The Student Room Group

CCEA M1 Mechanics 25th May 2016

Scroll to see replies

On the whole I think that went pretty well; the last 2 Q6 and Q7 were decently tricky, but could have been a lot worse based on previous past papers.

On the whole, I think that went well; nothing that was impossible!
What did you get for 7? I got 1.37 m
I got 0.3... As the answer to acceleration in question 6, I feel like that is wrong ahha I found it hard but doable
Original post by Bclare163
how did everyone find it ? and does anyone have the paper/unofficial mark scheme

It was actually difficult compared to all the past papers. Think I failed it ngl
Can someone explain how they did the ladders question. Im normally ok with ladders but I found this one so confusing and ended up with an answer larger than the ladder after writing a bulls**t method to get method marks.
Basically I let F = coefficient x R. And then I took moments from A, letting the distance the man climb be x. I got 1.37 but I'm not sure if that's right
Original post by student349
Can someone explain how they did the ladders question. Im normally ok with ladders but I found this one so confusing and ended up with an answer larger than the ladder after writing a bulls**t method to get method marks.
Original post by Bclare163
What did you get for 7? I got 1.37 m

Yes I did

Can you remember the wording of the question, and I can show you then!

When you resolved horizontally you got the reaction at B= friction
When you resolved vertically you got the reaction at A= 20g+70g

Then when you resolved everything parallel/ perpendicular to the plane; you took moments about A,
(20gcos65 x 1) + (70gcos65 x x) = RBsin65

From that, you then worked our Rb, equalling friction as you could work out the reaction at A, and then x was the distance from A that the 70kg was.

Hope that helped!
Reply 28
What did you all get for Q2 (displacement time graph)?
I got;
5 m/s
Displacement= -280
Avrg speed= 4.74 m/s

Q4
Times at rest; 2s and 10s
And the distance travelled between 0s and 10s= 104m?

Anyone get these or different?
Original post by ozmo19
I got;
5 m/s
Displacement= -280
Avrg speed= 4.74 m/s

Q4

For that d/t graph, was it distance or displacement they were looking for?

Not sure about my Q4 answer
Reply 30
Original post by John5678
For that d/t graph, was it distance or displacement they were looking for?

Not sure about my Q4 answer

They asked for displacement. Did you get 280 anyway?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 31
I understood the pulleys question fine, but I mucked it up the answers majorly somehow... Hoping it was just a calculation error and that I wont be punished too harshly for it...
When you resolved horizontally you got the reaction at B= friction
When you resolved vertically you got the reaction at A= 20g+70g

Then when you resolved everything parallel/ perpendicular to the plane; you took moments about A,
(20gcos65 x 1) + (70gcos65 x x) = RBsin65

From that, you then worked our Rb, equalling friction as you could work out the reaction at A, and then x was the distance from A that the 70kg was.

Hope that helped!
Thanks. I was running out of time and I just put as much relevant info as possible on the page. Ill be lucky to get 3 or 4 method marks:s-smilie:
Ah I did RB instead of RBsin65, ah well that is only a mark lost hopefully. I ended up with 1.42 instead :frown:
Reply 34
Are there any unofficial mark schemes for the paper yet?
Original post by ozmo19
They asked for displacement. Did you get 280 anyway?

Must of read the question wrong; I got 1480, as I took it to be distance travelled [600+600+280] Hopefully I didn't lose too many marks!
Must of read the question wrong; I got 1480, as I took it to be distance travelled [600+600+280] Hopefully I didn't lose too many marks!

I did that too.. I'm pretty sure it did ask it?? It asked for the displacement of D and then the total distance traveled

I got the same as you, I thought it said distance...
Original post by ozmo19
I got;
5 m/s
Displacement= -280
Avrg speed= 4.74 m/s

Q4

I got the same as you for qu2!!
Qu 4 for total distance travelled I got 62.4m I think!!:frown: But got 2 and 10!
Reply 39
Original post by studentdream
I did that too.. I'm pretty sure it did ask it?? It asked for the displacement of D and then the total distance traveled

Original post by scomiskey872
I got the same as you, I thought it said distance...

"The cyclist maintains a constant velocity as he travels from B to D.
Find the displacement of D from O. [4]
Find the cyclist's average speed for the whole journey. [3]"

Didn't ask anything about distance or total distance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending