Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Find dx
    dy

y = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

Also, am I the only one who really enjoys surds ?

Yes I know these aren't surds, inb4 so [email protected] says it. Thanks for the help, will loiter to pay it forward.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HanSoloLuck)
    Find dx
    dy

y = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

Also, am I the only one who really enjoys surds ?

Yes I know these aren't surds, inb4 so [email protected] says it. Thanks for the help, will loiter to pay it forward.
    What's the issue? It's a simple case of differentiating each term carefully by using the rule that differentiating ax^n gives anx^(n-1).

ReputationRep:
    Firstly I think you mean dy/dx

and secondly like the person above me said what's the issue ?

dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shoot)
    Firstly I think you mean dy/dx

and secondly like the person above me said what's the issue ?

dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4
    Nope, i don't get it. I know it's something incredibly dumb that I'm missing, but, I can no brain that at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, i don't get it. I know it's something incredibly dumb that I'm missing, but, I can no brain that at the moment.
    Saying "i don't get it" is extremely useless. What particular bit don't you get? What's the issue? What have you tried?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry man I got you on this,

basically what I did was the differentiation rule ( you can take all the values out separately if it makes it easier for you to understand)

So the f(x) = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

So you have the value of 2X^3, - 3X^2 , 4X and - 6

Now what you basically do is times the indices to the coefficient

so in this case I did 2 x 3, 3 x 2 and 4 x 1 ( I ignore the 6 as it doesn't have a variable and isn't a coefficient )

Then once I do that I subtract the indices by -1 so the ^3 becomes ^2, the ^2 (on 3X) becomes ^1 (so just X) and the X is removed from the 4X as it was basically (4X^1)

So my answer then is dy/dx = dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Saying "i don't get it" is extremely useless. What particular bit don't you get? What's the issue? What have you tried?
    I like your enthusiasm to want to help, it's a little creepy but kinda nice. Didn't realize what it was asking me/was trying to do something else entirely without realizing.

(Original post by Shoot)
    Don't worry man I got you on this,

basically what I did was the differentiation rule ( you can take all the values out separately if it makes it easier for you to understand)

So the f(x) = 2X^3 - 3X^2 + 4X - 6

So you have the value of 2X^3, - 3X^2 , 4X and - 6

Now what you basically do is times the indices to the coefficient

so in this case I did 2 x 3, 3 x 2 and 4 x 1 ( I ignore the 6 as it doesn't have a variable and isn't a coefficient )

Then once I do that I subtract the indices by -1 so the ^3 becomes ^2, the ^2 (on 3X) becomes ^1 (so just X) and the X is removed from the 4X as it was basically (4X^1)

So my answer then is dy/dx = dy/dx = 6X^2 - 6X + 4
    Yep thanks, simple to do, as said above, I was trying to do something else entirely. I'll bring my crayons to the exam I guess, wont even use them to draw, just jam them up my nose........ over tired.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.