The Student Room Group

how likely am i to get into cambridge university?

i want to apply for classics. i don't currently study latin, so i'd be applying for the four year course, where you take a preliminary year of latin. i don't know whether this disadvantages me.
my gcse grades are so:
9s in english literature, language and media studies
8s in history and mandarin
7s in chemistry and religious studies
6s in maths, biology and physics
i'm currently studying psychology, english lit, mandarin and classics at a-level. just started year 12 so idk what my predicted grades are yet, but planning to work my socks off this year, hoping for A*s.
is cambridge possible? i'm not picky about colleges.
Why would applying to one course instead of the other disadvantage you? That doesn't even make sense. They have the course and they want to have students on it.

In any event there's no reason why it wouldn't be a reasonable option if you do get predicted the appropriate grades (A*AA) and do well on the admissions test (if there is still one running at that point) and in interview.
Original post by Anonymous #1
i want to apply for classics. i don't currently study latin, so i'd be applying for the four year course, where you take a preliminary year of latin. i don't know whether this disadvantages me.
my gcse grades are so:
i'm currently studying psychology, english lit, mandarin and classics at a-level. just started year 12 so idk what my predicted grades are yet, but planning to work my socks off this year, hoping for A*s.

Hi, I applied the four year course this year!! I'm Scottish so I do higher and I got 3 band 1s ad 2 bands 2s which I think is equivalent to 3 9s and 2 8s? Just as mine were, your strengths lie in social sciences which they will look favourably upon! either way I think you'd still have a very good chance particularly with this course to at least get to interview stage and from that point its very much a luck game I would say. Anyways, I wanted to wish you luck and please let me know If I can answer any questions about the interview/admissions test :smile:
Original post by username_66
Hi, I applied the four year course this year!! I'm Scottish so I do higher and I got 3 band 1s ad 2 bands 2s which I think is equivalent to 3 9s and 2 8s? Just as mine were, your strengths lie in social sciences which they will look favourably upon! either way I think you'd still have a very good chance particularly with this course to at least get to interview stage and from that point its very much a luck game I would say. Anyways, I wanted to wish you luck and please let me know If I can answer any questions about the interview/admissions test :smile:

hi, that's amazing! i'm assuming from your answer you managed to get an interview, so congratulations!!! i think it is around this time of year that results come out, so please let me know how it goes for you :smile:)

when you say admissions test, did you have a written exam for classics or did you just have to submit written essays? i know this is college dependent - which college did you apply to? thx sm for your response
Original post by ashleybridgers
hi, that's amazing! i'm assuming from your answer you managed to get an interview, so congratulations!!! i think it is around this time of year that results come out, so please let me know how it goes for you :smile:)

when you say admissions test, did you have a written exam for classics or did you just have to submit written essays? i know this is college dependent - which college did you apply to? thx sm for your response

thanks sm!! I got assigned to murray edwards through open application. The test was on zoom (as was most I think) and it's oral so they took me through a document filled with different sentences and asked me to identify grammatical features and then moved on to loads of different languages comparing them then finally did a small bit of latin. its all very guided and beginner friendly. they sent out a document with the invitation that talks about English grammar which was very useful. Good luck next year, hope you end up with the results you want whatever that may be :smile:
Original post by username_66
thanks sm!! I got assigned to murray edwards through open application. The test was on zoom (as was most I think) and it's oral so they took me through a document filled with different sentences and asked me to identify grammatical features and then moved on to loads of different languages comparing them then finally did a small bit of latin. its all very guided and beginner friendly. they sent out a document with the invitation that talks about English grammar which was very useful. Good luck next year, hope you end up with the results you want whatever that may be :smile:

thx so much! sounds like your interview went well, i wish u the best of luck - lmk how it goes for you 🙂
Original post by Anonymous #1
my gcse grades are so:

yes it is possible

they are looking for people with initiative to do independent study so trying to teach yourself some latin or taking part in the languages olympiad could help you with ur classical language aptitude test

then for your interview try to read the three epics fully in translation, research and understand classical genre's and do some independent research into an area of classics that interests you. this would help a lot for your interviews

good luck mate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending