The Student Room Group

OCR AS Philosophy & Ethics: Official Thread for May/June 2016

Scroll to see replies

does anyone think the science and religion topic will come up ?
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
How do you answer part a and b questions ??
Reply 82
Anyone got a link to that website that predicted the questions for AS/A2 last year and got it considerably correct?
Original post by existential
My teacher says always aim for about 5 paragraphs for part a), the first one being the introduction. For part b) I use this format when answering (it automatically gets you 6 marks even if it's not done well):
-for
-against
-for
-therefore ...

-against
-for
-against
-therefore ...

-it must not be forgotten that ... (then use something to say either for or against)
-in conclusion ...

Okay, that seems like a good structure. Thanks you. I do my part A like you do. But for part B, I usually do an introduction, for, against and then conclusion. But I think doing an introduction just waste time unless it is completely relevant.
Original post by Theresexx
I think a religion and Science topic might come up from what I've heard!

Yes that's what I heard too Therese
Original post by RueXO
you can still join! :smile: we share stuff regularly so you can use our notes, and you can email us stuff if you want idk it's up to you, there's like 6 of us now

Wouls love to join your group!
07477 790877 is my number
Hey here is one of my homework essays on the Moral argument which got 25, hope this helps!! :smile:
If you have any more questions just ask!!

Great resource, you must be a great philosopher
Original post by Ellieocallaghan
Great resource, you must be a great philosopher

the sarcasm, the sarcasm shhhh, Ellie :wink:....
For AS Ethics, I predict that the following will come up:

Natural Moral Law

Absolutism and Relativism

Medical Ethics (abortion/embryo research/genetic engineering)

War and Peace

Hey, my teacher gave our class a structure which he invented for the questions and it really works!!

A)
1. start with a short introduction giving background information on the topic or key people / words, what they mean, why they are important
2. write everything you know about that topic which is relevant to the question being asked, make sure you don't just describe but explain why the thing you are writing about is the way it is, always keep focused to the question.
3. Do NOT write a conclusion for A, it unnecessary and a waste of time, there is no need to give your opinion save that for B

A should be about 2 sides of A4 depending on the size of you handwriting, I know its hard to always think of things to write for A but if you know the topic really well it should be okay. In the exam always chose the questions which you have the most to write about.

B) (credit to my teacher) PACE

1. Short introduction: what is the crux of the argument? and short background information if you have time!!

P - Point of the argument you are making
A- Analysis of that point, what does it mean, why is it like that?
C- Criticise the point (give a strength and weakness)
E- Evaluate - link back to the question or statement, what does this show about the argument the question is trying to engage you in.

Hope this helps!!

Omggg thank you so much. God Guide you and protect you AMEN.
Hey guys how would you answer this question...
Explain how a follower of natural law might respond to human embryo research? 25marks.

I personally would start of like this...

intro:

-Natural law is absolutist, priori , etc and why its like that.
-How Aristotle made the theory first and Aquinas adapted it. (I would talk a bit about Aristotles version of natural law eg; reaching -eudaimonia by focusing on virtues)
-Define embryo research

Para 1
-Aquinas's synderesis and 4 laws etc
-primary precepts
-Secondary precepts
- How embryo research can be applied.

Para 2
- Doctrine of double effect and how it can be applied to embryo research.
-Apparent and real good- as applied to embryo research.

IF ANYONE HAS ANYMORE TO ADD PLEASE DO SO !! ANDD AM QUITE CONFUSED BY THE MEANING OF EMBROY RESEARCH IS IT IN THE SENSE OF GENETIC ENGINEERING OR IS IT RIGHT TO A CHILD?
Original post by nujam438
Explain how a follower of natural law might respond to human embryo research? 25marks.

intro:

-How Aristotle made the theory first and Aquinas adapted it. (I would talk a bit about Aristotles version of natural law eg; reaching -eudaimonia by focusing on virtues)
-Define embryo research

Para 1
-primary precepts
-Secondary precepts

Para 2

IF ANYONE HAS ANYMORE TO ADD PLEASE DO SO !! ANDD AM QUITE CONFUSED BY THE MEANING OF EMBROY RESEARCH IS IT IN THE SENSE OF GENETIC ENGINEERING OR IS IT RIGHT TO A CHILD?

I disagree with this a lot. You are including a lot of very irrelevant material.

Jump straight in - note that Natural Moral Law is a teleological approach to ethics. Explain the theory. Use an example relevant to the question and applied ethics topic, when explaining the secondary precepts. Then explain how it would respond to at least 2, preferably 3, issues surrounding embryo research. You could bring actual and apprent goods into it too.

I sound harsh but my teacher is part of the OCR examining team for this unit and also has been commissioned by them to write new textbooks. This is how she marked my first ever essays that were like yours.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by nujam438

intro:

-Define embryo research

Para 1
-primary precepts
-Secondary precepts

Para 2

Your welcome!
This sounds good so far and I think you have included tonnes of information, just remember Aquinas is a posteriori not a priori (but I don't think this matters too much for his ethics, philosophy only) - he believes we have an innate divine spark (moral law) written inside us, we use our reasoning to deduce this and we're aided by divine law (the Bible) our moral law should be a reflection of the divine law.
Also I think the embryo research is in relation to genetic engineering, the right to a child stuff would be like IVF I think!!
You could also add in stuff about the RCC because they follow NML and have come up with their own primary precepts and they condemn embryo research - links to the Bible passage from Genesis 'and the two became one flesh'

Hope this helps!!
Good feedback guys.

Could someone give a detailed example of embryo research (any notes preferably ).

We need to remember that these theories are old therefore we are just assuming that they would say these stuff about embryo research.

If embryo research is about the use of IVF and genetic engineering In order to bring treatment then natural law would support it as it is preserving life. For example gene therapy could be use to treat people with genetic disorders such as cystic fibrosis.
We could also maybe talk about how we might think that embryo research is good, however we don't really know allot about it thus could be pursuing an apparent good and not a real good??
The doctrine of double effect could also be used to justify the spare embryos as the intention may have been to save life.
Also could we argue that Aquinas was a Christian thus sacred of life etc and that however we don't need to be a believer of God inorder to follow natural law? or is that evaluation?

IVYBRIDGE; how would you apply the secondary precepts to embryo research.
If anyone wants to be on my whattsapp group DM me your numbers. It will be great help as my laptop is quite slow and we can share resources etc
Original post by Aishani
Does anyone know what questions came up last year so it is easier to narrow down the revision and prioritise

I would try to get everything if possible but my teacher said it's highly unlikely that Aristotle and Teleological are going to come up as they were done really well last year.
One of the predicted questions are "Assess Guanilo's challenge to Anselm". Does anyone have any idea what to write for this? Do you just talk about Gaunilo's criticisms to Anselm's logic because I don't have any idea as to what I have to talk about in this question. :frown:
I would try to get everything if possible but my teacher said it's highly unlikely that Aristotle and Teleological are going to come up as they were done really well last year.

That's such a shame as Aristotle's such a straight forward topic. :/
Original post by TarotOfMagic
That's such a shame as Aristotle's such a straight forward topic. :/

I agree! But Plato could come up, what topics are you hoping for?
I agree! But Plato could come up, what topics are you hoping for?

I'm praying that Plato's theory of the forms will come up, along with the ontological arugment! Maybe the examiners will be nice and give us easy questions, seeing as it's the spec's last year lol. What about you? Which topics are you hoping will come up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending