The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

S294 Cell Biology

Hey Guys,

I've just joined and am completely at my wits end!!

I'm so far behind my S294 module it's really worrying me...I am on restricted status as I pulled out of some courses due to illness a few years ago, this is my first one back so unable to defer.

Has anyone studied this course? Can anyone give me any tips on how to catch up? I feel the module is quite difficult compared to Human Biology SK277... I feel this is why I keep failing to catch up :frown:

I've managed to submit my first 2 TMAs but the exam is really worrying me!

Hopefully someone can advise :smile:

SJ
Original post by Sierra Juliet
Hey Guys,

I've just joined and am completely at my wits end!!

I'm so far behind my S294 module it's really worrying me...I am on restricted status as I pulled out of some courses due to illness a few years ago, this is my first one back so unable to defer.

Has anyone studied this course? Can anyone give me any tips on how to catch up? I feel the module is quite difficult compared to Human Biology SK277... I feel this is why I keep failing to catch up :frown:

I've managed to submit my first 2 TMAs but the exam is really worrying me!

Hopefully someone can advise :smile:

SJ

I'm the same on S377 Cell and Molecular biology and it's my second time attempting it! Deferred it the first time so I could have a break from studying but now lack the willpower and get sidetracked by other things! Sat down last night wrote a page of notes in word then ended up updating the laptop to windows 10 lol!

Note taking takes ages but if I just read I don't remember then panic with lack of notes come revision ugh!
(edited 8 years ago)
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Hey laalNick ☺️

Are you me? You sound an awful lot like me 😂
Hey laalNick ☺️

Are you me? You sound an awful lot like me 😂

If we are then I think split personality might me the final straw!!! :biggrin:

How far behind are you? I'm about 150 pages behind but also trying to go back to start 100 pages and retype notes back up as my notes are hideous. And I spilled on the folder :frown:

How about we make a pact each do x amount over certain time.
Jeez I wish I was only 150 pages behind 🙈 I'm still on second last chapter of book 1 & the rest are starting book 3 (final book) so I'm about 300 pages behind 👎🏼

You know a pact sounds good...you've already motivated me to do some tonight...I was just about to get my Inferno book & have a read (and I wonder why I'm behind)

Going to crack open the book & get started.

Are you doing any tonight? :tongue:

What should we agree to do? Do you work? How many hours? I work 4 days a week 10.5 hour shifts!
Jeez I wish I was only 150 pages behind 🙈 I'm still on second last chapter of book 1 & the rest are starting book 3 (final book) so I'm about 300 pages behind 👎🏼

You know a pact sounds good...you've already motivated me to do some tonight...I was just about to get my Inferno book & have a read (and I wonder why I'm behind)

Going to crack open the book & get started.

Are you doing any tonight? :tongue:

What should we agree to do? Do you work? How many hours? I work 4 days a week 10.5 hour shifts!

Well I went to the cinema to go see 10 Cloverfield Lane....I'll never be able to watch The Flintstones again!! (My friend works shifts so we have to go on evenings he can as quite often working the weekends.)

I'm at work now, I work 5 days at 8 hrs then lunchbreaks and evening taken up with walking one energetic dog!

How far do you think you are behind? 150 doesn't sound like too much but starting to get more in depth and making decent notes takes an age! I'm hoping to type up a good few pages of the coffee stained notes tonight and refresh my memory so I can eventually get up to where I left it. Because I looked at the pages after the bookmark and was a bit 'eh?!?!' !
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey, I did s294 last year along with s295, I got a little behind towards the end. But I did alright in the exam, make sure to watch all the tutorials on blackboard as part of your revision, it does get quite complicated by book 3, I actually didn't read most of book 3 and there was only 1 question I couldn't answer on the exam worth 5 marks so not bad at all. There was a rumour that book 3 wasn't examined in the exam. Have you spoken to your tutor?

Try and make a timetable with aims on it so instead of saying I'll study for 2 hours one night and 3 hours another, have a look at the topics and try and say, I'll complete chapter 3 part 1 tonight and part 2 tomorrow.

If you need any help feel free to contact me [personal details removed]

Good luck
Original post by dannyjebb
Hey, I did s294 last year along with s295, I got a little behind towards the end. But I did alright in the exam, make sure to watch all the tutorials on blackboard as part of your revision, it does get quite complicated by book 3, I actually didn't read most of book 3 and there was only 1 question I couldn't answer on the exam worth 5 marks so not bad at all. There was a rumour that book 3 wasn't examined in the exam. Have you spoken to your tutor?

Try and make a timetable with aims on it so instead of saying I'll study for 2 hours one night and 3 hours another, have a look at the topics and try and say, I'll complete chapter 3 part 1 tonight and part 2 tomorrow.

Good luck

What you studying now? :smile:
Well I've got chapter 1 & 2 notes typed up. Roughly half of Chapter 3 to type up then I reach where I left off. But Chapter 3 was a slog.
How's yours going?
Doing s317 now, if you are thinking of doing this afterwards I would recommend reading book 3 at some point as it goes into a lot more detail about cell biology :smile:

Danny
Doing s317 now, if you are thinking of doing this afterwards I would recommend reading book 3 at some point as it goes into a lot more detail about cell biology :smile:

Danny

I'm on the Chemistry pathway so have to do S315. I used credit transfer for an older biochem nat sci diploma and got more transferred credits for Chemistry.

How you finding the electronic learning for S317 instead of the printed material out of interest?
Original post by laalNick
Well I went to the cinema to go see 10 Cloverfield Lane....I'll never be able to watch The Flintstones again!! (My friend works shifts so we have to go on evenings he can as quite often working the weekends.)

I'm at work now, I work 5 days at 8 hrs then lunchbreaks and evening taken up with walking one energetic dog!

How far do you think you are behind? 150 doesn't sound like too much but starting to get more in depth and making decent notes takes an age! I'm hoping to type up a good few pages of the coffee stained notes tonight and refresh my memory so I can eventually get up to where I left it. Because I looked at the pages after the bookmark and was a bit 'eh?!?!' !

Yes I've 2 dogs and they are also very energetic!!

I'm behind about 330 pages so a book and a half...I'm my own worst enemy, I always have great intentions to study & 5 minutes in I am planning what I'm eating the following day and googling reasons we procrastinate lol

My exam is at the beginning of June & I am not optimistic at all!!!

Have you done any more since your last post?
Yes I've 2 dogs and they are also very energetic!!

I'm behind about 330 pages so a book and a half...I'm my own worst enemy, I always have great intentions to study & 5 minutes in I am planning what I'm eating the following day and googling reasons we procrastinate lol

My exam is at the beginning of June & I am not optimistic at all!!!

Have you done any more since your last post?

Not as of yet. Was planning on doing some last night but feeling so rotten at moment. Going to do a bit of typing up in between work at work (sssssssh don't tell :colondollar:) once I get up to the point where I left off I'll be happier. Then can continue notes.

What about you?

Good luck

Hi Danny,

You're a star! Such great advice :smile:

I've made the decision to contact my tutor today regarding book 3 and how far I am behind.

I'm so far behind it isn't even funny at this stage, I'm in serious trouble!

I've made countless timetables and never stick to them but they are always based on hours and never on chapter parts, I'll do that today and make sure I stick to it, should definitely help!

Do you think it would be stupid to move on to where the rest of the group are and catch up on the side?
Original post by laalNick
Not as of yet. Was planning on doing some last night but feeling so rotten at moment. Going to do a bit of typing up in between work at work (sssssssh don't tell :colondollar:) once I get up to the point where I left off I'll be happier. Then can continue notes.

What about you?

Dear god no lol haven't bloody touched it :frown:

I'm off work today so will definitely be doing a good bit of sorting my life out! I took my book to the hairdressers last week to read but I ended up reading a magazine...because Hello Magazine is so much more beneficial to my exam in June than the actual course books :s-smilie:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm just wondering if all age groups fall behind or is it just my age group...I'm 29...the big 3 0 in Nov :biggrin:
Dear god no lol haven't bloody touched it :frown:

I'm off work today so will definitely be doing a good bit of sorting my life out! I took my book to the hairdressers last week to read but I ended up reading a magazine...because Hello Magazine is so much more beneficial to my exam in June than the actual course books :s-smilie:

If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm just wondering if all age groups fall behind or is it just my age group...I'm 29...the big 3 0 in Nov :biggrin:

29 too! Big 3-0 in August!!!
Ha! maybe it is our age then :danceboy:
I would maybe print the last tma and read through it and read the parts you need to to answer it but then you need to start thinking about revising. Might be worth going through all e learning outcomes as they are what is tested in the exam. And make sure you watch all the tutorials :smile:

Good luck
I would maybe print the last tma and read through it and read the parts you need to to answer it but then you need to start thinking about revising. Might be worth going through all e learning outcomes as they are what is tested in the exam. And make sure you watch all the tutorials :smile:

Good luck

Oh this is like my 14th module with the OU, I never learn, I always aim to do these things but everything goes pear shaped! Although this module I do find interesting but it's so hard to keep on top of and keep motivation.

Quick Reply

Latest