The Student Room Group

When doing CS/Programming, What OS did you use?

So I am looking for suggestions to what OS maybe good for a CS Student.
I cant use Mac OSX as I don't own a mac and my laptop cannot be a hackintosh due to a bios whitelist issue on wifi cards.
What did you use and what did you think was good about it and assisted you the most.
Linux is absolutely the best OS for development. Great support for pretty much every programming language you might like. Very easy to install new languages, libraries, modules, etc through both the command line (eg. if I want to install a Python package, I just do pip install $package) and visual package manager. Knowing Unix is essential for working in CompSci IMO. What sort of programming languages are you looking at using?
Reply 2
Original post by thatllbeme
Linux is absolutely the best OS for development. Great support for pretty much every programming language you might like. Very easy to install new languages, libraries, modules, etc through both the command line (eg. if I want to install a Python package, I just do pip install $package) and visual package manager. Knowing Unix is essential for working in CompSci IMO. What sort of programming languages are you looking at using?

We will be using mostly Python and Java.
What distro specifically did you use?
At my uni we use Windows and Linux. I do have a mac (along with dual booted desktop) but for some assignments we have needed to use software specific to either windows (visual studio) or Linux (robot programming software).
Original post by XDroidie626
We will be using mostly Python and Java.
What distro specifically did you use?

I use Fedora 23 - easy to install, no crashes, great package management. I'll be switching over to GuixSD as soon as it exits beta, though, since it's entirely libre. Python programming on Fedora is great - I use pip + virtualenv for packages, and Emacs with python-mode for programming. I don't use Java but I believe there's also good support for it.
For something quick and dirty, use windows or linux.
For projects use linux.
Original post by thatllbeme
Knowing Unix is essential for working in CompSci IMO.

FWIW this isn't true, though it's an easy mistake to make when you're in the Linux ecosystem. As one example, StackOverflow runs on Windows.
In terms of OS that 'might be good' I will say OS X, because OS X is UNIX based so it has terminal, and not just that it's a fully functioning OS for normal day to day stuff, however if you can't afford it then you don't need to get one, a Linux OS will be fine. However sometimes Windows becomes superior for ancient software/libraries so it's always good to have a Windows OS around, either on PC or dual boot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending