Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Yo. I just did an iGCSE English Language question one answer from the June 2014 exam, and I was wondering if anybody would be willing to mark it? It'll only take 15 minutes and I'm like mad worried about my exam this tuesday; I've got no idea if I'm doing anything right at all. I understand the tone is absolutely ****... but are my development points alright? I really wanna know what mark I'd get out of 15 for the reading part of this question.

If anybody could mark it with some feedback they would literally be so my messiah tbh.

Thanks hella if anybody's willing to do this I guess.

Here's the mark scheme: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/188180-...k-scheme-2.pdf
    Here's the insert: http://www.cie.org.uk/images/188172-...4-insert-2.pdf
    ...and here's the trash that I wrote lmfao:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    iGCSE English Language Question 1 June 2014 (Sammy’s Place)
    Dear Public Health Officer,I am writing to alert you to a health and safety hazard… Sammy’s Place.Sammy’s Place is an affordable, low cost youth hostel which I found online for my daughter, yet, despite their deceptively appealing advertising, the hostel was truly abhorrent.Firstly, the conditions at the hostel are definitely of major concern. Upon entering my daughter’s room, my attention was drawn to an overflowing sink and leaking rubbish bags; these dirty conditions will undoubtedly cause disease to spread. What was further alarming was the dire state of their threadbare carpet whereby I nearly tripped; this is a clear safety hazard as if I tripped the consequences would have been severe - there is a clear lack of care given to infrastructure here. The rats which most likely outnumber the human inhabitants was also grossly alarming. The disease which these rats could be spreading is unthinkable - there is a clear sanitation issue at Sammy’s Place. Perhaps the most disturbing element of all was the strong smell of gas; the health issues, explosive hazards and overall safety risks as a result of this issue is a major cause for concern. The sink was covered in cracks and was verging on becoming derelict, potentially causing countless issues regarding water leakage and contamination. There was also a faulty lightbulb which has not been fixed and could be occurring due to an electricity issue - potentially causing a fire hazard.The management of the hostel was absolutely dire! The bins were full and leaking and the sink was overflowing - the inhabitants clearly failed to meet what little responsibility is required of them. The so-called manager/receptionist Jed was not found at the reception but rather partying! This is not only a clear lack of responsibility, yet also a public disturbance due to the noise occurring so late at night and furthermore a security risk as anybody could’ve walked into the hostel there and then! Young people were all up, late at night, partying - this is irresponsible, a disturbance to neighbours and generally a terrible habit! Young people need at least 8 hours of sleep. This was pure anarchy. When questioned about the gas, Jed merely told me that it was “normal” and “probably from a neighbouring establishment”. In what world is gas leakage normal?! In what world is not knowing the source of the leakage acceptable?! In what world is a management so clueless, so unqualified and so careless deemed to be safe?!If the hostel were to remain open, disease would most likely spread rapidly due to the poor sanitation. Neighbouring complaints and delinquency will rise from the lack of rules regarding sleeping hours from the event which I witnessed. The lack of staff outlined by the missing receptionist suggests that theft and security threats could arise. The lack of enforcement of rules and duties such as clearing dishes/taking out the trash could lead to a wave of irresponsibility. The gas leak and faulty electricity could cause a fire hazard or an explosion, which would be drastic. The damaged sink is a clear cause for concern as it could lead to water contamination or a flood. The rat issue could certainly lead to an infestation of disease or other horrific infections.I hope you take into account my concerns over the mirth which Sammy Place has displaced, and aim to come to a swift and certain resolution not for my sake, but for your city’s.Yours Faithfully,Mrs Wilkie.

You've used a lot of the points listed in the mark scheme which shows clear understanding of the text and will get you a good reading mark (14 or 15). Your writing style is also engaging with good use of vocabularly. I would give you a 4 for writing because some points felt very list-like. Remember to use words like however, therefore, despite as it will help link your points together.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mxskaan)
    You've used a lot of the points listed in the mark scheme which shows clear understanding of the text and will get you a good reading mark (14 or 15). Your writing style is also engaging with good use of vocabularly. I would give you a 4 for writing because some points felt very list-like. Remember to use words like however, therefore, despite as it will help link your points together.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hi could you help me please. i got 39/50 on my coursework and 21/3- on speaking and listeming. how many marks do i need in the test to get a B overall

(Original post by BeAsT_)
    hi could you help me please. i got 39/50 on my coursework and 21/3- on speaking and listeming. how many marks do i need in the test to get a B overall
    41/50 for an A and 31/50 for a B approximately using last year's grade boundaries.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! You've genuinely calmed me down so much. Deadass, I'm so grateful right now. ^-^

(Original post by FluuidKarma)
    Thank you so much! You've genuinely calmed me down so much. Deadass, I'm so grateful right now. ^-^
    No problem, that was admittedly a very strong response to question 1. Good luck for tomorrow! I really hope it's an interview or letter and not a formal report😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    41/50 for an A and 31/50 for a B approximately using last year's grade boundaries.
    thanks and lets hope the grade boundaries stay the same.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.