The Student Room Group

biomedical sciences accredited

Hi all!

I have noticed that not all Biomedical Sciences Degrees are accredited by Institute of Biomedical Sciences. Does this mean that a degree from a non-accredited uni will not be recognized for career or for further education? Please explain advantages and disadvantages. Which one is the best uni for this degree?

Thank you!
Pick the course that interests you most. Accreditation is needed for a career as a biomed scientist in the NHS.
Reply 2
Interesting that Biomedical sciences degree in the top unis (asking for A*AA-AAA) are not accredited, but there are accredited courses at unis asking CCC. How comes?
Entry requirements aren't exactly the best way of working out what are 'top' unis and what aren't. Also, that's not strictly true. I work for a Russell group uni with an accredited biomed course and our requirements are much higher than CCC.
To be accredited then the course has to teach a certain amount of things. It's up to the university in question as to whether they want to do this or not. Most accredited courses are similar in the first two years to get the required content down, then in the third year you get to branch out more.

Really it depends on what you're looking for in a university.
Location? Facilities? Teaching time? Night life? Societies? Sports?
Sometimes the vibe of the place is just right for you.

There's a lot of good universities the offer biomedical science.
If you have good grades you can apply to any of them.
I would say this, If you do an unaccredited course, I don't know how easy it is to join the IBMS.

There's reviews on whatuni which might be helpful.http://www.whatuni.com/degree-courses/search?subject=biomedical-sciences&sort=crh
Reply 5
So what are the chances to get a job with an unaccredited degree from a famous uni than an accredited one? Here or in Europe. Assuming I am an EU student.
Either which way a job isn't going to land in your lap. You need to do everything you can during uni to make yourself as employable as possible and do the groundwork in terms of working out what you need to get a job in your chosen field and how to get there.
My biomed degree isn't accredited but I'm going into medicine now,so it does really matter to me
In that case I think what's already been said is helpful. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending