The Student Room Group

OCR Biology A Exam Thread (Breadth - May 26, 2016 and Depth - June 7, 2016)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haes
how much do we need to know about plant defenses? my textbook has many different plant defenses and names for the chemicals produced, should i learn those?
also how much should we know about laser confocal microscopes?

When you say plant defenses what exactly are you referring to? Laser confocal Ive literally learnt that they use point illumination which cause neon colours to glow due to the fact the specimen is tagged with a fluorescent dye. They can show different depths have a high resolution and are non-invasive. That's all I've learnt :smile:
Reply 221
Original post by 0799NCB
When you say plant defenses what exactly are you referring to? Laser confocal Ive literally learnt that they use point illumination which cause neon colours to glow due to the fact the specimen is tagged with a fluorescent dye. They can show different depths have a high resolution and are non-invasive. That's all I've learnt :smile:

the production of callose, and names of insect repellents/anti-fungals/etc. if i recall correctly this is the new part of the spec

and okay that's literally all i know too!! the other thing i forgot to mention was biosensors... how much should i know about that because i've honestly forgotten about it lol
Original post by haes
the production of callose, and names of insect repellents/anti-fungals/etc. if i recall correctly this is the new part of the spec

and okay that's literally all i know too!! the other thing i forgot to mention was biosensors... how much should i know about that because i've honestly forgotten about it lol

Ngl I have no idea about plant defense Im pretty sure that isn't on the new spec as I only went over the spec a couple of days ago and I definitely don't remember seeing that on it! Not entirely sure regarding biosensors I have learnt: They can be used to test chemicals in a solution. It uses a biological molecule to detect a chemical. The biological molecule produces a signal which is converted to an electrical signal by a transducer. The electrical signal is then processed to work out other info (e.g. initial concentration)
Reply 223
Original post by 0799NCB
Ngl I have no idea about plant defense Im pretty sure that isn't on the new spec as I only went over the spec a couple of days ago and I definitely don't remember seeing that on it! Not entirely sure regarding biosensors I have learnt: They can be used to test chemicals in a solution. It uses a biological molecule to detect a chemical. The biological molecule produces a signal which is converted to an electrical signal by a transducer. The electrical signal is then processed to work out other info (e.g. initial concentration)

oh okay it was just a page on my textbook and my teacher insisted for us to learn them but i was unsure. thank you!
Does anyone have any good revision resources?

Or any links to websites where I can get test questions from (not the specimen paper though, already done that)???
I'm screwed for this exam because I have English lit and Latin aswell, so I may just skip classification lool
Original post by bastille1789

Or any links to websites where I can get test questions from (not the specimen paper though, already done that)???

They just released some new mcq's last week on the exam board site. Not sure if it's available for students though so you might need to ask your teacher for it.

Look at the teaching resources, they also have some task materials.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by OddFuturez
I'm screwed for this exam because I have English lit and Latin aswell, so I may just skip classification lool

Same! I can't believe English Lit and Biology are on the same day, they're my worst exams, fml
Original post by bastille1789

http://pastpapers.org/foundation-biology-papers
Check out the old spec papers.
Also edexcel and AQA board have similar examination style questions. Edexcel contains some multiple choice questions as well
Original post by Rachyray
Same! I can't believe English Lit and Biology are on the same day, they're my worst exams, fml

You doing OCR lit?
Original post by 0799NCB
So is it unlikely they will ask like explain step by step how to do a serial dilution and instead maybe just say like name the procedure/method the student has done or like suggest an experiment the student could do?

Yeah. I'd definitely know what a serial dilution is, but it's more than you can say you could use it as part of an experiment plan than be tested directly on it. It could maybe be in the multiple choice section as a "which is a valid technnique" I'd guess though.
Reply 231
Original post by Sky14107836285
Hi Guys,
i was wondering what your predictions are for the longer mark questions. For example, i feel like the examiners are going to put in a question asking us to describe the the cardiac cycle, or to explain the process of Translocation and transpiration.
What do you think?

I would love it if there is a question on immunity, as there is a lot of things that you can mention. Also, evidence for evolution might come up but that could be too simple. As long as they are not practical related I am fine really.
However, possible 6 markers in my opinion is;
Cardiac cycle, the transport of oxygen and carbon dioxide, translocation, transpiration, immunity.
Reply 232
Original post by haes
how much do we need to know about plant defenses? my textbook has many different plant defenses and names for the chemicals produced, should i learn those?
also how much should we know about laser confocal microscopes?

The specification highlighted tylose formation, callose deposition, stomatal closing and production of chemicals such as alkaloids as their reference. Mentioning these keywords with a brief explanation will get you the marks in my opinion.
Original post by OddFuturez
You doing OCR lit?

Nope! I'm AQA
Hopefully no ******** plotting graph maths question. Ffs that was in the breadth paper and was like 13 marks
who does edexcel english literature and language?
The CGP biology revision guide for the new specification is absolutely incredible. It is exactly according to the specification- I can safely say CGP has never released a more spot on revision guide. Seriously the best revision guide. Just go to a shop and check it out- you will not be disappointed!
Original post by bluesandgreens
The CGP biology revision guide for the new specification is absolutely incredible. It is exactly according to the specification- I can safely say CGP has never released a more spot on revision guide. Seriously the best revision guide. Just go to a shop and check it out- you will not be disappointed!

I agree with this so much!!! Literally so nice and condensed and not loads of info you don't need to know like the textbooks!!!
as far as I know no-one has posted this as of yet.

Pretty good.

http://www.thebiotutor.com/
Original post by bluesandgreens

I have the CGP textbook not the purple text book most classes use and my textbook is so much simpler! My teacher was angry that I got a different one so Im working for an A/B to lol at her

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending