The Student Room Group

The jump from GCSE to A-Level

So i was wondering, could someone please explain to me the differences between GCSE and A-Level Mathematics.
Original post by gonz02
So i was wondering, could someone please explain to me the differences between GCSE and A-Level Mathematics.

Core 1 contains a lot of GCSE topics, I don't think Core 2 contains any apart from a little bit in sequences but the notation is different and Statistics 1 there's one chapter that has GCSE stuff which is just histograms and box plots ect. So most of C2 and S1 will be completely new. I didn't find it much of a jump by then again I did the Further Maths GCSE.
Reply 2
Original post by swagmister
Core 1 contains a lot of GCSE topics, I don't think Core 2 contains any apart from a little bit in sequences but the notation is different and Statistics 1 there's one chapter that has GCSE stuff which is just histograms and box plots ect. So most of C2 and S1 will be completely new. I didn't find it much of a jump by then again I did the Further Maths GCSE.

Thank you very much, how much harder is a level mathematics to gcse mathematics
If you are an A* student at gcse maths, then unless you literally do nothing the entire year, you will most likely get a good grade in AS maths. AS maths is fairly straightforward once you get the hang of it, just practice a bit on it every week and do a bunch of past papers towards exam period. A2 maths is where it gets rather tricky though.

If you're an A or high B grade student at GCSE maths, then you will need to put in quite a bit more work, but it should all come together nicely by the time your first AS maths exams starts.

Best of luck in your GCSEs pal!
Original post by gonz02
Thank you very much, how much harder is a level mathematics to gcse mathematics

Personally I don't think it's that much harder, if your good at Maths and really enjoy it you should be fine :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest