The jump from GCSE to A-Level Watch

gonz02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So i was wondering, could someone please explain to me the differences between GCSE and A-Level Mathematics.
swagmister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gonz02)
So i was wondering, could someone please explain to me the differences between GCSE and A-Level Mathematics.
Core 1 contains a lot of GCSE topics, I don't think Core 2 contains any apart from a little bit in sequences but the notation is different and Statistics 1 there's one chapter that has GCSE stuff which is just histograms and box plots ect. So most of C2 and S1 will be completely new. I didn't find it much of a jump by then again I did the Further Maths GCSE.
gonz02
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by swagmister)
Core 1 contains a lot of GCSE topics, I don't think Core 2 contains any apart from a little bit in sequences but the notation is different and Statistics 1 there's one chapter that has GCSE stuff which is just histograms and box plots ect. So most of C2 and S1 will be completely new. I didn't find it much of a jump by then again I did the Further Maths GCSE.
Thank you very much, how much harder is a level mathematics to gcse mathematics
The Awakening
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you are an A* student at gcse maths, then unless you literally do nothing the entire year, you will most likely get a good grade in AS maths. AS maths is fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it, just practice a bit on it every week and do a bunch of past papers towards exam period. A2 maths is where it gets rather tricky though.

If you're an A or high B grade student at GCSE maths, then you will need to put in quite a bit more work, but it should all come together nicely by the time your first AS maths exams starts.

Best of luck in your GCSEs pal!
swagmister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by gonz02)
Thank you very much, how much harder is a level mathematics to gcse mathematics
Personally I don't think it's that much harder, if your good at Maths and really enjoy it you should be fine
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (4)
44.44%
No - I got the required grades (4)
44.44%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (1)
11.11%

Watched Threads