The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
worried_mess
Yeah i was reading about that, it sounds perfect, I'm going to ask the 6th form head what he makes of it first though, but I have booked a place on the open day in sep!

Good good, be sure to look at the newly built accomodation, I'm told it is very nice!!! :smile:
Reply 41
Leekey
Seriously wierd aint it!!! :eek:

Life seems somewhat empty without thread hijacking :wink:
Reply 42
shiny
Life seems somewhat empty without thread hijacking :wink:

I'm sure we'll get back on form soon, although without Myst we seem like lost sheep... :frown: :biggrin:
I'd just like to give my thanks to both Worried Mess and Leekey. I've learnt a lot from this thread, and this has really brought home to me how little time I have left to decide on Uni.

Now all I have to do is choose what I really want to do. Law, Marketing, Psychology or stick with Business which I am doing a Double AVCE in.

Does anyone know of a Uni which offers a lot of combined degree choices? Oxford Brookes I have been looking at quite a lot (I am LOVING their Law with Marketing Management course!), and I am impressed, but I have yet to find another Uni which seems to take combined degrees as seriously.

Any advice is very welcome!
Reply 44
risk-is-good

Does anyone know of a Uni which offers a lot of combined degree choices? Oxford Brookes I have been looking at quite a lot (I am LOVING their Law with Marketing Management course!), and I am impressed, but I have yet to find another Uni which seems to take combined degrees as seriously.

Any advice is very welcome!

Keele may just have been made for you!!! They offer ONLY combined honours and their Law department is tremendous. I can personally vouch for the friendly people and while the location gets a bit boring after 17 years it, I think that it would be great for anyone staying for 3/4/5 years!!! :wink: Other than that one which sprung immediately to mind you might consider looking at UEA, Newcastle and Reading, all of which I'm assured have great departments. :smile:
Reply 45
Leekey
Keele may just have been made for you!!! They offer ONLY combined honours and their Law department is tremendous. I can personally vouch for the friendly people and while the location gets a bit boring after 17 years it, I think that it would be great for anyone staying for 3/4/5 years!!! :wink: Other than that one which sprung immediately to mind you might consider looking at UEA, Newcastle and Reading, all of which I'm assured have great departments. :smile:

Lancaster and leeds both seemed to be good with the combined degrees as well, there's a reasonable choice of subject combinations on offer. But Keele is definitly the first thing that springs to mind when somebody mentions joint degrees
Thanks guys. Will look into it.

This is scary stuff!

Oh, and if the Entry Req. state BBB, but I have BBC currently at the end of the 1st year of A Levels, is it worth me applying for a BBB course? I really will work extra hard this year as this past week has made me realise that I cannot afford to mess around, so is it just a case of getting my tutors to believe that I will get the higher grades??
Reply 47
risk-is-good

This is scary stuff!

Oh, and if the Entry Req. state BBB, but I have BBC currently at the end of the 1st year of A Levels, is it worth me applying for a BBB course? I really will work extra hard this year as this past week has made me realise that I cannot afford to mess around, so is it just a case of getting my tutors to believe that I will get the higher grades??

If you can get your tutors to predict you BBB, it's definitly worth applying. If not, is still worth a shot, so long as you apply to some course with lower grades in case you don't get in.
Reply 48
risk-is-good

This is scary stuff!

Pretty much yeah!!! If your predicted grades are good enough then most universities will be willing to seriously consider you. If you are only one or two grades short of the requirements and you know that you can meet them (at this point you have resits and c/w ahead of you so you should be full of confidence :wink: ) then you should definitely apply there (if you like the place that is)!!! :smile:
Cheers!
Risk-is-good, I am glad I helped, not too sure how I did though!

The thing that scares me, my AS year was a really bad one, after two terms ALL my mates had dropped out and I was 99% sure I was going to, but I stuck in there... but my heart wasnt in it and I got really depressed. But after just getting through my AS I made a promise to try hard at A Level, but I am finding it really difficult already and not sure if my grades will be attractive enough..... but I know I will end up somewhere and thats better than being a bum :biggrin:
worried_mess
Risk-is-good, I am glad I helped, not too sure how I did though!

The thing that scares me, my AS year was a really bad one, after two terms ALL my mates had dropped out and I was 99% sure I was going to, but I stuck in there... but my heart wasnt in it and I got really depressed. But after just getting through my AS I made a promise to try hard at A Level, but I am finding it really difficult already and not sure if my grades will be attractive enough..... but I know I will end up somewhere and thats better than being a bum :biggrin:

You helped by asking these questions.

I had a similar AS year. None of my mates dropped out, but my main course class went from about 30 students to 10, which was quite worrying!

During the holidays I am going to try and teach myself some of A2, and revise loads of AS as I will be re-sitting a few exams.

Good luck!
Reply 52
Leekey

keele does do single-honours degrees as well, although they are in the minority and 3 subjects are taken in the first year. they then drop to either 2 or 1 in 2nd year. not all subjects are available as single honours though (maths was only made a single honours last year), but my brother applied there for a single honours in politics and i have a friend who applied for computing there.

lou xxx
risk-is-good

This is scary stuff!

I'm sure everyone involved in this thread is happy to help out, what is more scary is the lack of information made available to the vast majority of Year 12 students regarding pre-application Open Days, UCAS HE Conventions, the application process, and the financial application process.

Obviously we'll provide as much information on the board as possible, from our experiences of the system, it is just somewhat shocking, how many people have come on the board, for example, in the last 3 months, saying they have no idea about what they need to do to apply for student loan/tuition fee support from the LEA.

The first post in this thread is an example of an institution that are neglecting their students through not informing them of all their Post-18 options.
Reply 54
Expression
I'm sure everyone involved in this thread is happy to help out, what is more scary is the lack of information made available to the vast majority of Year 12 students regarding pre-application Open Days, UCAS HE Conventions, the application process, and the financial application process.

Obviously we'll provide as much information on the board as possible, from our experiences of the system, it is just somewhat shocking, how many people have come on the board, for example, in the last 3 months, saying they have no idea about what they need to do to apply for student loan/tuition fee support from the LEA.

The first post in this thread is an example of an institution that are neglecting their students through not informing them of all their Post-18 options.

there is a general lack of info. i had a good experience in comparison probably, cos the school took us to a uni fair & nagged us about ucas forms etc. however many people missed open days without realising. theres only really any emphasis on uni stuff in summer term, but open days start before then. it just by mistake that i realised the birmingham open day was in april last year! we've also had some quite useful talks on student finance, loans etc. our connexions woman was rubbish though - we were supposed to be askig her stuff & my friend ended up telling her what the only 6 unis that do vet science are!
Reply 55
Another (probably) stupid question...

Can you apply to more than one course at the same uni?

and...(although I think I've seen the answer somewhere)

When submitting the 6 uni/courses do you have to put them in order of preferance? And is this any different for medicine?
Reply 56
LS.
Another (probably) stupid question...

Can you apply to more than one course at the same uni?

and...(although I think I've seen the answer somewhere)

When submitting the 6 uni/courses do you have to put them in order of preferance? And is this any different for medicine?

One of my friends applied to 3 or 4 courses at the same Uni (keele)- she got offers for all of them.

You don't need to put them in order, no :smile:
Just make sure your personal statement is flexible and covers all courses. Dont put '' I think a business degree will help me .....'' if you have also applied for a psychology course.

another question I have, I think I have asked before in a round about way, but is a dual hons seen as 'weak' by employers? rather than a single one
Reply 58
Frances
One of my friends applied to 3 or 4 courses at the same Uni (keele)- she got offers for all of them.

You don't need to put them in order, no :smile:

Thanks Frances :cool:

I'm very likely going to be doing the same thing with notts/trent since I'm planning on staying in the local area.

Fortunately, all the courses I'm thinking of are all in the bio/chem area, so, in regards to that, I think my PS shouldn't be too difficult to write
worried_mess
Just make sure your personal statement is flexible and covers all courses. Dont put '' I think a business degree will help me .....'' if you have also applied for a psychology course.

another question I have, I think I have asked before in a round about way, but is a dual hons seen as 'weak' by employers? rather than a single one

I would think that that would depend on the career that you wish to go into and what exactly you are going to do dual-honours in.

Business and Law will have obvious advantages in the business world than Business and Media.

Latest

Trending

Trending