleges in the first year but now will be standardised across all (I expect).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending