The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Current Sussex student ready to answer your questions!

Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Scroll to see replies

what course are you doing? What was your offer and what did you get? Do you know students who missed their offer but still got a place and by how much? what accommodation are you in and how is it?

And how are you finding the uni and experience generally?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Hi! I'm doing Psychology. I applied with my A level grades of AAB and was offered a place. I know people on my course that got less then that and I'm pretty sure Sussex are quite lenient with the grade requirements especially if you put them as your firm choice.
I'm in Norwich House which is one of the Park houses. It's quite loud and you share two loos and two showers between twelve but that hasn't been an issue! All the Park Houses are centrally located on campus which means you can walk pretty much anywhere in around five minutes!
It's a really friendly vibe here, the bars are always hosting events and there are a wide variety of societies to get involved with.
I am a Londoner and had been exposed to the party lifestyle that many Uni students look for for a couple of years so I'm not really down for partying all that often but there is something on most nights on campus dedicated student nights in Brighton if you do want to party!
Any other questions?
Reply 3
Hi KayaRose,

What a splendid initiative!

I was just offered a place at the MA European Governance and Policy and I have a few questions.

1. Perhaps difficult for you, but do you have any general ideas or opinions regarding Sussex European institute or the specific program?

2. As someone from Sweden, it is very difficult to know what reputation University of Sussex has. I have seen it is ranked top 20, but overall is it considered an above-average university?

3. As someone who doesn't know England that well, what are some nearby cities and landscape?

4. Why did you choose University of Sussex of all universities?

Thanks in advance!
(edited 7 years ago)
Sussex is my firm choice. Just wondering what the best on-campus accommodations are? :smile:
Reply 5
What are the things you don't like about Sussex university?
Reply 6
Hi Niklas91!
Unfortunately I have no knowledge of the Sussex European institute or the program you are interested in studying I'm afraid.

Sussex is a good university for a wide variety of subjects. One of the reasons I picked Sussex is because of its good reputation for Psychology. I don't think it is necessarily ranked as an above average university ( the above average universities in my mind are Cambridge, Oxford, Kings and St Andrews) But most departments are well regarded in their research communities.

In terms of the landscape Sussex university is located just a short bus journey away from the vibrant city of Brighton which has an amazing array of restaurants, clubs and of course the lovely ocean! Depending on where you live in Sweden you may find the city of Brighton to be quite small. Compared to my hometown of London I find Brighton to be a little bit small. This being said if you fancy a weekend away London is only an hour away by train! The actual campus where you will be studying feels like a little village in the countryside we are surrounded by trees and rabbits!

I chose Sussex for a variety of reasons. Firstly I had friends here already that really enjoyed their course and the social elements of coming to this Uni. I knew I would have friends around if I ever felt lonely. Secondly out of all of the Universities I applied to Sussex held the highest place on the league tables for Psychology. I also liked the idea of studying on a campus as opposed to a busy city.
I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions!

Original post by Niklas91
Hi KayaRose,

What a splendid initiative!

I was just offered a place at the MA European Governance and Policy and I have a few questions.

1. Perhaps difficult for you, but do you have any general ideas or opinions regarding Sussex European institute or the specific program?

2. As someone from Sweden, it is very difficult to know what reputation University of Sussex has. I have seen it is ranked top 20, but overall is it considered an above-average university?

3. As someone who doesn't know England that well, what are some nearby cities and landscape?

4. Why did you choose University of Sussex of all universities?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 7
Original post by CharlieJH
Sussex is my firm choice. Just wondering what the best on-campus accommodations are? :smile:

Hi CharlieJH,
I think it really depends on what you are looking for and what budget you have. I lived in one of the Park Houses which is quite social and quite cheap. I personally quite like Lewes court as you have a little sitting area at the end of your kitchen that you don't get in the park houses.
What have you narrowed it down to? If you give me a few examples of where you might want to live I can try to give you some pros and cons!
Reply 8
Original post by Bobbs
What are the things you don't like about Sussex university?

Hi Bobbs,
I don't like the fact that in Psychology some lecturers seem incapable of using microphones or working YouTube. I find this frustrating because we are all paying a lot of money to be here. However this may be a problem specific to Psychology.

The University have a policy of returning work to you within 14 working days which sounds great at first but if you submit something before the holidays it can be absolutely ages before you get it back.

I don't like the way the terms are set out for first year. You have a nearly two month Christmas holiday ( with a few exams in January) but then an extremely short Easter and have no designated study period to revise for the summer exams.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!
Reply 9
Original post by KayaRose
Hi Bobbs,
I don't like the fact that in Psychology some lecturers seem incapable of using microphones or working YouTube. I find this frustrating because we are all paying a lot of money to be here. However this may be a problem specific to Psychology.

The University have a policy of returning work to you within 14 working days which sounds great at first but if you submit something before the holidays it can be absolutely ages before you get it back.

I don't like the way the terms are set out for first year. You have a nearly two month Christmas holiday ( with a few exams in January) but then an extremely short Easter and have no designated study period to revise for the summer exams.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions!

thanks :smile: do you know if every subject has exactly the same terms, and whether the term dates set out on the website are exact like lecturers can't schedule lectures or work during these holidays?
Reply 10
Original post by Bobbs
thanks :smile: do you know if every subject has exactly the same terms, and whether the term dates set out on the website are exact like lecturers can't schedule lectures or work during these holidays?

I think all subjects have the same first year term dates however some subjects have reading weeks too! Lecturers haven't scheduled any lectures in the holidays since I have been here but you are expected to do coursework or online quizzes during this time.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi there everyone!
I'm just finishing off my first year at Sussex. I would love to help you guys out by answering any questions you might have about the Uni!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hey :h: I've applied for Psychology at 4 unis to start in September, and Sussex is one of them. Do you like the course? It seems to be a decent university when it comes to rankings. I haven't had a chance to visit, so what would you say the general atmosphere is like? I mean don't get me wrong the course is really important but the social side to uni, the nightlife and clubs are something I'm thinking about too haha. Thanks for helping :bl:
Reply 12
Original post by fudgeltwattle
Hey :h: I've applied for Psychology at 4 unis to start in September, and Sussex is one of them. Do you like the course? It seems to be a decent university when it comes to rankings. I haven't had a chance to visit, so what would you say the general atmosphere is like? I mean don't get me wrong the course is really important but the social side to uni, the nightlife and clubs are something I'm thinking about too haha. Thanks for helping :bl:

Hi fudgeltwattle!
Which other uni's have you applied to and where do you go to school currently?
I do like the course. It is quite intense with the amount of work you are expected to do but actual time in lectures and seminars is only ten hours per week on average so you will have plenty of free time!

The lecturers all have office hours which you can go to and get help if you are stuck with anything and we also have an online forum ( a bit like student room actually) where students can ask questions and the lecturers will reply.

If you can I would say definitely visit as I don't think the campus life is for everyone.

The atmosphere is generally good. You will need to join societies to make good friends though because generally people don't hang out after lectures or seminars in Psyc because there are so many of us! (260 first years)

In terms of going out every night is a student night in Brighton! Lots of the clubs aren't very good but there are some really fun ones! On campus we have two bars which people generally go to on a Tuesday night for an event called Skint ( all the drinks are super cheap!)

I have found it a bit hard to find a group that I really identify with here but I think that will improve as time goes on!

Let me know if you have other questions!!
3rd year life scientist checking in here, quote me and add any questions you've got. I do biomedicine which is life science, so can speak for biology, genetics, biochemistry, ecology etc etc etc
Hi fudgeltwattle!
Which other uni's have you applied to and where do you go to school currently?
I do like the course. It is quite intense with the amount of work you are expected to do but actual time in lectures and seminars is only ten hours per week on average so you will have plenty of free time!

The lecturers all have office hours which you can go to and get help if you are stuck with anything and we also have an online forum ( a bit like student room actually) where students can ask questions and the lecturers will reply.

If you can I would say definitely visit as I don't think the campus life is for everyone.

The atmosphere is generally good. You will need to join societies to make good friends though because generally people don't hang out after lectures or seminars in Psyc because there are so many of us! (260 first years)

In terms of going out every night is a student night in Brighton! Lots of the clubs aren't very good but there are some really fun ones! On campus we have two bars which people generally go to on a Tuesday night for an event called Skint ( all the drinks are super cheap!)

I have found it a bit hard to find a group that I really identify with here but I think that will improve as time goes on!

Let me know if you have other questions!!

Thank you so much! Your answers were really helpful. I have got offers back from Surrey, Reading, Kent and Sussex. I live in Spain actually, but I'm from London, so going to uni back in England again will be an interesting experience :h: Oh and I'm also considering applying to Bristol through Extra or clearing but I'm not sure yet
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi! I'm doing Psychology. I applied with my A level grades of AAB and was offered a place. I know people on my course that got less then that and I'm pretty sure Sussex are quite lenient with the grade requirements especially if you put them as your firm choice.
I'm in Norwich House which is one of the Park houses. It's quite loud and you share two loos and two showers between twelve but that hasn't been an issue! All the Park Houses are centrally located on campus which means you can walk pretty much anywhere in around five minutes!
It's a really friendly vibe here, the bars are always hosting events and there are a wide variety of societies to get involved with.
I am a Londoner and had been exposed to the party lifestyle that many Uni students look for for a couple of years so I'm not really down for partying all that often but there is something on most nights on campus dedicated student nights in Brighton if you do want to party!
Any other questions?

HI, I got an offer for business & management of ABC as I picked them as my firm, so do you think they'll be lenient enough to accept me with AAD? Thanks if you reply to this!
Original post by fudgeltwattle
Thank you so much! Your answers were really helpful. I have got offers back from Surrey, Reading, Kent and Sussex. I live in Spain actually, but I'm from London, so going to uni back in England again will be an interesting experience :h: Oh and I'm also considering applying to Bristol through Extra or clearing but I'm not sure yet

Be wary of Bristol and Warwick, they're ranked higher but i've heard from many that the quality of teaching and student satisfaction is rock bottom (especially for bristol) - but then this varies course by course I imagine so defo look into it!
Do you have any opinion on Brighthelm houses? I really like the look of them but worried that I miss out the 'uni experience' not living in halls first year and that only sharing with 5 people may make it quite unsociable? Thanks
Original post by King Boo
Be wary of Bristol and Warwick, they're ranked higher but i've heard from many that the quality of teaching and student satisfaction is rock bottom (especially for bristol) - but then this varies course by course I imagine so defo look into it!

Thanks, I'm looking into it :wink:
Hi there everyone!
ASK AWAY!!!

Hi KayaRose! Thank you so much for helping us out! I am a Student from Germany and I have made Sussex my firm choice, so hopefully I'll be studying Journalism at Sussex in September. I do have a lot of questions that I haven't been able to find answers to online yet. Maybe you could help me out?
Are you able to combine two courses or switch up your modules? I would love to add something politics related to my course.
How is the commute? Do you have to pay for a Bus ticket? This may sound like a weird question, but here in Germany students get free bus tickets from their Unis...
I've also struggled to decide on an accomondation. I don't know whether I will need an en-suite bathroom or not, it also easily charges 100£ more a month. How do you pay your student accomondation? It seems like you do per week, which is a bit confusing to me?
I am torn between Lewes Court 1 and Park Houses. Which one is more sociable? Which one is closer to the School of Film and Media where I'll most likely be studying? How are the bathrooms? How many people use the same one?
Are there wasching machines in all accomondation?

Sorry for the overload, I'm really thankful for any answer!!

Quick Reply

Latest