The Student Room Group

Edexcel Maths higher boundaries A*-A

My predictions for grade boundaries (I've tried to look at the jumps between 2010-2015)

A*- highest the boundaries could go: 165-168/200
A*-lowest grade boundaries could go: 160-162/200

It is unlikely they will keep it around 155 like last year my personal thought because the test was doable

A-highest the boundaries could go: 133-136/200
A- lowest the boundaries could go : 128-132/200

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ellamoon_22
My predictions for grade boundaries (I've tried to look at the jumps between 2010-2015)

A*- highest the boundaries could go: 165-168/200
A*-lowest grade boundaries could go: 160-162/200

It is unlikely they will keep it around 155 like last year my personal thought because the test was doable

A-highest the boundaries could go: 133-136/200
A- lowest the boundaries could go : 128-132/200

An A* for this exam would most likely be around 161-163, depending on the calculator paper

Some found the exam really difficult, but I thought it was fine! Maybe I was over prepared :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
As a rule for higher Edexcel I always say the same to students.

A* is 85%
A is 70%
B is 50%
C is 35%

The grade boundaries fluctuate depending on normal distribution curve. So if students find it easy it goes up and vice versa.

I have seen the paper and I think it will be 82% for an A* and 67% for an A.

Prof84
Wait only around 160 for an A*?? Omg I thought I would need at least 180 so I've been stressing about it wow this makes me feel 95% better :smile:
Original post by Prof84
As a rule for higher Edexcel I always say the same to students.

A* is 85%
A is 70%
B is 50%
C is 35%

The grade boundaries fluctuate depending on normal distribution curve. So if students find it easy it goes up and vice versa.

I have seen the paper and I think it will be 82% for an A* and 67% for an A.

Prof84

Isn't 85% the highest it has been? Most of the time it is around 80%-82%
Original post by I'm_infires
Wait only around 160 for an A*?? Omg I thought I would need at least 180 so I've been stressing about it wow this makes me feel 95% better :smile:

If you think about it, dropping 20 marks is quite a lot, so really an A* is doable if you put the work in! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Faizanasif
Isn't 85% the highest it has been? Most of the time it is around 80%-82%
The grade boundaries need to decrease because this was the hardest exam in 5 years we need to make a petition complain about those shitty A* questions or the ones at the end also the one at the start where it said ESTIMATE????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN MAKE IT CLEARER YOU MEAN THE ANSWER ORRR THE WORKINGS? So ye there are 2 answers for that I just put something like 60
If you think about it, dropping 20 marks is quite a lot, so really an A* is doable if you put the work in! :smile:

Yeah I'm surprised you need like 85% to get an A* cause that's a lot of marks lost
Original post by GCSEICT
The grade boundaries need to decrease because this was the hardest exam in 5 years we need to make a petition complain about those shitty A* questions or the ones at the end also the one at the start where it said ESTIMATE????? WHAT DO YOU MEAN MAKE IT CLEARER YOU MEAN THE ANSWER ORRR THE WORKINGS? So ye there are 2 answers for that I just put something like 60

Yeah there were 2 ways in doing the estimations question. I rounded the number to the nearest 100, but can't remember what I got :redface:

So far, I have asked at least 50 people on what they got for the last question, and I haven't approached 2 people that had the same answers. As I did rationalize the denominator and use Pythagoras to work out the base of the triangle, I'm hopeful for getting 2 marks out of 3 at least!
Original post by I'm_infires
Yeah I'm surprised you need like 85% to get an A* cause that's a lot of marks lost

Exactly haha. You can check the first half of the paper which have the easiest questions to get full marks on that and get like 60% for the second half and still able to get an A*! :biggrin:
An A* for this exam would most likely be around 161-163, depending on the calculator paper

Some found the exam really difficult, but I thought it was fine! Maybe I was over prepared :biggrin:

Yes the highest grade boundary was 2010 but exam was piss easy it was 176 for an A* the highest reasonable boundary was June 2013 which was 165 and Nov 2013 which was 169 boundaries for A* is always in the 160s
Yes the highest grade boundary was 2010 but exam was piss easy it was 176 for an A* the highest reasonable boundary was June 2013 which was 165 and Nov 2013 which was 169 boundaries for A* is always in the 160s

A lot of people are saying they found it quite hard. I can see twitter gradually being trended for how 'hard' this paper was. I don't think that was very hard at all. Maybe we were over prepared :biggrin:
A lot of people are saying they found it quite hard. I can see twitter gradually being trended for how 'hard' this paper was. I don't think that was very hard at all. Maybe we were over prepared :biggrin:

It actually wasn't hard-

1) people complaining about first question but the formula was literally given to u and was on the previous page?
2)there was a questionnaire which is easy as replaces the stem and leaf
3)the last question u would have got marks for even writing the formality and substituting numbers in

yeah I think we were over prepared :h: I hardly revised tho I just do past papers in class but my maths teacher is really good. I feel like a lot of people are exaggerating idk but it was slightly challenging than 2015 because a I actually found that test really good.
Reply 13
what was the paper out of
Original post by Dave50
what was the paper out of

Its always 100? :biggrin:
Reply 15
Meh... It was alright. Definitely one of the harder papers there are for the specification. Does anyone know if there's an unofficial mark scheme being made? I think I got 68-75. I bloody hope so!
It actually wasn't hard-

1) people complaining about first question but the formula was literally given to u and was on the previous page?
2)there was a questionnaire which is easy as replaces the stem and leaf
3)the last question u would have got marks for even writing the formality and substituting numbers in

yeah I think we were over prepared :h: I hardly revised tho I just do past papers in class but my maths teacher is really good. I feel like a lot of people are exaggerating idk but it was slightly challenging than 2015 because a I actually found that test really good.

In the November mocks, I did the 2015 paper and I found it horrible back then, mainly because I was severely ill, and I ended up vomiting when I was recommended to go outside of the exam room with an invigilator for 'fresh air'. I ended up with a C. However, since then and before, I have been getting A*s. I haven't done 2015 since then, so I don't really know. But when I flicked through it yesterday, it looked quite good, so it was probably due to my illness. But within the past few days, I ABSOLUTELY AVOIDED getting ill, as I knew it would come to a disaster! Thank God I didn't! :smile:
In the November mocks, I did the 2015 paper and I found it horrible back then, mainly because I was severely ill, and I ended up vomiting when I was recommended to go outside of the exam room with an invigilator for 'fresh air'. I ended up with a C. However, since then and before, I have been getting A*s. I haven't done 2015 since then, so I don't really know. But when I flicked through it yesterday, it looked quite good, so it was probably due to my illness. But within the past few days, I ABSOLUTELY AVOIDED getting ill, as I knew it would come to a disaster! Thank God I didn't! :smile:

Yes exactly I was ill like two weeks ago practically dying and I only had a few tests so wasn't that bad but I couldn't even revise cause I was so tired but I'm lucky I wrote all my notes out in like January so all I had to do was read them being Ill sucks
Yes exactly I was ill like two weeks ago practically dying and I only had a few tests so wasn't that bad but I couldn't even revise cause I was so tired but I'm lucky I wrote all my notes out in like January so all I had to do was read them being Ill sucks

Haha! I was very ill a week before my first exam, so I'm counting my self very lucky! :smile:

I feel that although I started revising in January, it was too late to get the best grades. But in A Levels I'm going to try and work a lot harder than this year :wink:
Haha! I was very ill a week before my first exam, so I'm counting my self very lucky! :smile:

I feel that although I started revising in January, it was too late to get the best grades. But in A Levels I'm going to try and work a lot harder than this year :wink:

I started basically in September but mostly coursework stuff but actually finished final notes in Jan basically I've just been going over things a lot of times. I like to rewrite my notes i don't know why? It helps
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending