Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of applying to oxford next year for medicine.
    I'm currently doing biology chemistry English lit and history at As level.
    My GCSE grades were 3 A* 7A 2B
    I know that this is below average, however I did them under difficult circumstances.
    If I am able to get all A's this year, do you think that there will be any chance of me getting an interview ?
    Do you know any one that is doing medicine there with similar grades?
    Kind regards

ReputationRep:
    strive to get A*s if you can because there may always be that one candidate with that one or two ums marks more than you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schoolgirl99)
    I know that this is below average, however I did them under difficult circumstances.
    If I am able to get all A's this year, do you think that there will be any chance of me getting an interview ?
    Kind regards
    Quite honestly, I think your odds aren't good at all.

Based on 2015 admissions statistics (http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics), no one who had 3A*s at GCSE or 0.25 proportion of A*s was interviewed. I imagine they will take into account your extenuating circumstances, but considering that the shortlisted interviewees have a mean number of 10.6 A*s and a pA* of 0.94, I think your grades would be quite a stretch.

If you get all As this year, I honestly think you're better off applying to Cambridge, where high UMS would help your chances better.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Kind regards
    Unfortunately no, applying to Oxford would be a waste of an option. If you look at the statistics Mishieru07 posted, your chance of getting in with 3A*s is exceedingly small. If you're applying for Medicine you can't really afford to waste choices on universities you don't have a reasonable chance of getting accepted by so I'd advise against applying, sorry

ReputationRep:
    Kind regards
    You'd be hard pushed to get an interview at any university for medicine with those grades let alone Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    Kind regards
    Don't do Medicine at Oxford, do Medicine at Cambridge, it's quite a bit better there. Also Oxford do a lot more emphasis on GCSE grades than Cambridge so as yours are fairly below average, you'd better off applying to Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Kind regards
    Sorry, but your GCSE's are considerably below average. You may have a chance if your extenuating circumstances are really bad, but if it's something like illness, bad teaching or family problems I don't think it would will be enough.

You have a bit of a better chance at Cambridge, where they place more emphasis on high UMS at AS over GCSE's. However, you will still be at somewhat of a disadvantage there with your GCSE's and lack of sciences at A-level (most applicants will have 3 or 4). Since medicine is so competitive at all universities (but yet a degree from Oxbridge isn't any more prestigious than any other), I'd recommend not applying to either, even if you get all A's at AS.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would not apply to Oxford.

Whilst Cambridge attaches less weight to GCSEs, and is easier to get into overall, you'd still struggle there.

Your application needs to be targeted to unis that don't attach much weight to GCSEs. With medicine almost 2 in 3 candidates fail to get any offers at all - you can't afford to throw away choices.

ReputationRep:
    just to weigh in, my friend applied to study medicine at Oxford and got rejected, she had done 6 AS levels (all high As) and 13 A*s at GCSE, and those were both from pretty bad schools in poverty areas. you have to also consider the BMAT and interviews. I'd say out of it all, the BMAT and the interview scores are the most important. I've just been through the whole process myself just not for medicine. Honestly, I'd email Oxford, Cambridge and any other universities you're considering, explaining your situation and your extenuating circumstances. they might make an exception if your BMAT results are good enough! what's important to remember though is that Oxford isn't everything, and medicine isn't everything. If things don't work out for you then it is no reflection on your own ability. Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for your honesty
    (Original post by sweeneyrod)
    Sorry, but your GCSE's are considerably below average. You may have a chance if your extenuating circumstances are really bad, but if it's something like illness, bad teaching or family problems I don't think it would will be enough.

You have a bit of a better chance at Cambridge, where they place more emphasis on high UMS at AS over GCSE's. However, you will still be at somewhat of a disadvantage there with your GCSE's and lack of sciences at A-level (most applicants will have 3 or 4). Since medicine is so competitive at all universities (but yet a degree from Oxbridge isn't any more prestigious than any other), I'd recommend not applying to either, even if you get all A's at AS.
    (Original post by nexttime)
    I would not apply to Oxford.

Whilst Cambridge attaches less weight to GCSEs, and is easier to get into overall, you'd still struggle there.

Your application needs to be targeted to unis that don't attach much weight to GCSEs. With medicine almost 2 in 3 candidates fail to get any offers at all - you can't afford to throw away choices.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jake_Bodels)
    My Background: (from Northern Ireland)
    GCSE's: 11A*
    A-Levels: Chemistry, Biology, Physics, Maths and Further Maths.

I intend on applying for medicine at Oxford in the future, and I was wondering if any other people want to team up (say 3-4) to start a medical blog and we can discuss and post articles every 1-2 weeks? Just to see if anybody is interested!
    Prospective Medic applicant this year too, and I'm up for it! DM me if you're still doing this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When I went for a medicine open day at Oxford they said the lowest they took last year was 6 A*s and that they've never taken someone with less than 5. So unless there's something about you that's so amazing they will have no choice but to do something they've never done before and take you it, is not worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    Quite honestly, I think your odds aren't good at all.

Based on 2015 admissions statistics (http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...cal/statistics), no one who had 3A*s at GCSE or 0.25 proportion of A*s was interviewed. I imagine they will take into account your extenuating circumstances, but considering that the shortlisted interviewees have a mean number of 10.6 A*s and a pA* of 0.94, I think your grades would be quite a stretch.

If you get all As this year, I honestly think you're better off applying to Cambridge, where high UMS would help your chances better.
    What's UMS and pA*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bfm.mcdermott)
    What's UMS and pA*?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme ie something akin to raw scores summed up across AS/ A level modules. Only applies to UK A levels I believe.

pA* means percentage of GCSE grades at A*. To use OP's grades, OP's pA* is 3 / (3 + 7 + 2) = 3 / 12 = 0.25

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mishieru07)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uniform_Mark_Scheme ie something akin to raw scores summed up across AS/ A level modules. Only applies to UK A levels I believe.

pA* means percentage of GCSE grades at A*. To use OP's grades, OP's pA* is 3 / (3 + 7 + 2) = 3 / 12 = 0.25
    Okay thanks so much! This was really useful cause I've been wondering this for a while and couldn't find it online

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.