The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Official imperial college london 2017 applicants

Hi guys and gals!
I've decided to start up this thread as I didn't seem to find any.

State your:
-intended subject
-GCSE/IGCSE grades
-AS-level(predicted/actual)
-A-level(predicted/actual)
-Extracurriculars

I know it's a bit early but good luck!!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Intended subject: Electrical Engineering

IGCSE(CIE): 6A* 1A 1B

AS-level(CIE)(predicted): AAAA in maths, physics, chemistry, and biology(I know, hardcore subjects)

A-level(CIE)(predicted): A*A*A*A
A-level(CIE)(what I think i might get): A*AAA

Extracurriculars: Worked as a part-time researcher at the best university in my country. Published a paper with a scientist on diabetes. Starting up an ecommerce business that sells electronics. Also planning to do some creative projects over the summer.

People might say I have a good chance, but i am seriously worried. A kid in my school with 7A*s in IG's and A*A*A* at A-level applied to Imperial EE and got rejected.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by KingYusHalo
Intended subject: Electrical Engineering

IGCSE(CIE): 6A* 1A 1B

AS-level(CIE)(predicted): AAAA in maths, physics, chemistry, and biology(I know, hardcore subjects)

A-level(CIE)(predicted): A*A*A*A
A-level(CIE)(what I think i might get): A*AAA

Extracurriculars: Worked as a part-time researcher at the best university in my country. Published a paper with a scientist on diabetes. Starting up an ecommerce business that sells electronics. Also planning to do some creative projects over the summer.

People might say I have a good chance, but i am seriously worried. A kid in my school with 7A*s in IG's and A*A*A* at A-level applied to Imperial EE and got rejected.

How have you not done AS yet and got A level predicted?
Reply 3
Original post by alldayniqqa
How have you not done AS yet and got A level predicted?

Eh, guessed
(edited 7 years ago)
IGCSE: A* As and a b in english. I don't remember exactly but i think they were like half A* and half A.
AS: AAAAB (AA)? Doing maths chemistry physics biology and the b for global perspectives (didn't really care). The other 2 As are for further maths which i will be doing next year and spanish for which i will be doing the whole a level but i don't think it will count towards uni entrance as i'm spanish.
A2s: Don't know yet but probably A*A*A (A*) with the A in chemistry and the extra A* for spanish and the other 2 A*s for physics and maths. This are my predictions being realistic i think.
Extracurricular: eh.... I play football and chess and i used to do karate... Nah i'm kidding. I guess i have no relevant experience apart from a one week work experience in an engineering company.. but i didn't really do anything
Btw does imperial require you to do step mat or pat for engineering?
PS: i'm still unsure where to apply to. Judging by my grades do you think a stand a chance of getting into imperial?
Anyone intending to apply for medical bioscience?
Reply 6
GCSE: 10A* 1A
AS (predicted by teachers): AAAA
- Maths Further Maths Econ and Bio

Extra: work experience in banks, prefects, dofe, art competition 1st place, other small little things that aren't important i guess
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
-Course - Medical Biosciences AND Molecular Bioengineering
-GCSE grades - 10A*s, 1A
-AS-level - AAAA
-A-level (predicted) - A*A*A*A*
-Extracurriculars - Im just going to include everything:
Work experience in a graphics designing company for 4 days. Shadowed in cardiology for a day. Shadowed a paediatric endocrinologist and a palliative care consultant split over 3 days. I also shadowed a neurosurgeon for a day. Attended biomedical science and pharmacy workshops. Worked with postdoctoral research fellows (Biochemistry) in a university for a day - preparing and purifying a specific protein for x-ray crystallography.
LOADS of wider reading. Deputy head boy etc..

Considering a gap year so may defer or decline the offer

EDIT: 20/12/16 - No longer applying
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by liemluji
Not really applying to Imperial but do I have slightest bit of a chance?
Ive never been to UK and Im not sure whether to apply for Uk unis or America.
If I applied to UK universities with these grades, which unis do you think will be willing to accept me?

AS (predicted by teachers): AAAA what I think I might get as worst grade: AABB if lucky AAAA*

Extra: work experience in banks, prefects, dofe, art competition 1st place, other small little things that aren't important i guess

Original post by ozmo19
-GCSE grades - 10A*s, 1A
-AS-level (predicted) - AAAA (AABB worst case)
-A-level (predicted) - A*AA / A*A*A
-Extracurriculars - Shadowed cardiologist/paediatric endocrinologist/palliative care consultant. Biomed and pharmacy workshops. Shadowed a biochemist.

But I don't think ill be applying for Medicine anymore and don't know what I want to do:s-smilie:

Holy Moly, i feel kind of depressed after looking at both of your GCSE results. Those are some wicked grades.
I guess what matters the most in Imperial admissions is your AS grades and your interview.
Original post by liemluji
Not really applying to Imperial but do I have slightest bit of a chance?
Ive never been to UK and Im not sure whether to apply for Uk unis or America.
If I applied to UK universities with these grades, which unis do you think will be willing to accept me?

AS (predicted by teachers): AAAA what I think I might get as worst grade: AABB if lucky AAAA*

I think you might have to get that one A* if you want to get into imperial but those gcses are amazing. Anyway I think is worth applying and there are more good unis in the UK if you get rejected
(edited 7 years ago)
how much do you think as level grades matter cuz i messed up in one?

i think I have quite strong GCSE grades

so assuming I get in as level (Maths A Futhermaths A BusinessStudies A Spanish C) and I do well in MAT what sort of chances am I looking at?
Original post by KloppOClock

so assuming I get in as level (Maths A Futhermaths A BusinessStudies A Spanish C) and I do well in MAT what sort of chances am I looking at?

Two students from my school that have just graduated got into imperial and they didn't have all As at as so i guess it shouldn't be a problem if you're dropping it
Reply 12
GCSE: 9A* (biology, chemistry, English language, French, geography, HE: food & nutrition, maths, RS) and 1 further A grade (English literature).

AS predictions: AAAA (biology, chemistry, maths, French)

Not yet done a-levels.

Extracurricular:
Member of my schools CCF
Enjoy sports incl. bike riding and athletics, but don't compete.
Volunteered at a food bank for 1.5 years
Hands on work experience in an elderly care home and have hospital experience.
Member of my schools prefect team.
Have done NCS and will be continuing as a 'mentor' this summer.

Based on this info, what sort of chance do I have on getting in? I know that entry is based largely on A level grades and BMAT scored esp. for 2017 entry.
Reply 13
Original post by KloppOClock

They aren't looking at AS/GCSE anymore, they focus rly strongly on MAT and your A2 predictions
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by agahaga
GCSE: 9A* (biology, chemistry, English language, French, geography, HE: food & nutrition, maths, RS) and 1 further A grade (English literature).

Not yet done a-levels.

Extracurricular:
Member of my schools CCF

Based on this info, what sort of chance do I have on getting in? I know that entry is based largely on A level grades and BMAT scored esp. for 2017 entry.

Applying for med lol forgot to mention
Original post by agahaga

Not yet done a-levels.

Extracurricular:
Member of my schools CCF

None of us can say what the chances are - your current stats are good and it sounds like you have good things to mention on your PS but as you said, the BMAT is a huge factor. There's a cut-off every year that you have to meet (this is where most people are unsuccessful) and you have to meet it for your application to be looked at further, no matter what other stats you have unfortunately.
Intended subjec: Maths
GCSE/IGCSE grades: 9As 2Bs in Junior Cert (we don't have A*s so I don't know?)
AS-level(predicted/actual): 6A1s, 1A2
-A-level(predicted/actual): Haven't asked yet, hopefully 7A1s
-Extracurricular: Maths Enrichment classes, Senior Maths Editor for Science Journal, STEM summer school, science fair winner for an invention with a patent pending, founded a computer programming club in my school, National finals of IJSO&EUSO, CoderDojo, writer for STEM website, history extended research project on a mathematician, named one of top 10 young entrepreneurs to watch by a tech magazine (perhaps not relevant?), piano grade 8, drama grade 10, won some essay competitions, won some language competitions, music performances, volunteering, coaching a kids sports team, etc etc (probably won't mention all these last few as not really relevant or special- I feel like lots of people have done these things)

I think my personal statement will be fine once I actually, y'know, write it! Not too worried about predicated grades either so really just have to focus on getting a good MAT score!!
Intended Subject: Computing (Games, Vision and Interaction)
GCSE: 1A*, 8A, 1B and a Distinction* (BTEC IT)
Predicted AS: AAAAA (Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Biology, Software Systems Development)
Predicted A2: Haven't a clue. From NI so we still do the old AS that contributes to the A2.
Extra-Curricular (inc. outside school): Developing a video-game in Unreal Engine 4. Ran a web hosting business. Ran a fan-site that's in the credits of the Tomb Raider game. Ran lots of websites in general. Young Enterprise. Mentored GCSE students struggling with Python. Elected as a prefect.

Anyone else applying for Computing? I'd really be interested to see what I'm up against, and if I may go cower in a corner and cry. Hahaha. :tongue:
I have been looking through university forums for medicine and a lot of potential applicants seem to have so many A*s (like 9-10) at GCSE. I have 7. I am aware it is good but is it good enough for Imperial?
Intended Subject: Chemical Engineering
GCSE: 5A*, 3A, 3B
Predicted A2: A*(achieved)A*A*A*( Maths, Further Maths, Physics, Chemistry)
Extra-Curricular (inc. outside school): HeadStart summer school in Chemistry(@ a top 20 Uni.), Gold Crest Award holder, EESW (engineering scheme) team nominated for a few awards, School Engineering Prefect, Rotary Interact club, tutoring maths for younger students during the holidays (KS3), a few weeks work experience at local pharmacy & health centre, UKMT, I also work as a waiter for a very busy restaurant, which i have been doing for just over 2 years now (not a very grand job, i know, but I enjoy it and I get paid:biggrin:)

I feel that my GCSE grades will hold my application down after seeing the grades of others :colondollar:
Also, I was given the option to do or not to do, the newly reformed Chem. and Phys. exams this year. Decided not to risk doing them, so the predicted grades for these subjects are based on mock exams and overall class work through out this year.
Will be getting my Maths A2 grade on Thursday!

Edit: got the A* in Maths!!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest