The Student Room Group

Feel like a failure at work

I'm still on probation at work and I didn't speak at a team meeting.

I'm a naturally quiet person and just find it extremely difficult speaking on a video call...I find it awkward like I'm talking to myself.

I was told that if I don't speak at team meetings, my job will be given to someone else.

I just feel like senior management is just picking on me more because I am quiet.

I perform stronger when I speak to people face to face...I get along with everyone in my team and I don't think senior management really sees that.

They just see a fraction thats my quietness, and they automatically think I'm not good enough because I'm shy and quiet.

I've really taken on board their advice and I'm just want to get better.

Feel like a failure when I'm giving it my all

any advice?
Reply 1
Is contributing at virtual team meetings important to achieving what is needed from your role? If so, if you want to stay in the role you will need to have a go, stepping outside your comfort zone. It will become easier with time. See if you can get some advice and support from a colleague you respect of even ask your boss for a mentor to help you.

If it’s not really important for the role and just a bit of a management whim you could try countering constructively, saying how and when you deliver to your best. You could join a trade union and get some advise and support as well. Although you’re likely to have precious few rights if they decide you’re not a fit for the role

Final thought is that it may not be the right job. If the corporate culture is getting you down and you don’t enjoy what you are doing, sometimes it is best to look for something better.

Good luck and hope you find a way through.
Original post by Anonymous
I'm still on probation at work and I didn't speak at a team meeting.

I'm a naturally quiet person and just find it extremely difficult speaking on a video call...I find it awkward like I'm talking to myself.

I was told that if I don't speak at team meetings, my job will be given to someone else.

I just feel like senior management is just picking on me more because I am quiet.

I perform stronger when I speak to people face to face...I get along with everyone in my team and I don't think senior management really sees that.

They just see a fraction thats my quietness, and they automatically think I'm not good enough because I'm shy and quiet.

I've really taken on board their advice and I'm just want to get better.

Feel like a failure when I'm giving it my all

any advice?

Hi! It seems like this is something that they would really want you to start doing, so would recommend you may need to push yourself out of comfort zone. If you need help with that I would recommend try talking to a friend or using a practice platform that can simulate being on a virtual call. May seem weird but gaining that familiarity can go a long way when it comes to gaining that confidence. I suffered with anxiety and speaking issues for a long time and unfortunately if you want to get better then you need to take risks, get some support that can help you build that up and make it easier for you to speak in meetings.

If this doesn't feel plausible to you or that you can't see yourself speaking more and need a work environment without this then you may need to look into finding a new role unfortunately. Not having confidence to speak can be a number of things, none of which make you a failure, just more you need to find an avenue or career path that better suits you :smile:

Hope this helps and best of luck going forward.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending