The Student Room Group

History or English at A-Level?

Hi, I'm considering retaking Year 12 next year as I'm really not happy with my current subjects. I have decided that I am definitely going to do Maths and Geography if I do retake the year however I'm struggling to decide what I want to take for my final subject.

As I want to do something along the lines of International Relations at a respected uni, my final option will definitely have to be an essay-based subject, so something like English or History.

The dilemma I have is that although I got much better grades in English (A for lang, B in Lit) I enjoy History so much more and I think it will be more useful for Politics/International Relation but History was my worst one of my worst grades at GCSE, as I only got a C because of a lack of revision. If I retake, I am going to work as hard as possible so I don't know whether or not my GCSE grades are a clear indication of how I will do as I did no revision, so should I go with English or History?
Original post by sam_1999
Hi, I'm considering retaking Year 12 next year as I'm really not happy with my current subjects. I have decided that I am definitely going to do Maths and Geography if I do retake the year however I'm struggling to decide what I want to take for my final subject.

As I want to do something along the lines of International Relations at a respected uni, my final option will definitely have to be an essay-based subject, so something like English or History.

The dilemma I have is that although I got much better grades in English (A for lang, B in Lit) I enjoy History so much more and I think it will be more useful for Politics/International Relation but History was my worst one of my worst grades at GCSE, as I only got a C because of a lack of revision. If I retake, I am going to work as hard as possible so I don't know whether or not my GCSE grades are a clear indication of how I will do as I did no revision, so should I go with English or History?

Which English? Lit, Lang, or combined? In any case, I'd be inclined to do History -- if you enjoy it I'm sure you'll be able to do well, and as you say it is much more relevant to International Relations than any English.
Reply 2
Original post by sweeneyrod
Which English? Lit, Lang, or combined? In any case, I'd be inclined to do History -- if you enjoy it I'm sure you'll be able to do well, and as you say it is much more relevant to International Relations than any English.

Thanks for the reply. Well I plan to go to a Russel Group university, and I feel as though Lit is much more respected so I would rather do Literature than combined which is the other option at my school. But yeah, I think I am going to go with History as I feel as though if I work hard enough I will be able to get a better grade than if I took English.
Original post by sam_1999
Thanks for the reply. Well I plan to go to a Russel Group university, and I feel as though Lit is much more respected so I would rather do Literature than combined which is the other option at my school. But yeah, I think I am going to go with History as I feel as though if I work hard enough I will be able to get a better grade than if I took English.

They are both facilitating subjects, so both subjects are equally respected in the Humanities Dept. at universities.

I think you're right to go for a subject you much more enjoy!

Quick Reply

Latest