The Student Room Group

Gap year help?!

I'm currently in my first year of college (uk) I know that I haven't been pulling my weight and don't feel dedicated or seem to care at all. I know that I'm not going to get the grades I need or want when I sit my as levels and I'm wondering if it's possible to take a gap year after AS and if this would be a good choice??

How do I then go About doing my A levels? Do I have to reapply to college?? How will taking a gap year effect terrible AS grades and how will unis look at it??
Hey there!

In regards to your questions:

"How do I then go About doing my A levels? Do I have to reapply to college?"

It will be a tough process. Yes you have to apply to college once again stating your reason for taking a gap year. You might be able to discuss this with your current college about this. Ask whether you could take a gap year and come back to the same college after a year, they may accept that. If they do not accept this and don't accept you after a gap year it means that you may need to do your A Levels at a different college and they may have different exam boards, so you might have to start from AS again.

"How will taking a gap year effect terrible AS grades and how will unis look at it?"

Don't exactly understand your question here. Most likely universities will not be happy with students taking a gap year after AS, as gap years are ideally for after the completion of your A Levels.

I would highly recommend you take a gap year after your A Levels. I think having a gap after your AS Levels you will go back to college and most likely have forgotten most of the content which is very useful when studying A Levels.

Spoiler

Hope this helps. :h:

Quick Reply

Latest