The Student Room Group

‼️highers help please!

I am currently an s5 student studying chemistry biology english maths and history at higher level. I got my prelims results a few weeks ago and I am far from happy😭 I got Bs in English and history, C in maths and Ds in Bio and Chem. I am hoping to do something in medicine after school but definitely not with these grades😂 English and history I don’t think I need help in but maths, chem and bio desperately!! If anyone has an advice or good books and recommendations I would be internally grateful. I am literally begging. Please. Also I should mention I think I come under the widening programme or whatever it is called. But please help, I need to make my family proud. 🙏🏼😔

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Idkwhattopick
I am currently an s5 student studying chemistry biology english maths and history at higher level. I got my prelims results a few weeks ago and I am far from happy😭 I got Bs in English and history, C in maths and Ds in Bio and Chem. I am hoping to do something in medicine after school but definitely not with these grades😂 English and history I don’t think I need help in but maths, chem and bio desperately!! If anyone has an advice or good books and recommendations I would be internally grateful. I am literally begging. Please. Also I should mention I think I come under the widening programme or whatever it is called. But please help, I need to make my family proud. 🙏🏼😔

For maths buy the higher zeta textbook it will help you so much and you'll understand everything in a much simpler way.

For Biology and Chemistry search up the hodder Gibson textbooks on both of these subjects these textbooks are a life saver they help you understand the key content much faster and better. The science subjects are strict though so you have to memorise what it says clearly. I hope this helps.
Original post by ZK40
Yo can you help me out with the English prelim assumed you have done it. I know the close reading was on tattoos, but I'm studying carol Ann duffy poems for set text and i'm finding that difficult. Do you by any chance know what the poem for carol Ann duffy was for your English prelim.

How did you know my close reading was on tattoos?
Original post by ZK40
For maths buy the higher zeta textbook it will help you so much and you'll understand everything in a much simpler way.

For Biology and Chemistry search up the hodder Gibson textbooks on both of these subjects these textbooks are a life saver they help you understand the key content much faster and better. The science subjects are strict though so you have to memorise what it says clearly. I hope this helps.

Ok so for English close reading personally I never study for it because I feel like you either get it or you don’t. But if you don’t all you need to do is memorise all the steps such as sentence structure, own words, word choice etc. the best thing I think is to make flashcards and keep them on your walls, somewhere were you look regularly (I put mines on top of my mirror) and I basically kept them up from s2 to s4 and the steps are EMBEDDED in my mind.

For the critical essay you just need to memorise your essay I don’t think there anything more to it.

The set text is a little difficult but not too much. All you need to do is identify the quotes which come up regularly in past papers and just learn the analysis of them. For carol ann Duffy poems it’s quite simple to identify them. Make flashcards for them and put them on your wall too. Make detailed notes on each poems or a mindmap if that’s easier.

So yeah that’s everything. Hope it helped and thanks for your advice. Let me know if you need anything else.
Original post by ZK40
Do you study Carol Ann Duffy for set text?

Yup
Original post by ZK40
I found out that P&N papers are exactly the same over the years and that this years I found out before my teacher did that it was on tattoos talking about people different opinions and that.

Ah ok ok I got so scared for a second 😭
Original post by ZK40
what one came up in the prelim? Please tell me my Prelim is tomorrow.

For us it was Ms Tilshcers classroom. So far I’ve done ms tilcher, originally and the mother one. the 10marker was on literal and metaphorical journeys so like “restful shapes moving” “browsing for the right sky” “chalky pyramids turned into dust” “you could travel up the blue mile” stuff like that. Your welcome
Original post by ZK40
ahahahaha, you thought I was some bad guy or something.

Just creeped me out 😭😭😂
Original post by ZK40
Thank you so much, I really appreciate this.

No worries hope the prelim goes good
No worries hope the prelim goes good

Heyy, I have my prelim tomorrow and was wondering if you know what critical essay questions came up for the drama section. Also, were the questions on Mrs. Tilscher's class similar to the 2019 paper/ do you remember any questions? And lastly, do you remember any questions from the ruae passage?
Original post by heyhosphegattio
Heyy, I have my prelim tomorrow and was wondering if you know what critical essay questions came up for the drama section. Also, were the questions on Mrs. Tilscher's class similar to the 2019 paper/ do you remember any questions? And lastly, do you remember any questions from the ruae passage?

hey girl I did my prelim over a month ago so I’m not the best of help. I think the drama question for “weakness and fear” again im not sure but I’m like 20% sure it was that😭😭

I’ve not seen 2019 paper so I don’t know

The ruae paper was very difficult and most people got like 9/30 that’s all I can remember

Any tips for maths or the sciences would be appreciated.
hey girl I did my prelim over a month ago so I’m not the best of help. I think the drama question for “weakness and fear” again im not sure but I’m like 20% sure it was that😭😭

I’ve not seen 2019 paper so I don’t know

The ruae paper was very difficult and most people got like 9/30 that’s all I can remember

Any tips for maths or the sciences would be appreciated.

Ooooof that's not good to hear I am so unprepared for tomorrow hahaha, but hope yours was good.
For maths I swear by the zeta maths textbook, they explain topics really well and have exam like questions for practice. I dropped both my sciences this year but mrs adam's chemistry on youtube saved my chemistry nat 5 exam last year so check her videos out if you haven't already!
Ooooof that's not good to hear I am so unprepared for tomorrow hahaha, but hope yours was good.
For maths I swear by the zeta maths textbook, they explain topics really well and have exam like questions for practice. I dropped both my sciences this year but mrs adam's chemistry on youtube saved my chemistry nat 5 exam last year so check her videos out if you haven't already!

Okay thank you so much 🩷🩷🩷 I know but again i did my English prelim on the 4th of dec😭🙏🏼 advice thou: write very fast! I lost so much time from writing too slow. And I would say for the close reading just waffle as much as you can writing random crap as long as it relates to question gets you the mark. English marking schemes aren’t very strict. I did give some advic3 to a boy in this poll thingy so go check them out! Best of luck ❣️

Hi! See the zeta maths book do you have it online? Like as a pdf? Or I think there is a password for it online do you know it? Please I’m so desperate. 😭🙏🙏🙏
Hi! See the zeta maths book do you have it online? Like as a pdf? Or I think there is a password for it online do you know it? Please I’m so desperate. 😭🙏🙏🙏

Helloooo, our school purchased the zeta maths online book and gave us the password I don't think there's a pdf available sadly sorryyy
Helloooo, our school purchased the zeta maths online book and gave us the password I don't think there's a pdf available sadly sorryyy

Omg thank you so much! Can you tell me the password or even just message it to me. Very much appreciated 🩷🩷
Have you tried the how to pass books? I used them for higher chemistry and biology last year and they were really helpful, especially if you're unsure of course content. You can get them fairly easily from Amazon, World of Books or a local bookshop and iirc they're not too expensive, especially from World of Books. There is a how to pass book for maths, but I didn't really use it - I did past papers and Dr Frost homework until I knew what I was doing. It could work for you though!

There are also some good channels on YouTube that cover the whole of the courses - the ones I watched were Miss Adams Chemistry (already mentioned above), Mr Mitchell for biology and Clelland Maths as well as Mr Thomas for Maths.

I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by tvmusicandcandy
Have you tried the how to pass books? I used them for higher chemistry and biology last year and they were really helpful, especially if you're unsure of course content. You can get them fairly easily from Amazon, World of Books or a local bookshop and iirc they're not too expensive, especially from World of Books. There is a how to pass book for maths, but I didn't really use it - I did past papers and Dr Frost homework until I knew what I was doing. It could work for you though!

There are also some good channels on YouTube that cover the whole of the courses - the ones I watched were Miss Adams Chemistry (already mentioned above), Mr Mitchell for biology and Clelland Maths as well as Mr Thomas for Maths.

I hope this helps :smile:

Hello thank you so getting back to me! I haven’t tried them books out yet but I did see inside the bio one and I thought it was great tbh. I will definitely check on eBay or Facebook for some because on Amazon it’s like £17 for one 😰😰😰

But thank you so much ❤️
Hello thank you so getting back to me! I haven’t tried them books out yet but I did see inside the bio one and I thought it was great tbh. I will definitely check on eBay or Facebook for some because on Amazon it’s like £17 for one 😰😰😰

But thank you so much ❤️

No problem! I forgot about eBay haha. I think the only issue might be getting the right copy - a lot of the ones I saw were the 2014 first edition, and I didn't see many listings for the 2018 second edition. I'm sure you'll be able to find the right one somewhere (•‿•)
Ok so for English close reading personally I never study for it because I feel like you either get it or you don’t. But if you don’t all you need to do is memorise all the steps such as sentence structure, own words, word choice etc. the best thing I think is to make flashcards and keep them on your walls, somewhere were you look regularly (I put mines on top of my mirror) and I basically kept them up from s2 to s4 and the steps are EMBEDDED in my mind.

For the critical essay you just need to memorise your essay I don’t think there anything more to it.

The set text is a little difficult but not too much. All you need to do is identify the quotes which come up regularly in past papers and just learn the analysis of them. For carol ann Duffy poems it’s quite simple to identify them. Make flashcards for them and put them on your wall too. Make detailed notes on each poems or a mindmap if that’s easier.

So yeah that’s everything. Hope it helped and thanks for your advice. Let me know if you need anything else.

it sounds stupid but what did u write down on the cards for close reading?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending