The Student Room Group

I got A*A*A and universities are just rejecting me left and right

In 2016, I went to Imperial college London to study biomedical engineering. I unfortunately left in 2017 that course because I developed a serious headache disorder.
It took many years for me to find a medication that finally reduced the pain.
I have now tried applying to universities again, and unis that were happy to give me an offer before are now rejecting me straightaway!

UCL rejected me on the basis that I 'did not show interest in biomedical engineering in my personal statement'
Queen Mary has rejected me on the basis of me 'not meeting general entrance requirements' (their website says the general entry requirements are AAA https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2023/biomedical-engineering/)
Both these unis were happy to offer me a place in the past

My instinct tells me these unis are simply not willing to take in someone with the baggage that I have and the gap in my CV. Maybe taking someone that dropped out due to health reasons before is too much of a risk
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 1
I would contact QMUL to find out what they mean by that to start with, but yes the large gap in your CV could be an issue to some.

However I think what you will find has changed massively is the competition for places, since covid and TAGs causing grade inflation unis have had to reduce the number of spots they can give out due to too many people meeting their offers in previous years. People with near perfect stats are getting rejected all over the place from top unis because they want more than just good stats now as it’s the only thing to differentiate between them.

Have you got any extra curriculars to show your interest in biomedical engineering eg work experience or attending conferences? Just reading a book or a few articles isn’t enough anymore for the more competitive unis
Reply 2
Original post by safari24
In 2016, I went to Imperial college London to study biomedical engineering. I unfortunately left in 2017 that course because I developed a serious headache disorder.
It took many years for me to find a medication that finally reduced the pain.
I have now tried applying to universities again, and unis that were happy to give me an offer before are now rejecting me straightaway!

UCL rejected me on the basis that I 'did not show interest in biomedical engineering in my personal statement'
Queen Mary has rejected me on the basis of me 'not meeting general entrance requirements' (their website says the general entry requirements are AAA https://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/coursefinder/courses/2023/biomedical-engineering/)
Both these unis were happy to offer me a place in the past

My instinct tells me these unis are simply not willing to take in someone with the baggage that I have and the gap in my CV. Maybe taking someone that dropped out due to health reasons before is too much of a risk

that sucks bro and i really feel bad for you and wish there's something I can do to improve the situation. Regarding your final sentence: with A*A*A, no one's doubting your ability at all so I'm fairly certain your grades were definitely not the problem for QMUL.
@safari24

Did you mention being unwell in your personal statement? Perhaps you need to leave this out or put a positive spin on it e.g. you are more resilient now/ you have even more determination to succeed/ it's given you a greater passion for biomedical engineering etc

Perhaps you can have a look at your personal statement from when you originally applied to uni and your most recent personal statement. Are there any major differences?

Are there ways that you could improve your statement e.g. hobbies, interests, volunteer work, skills or showing an awareness of recent changes in your field?

Perhaps, you can try clearing?

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 4
Contact each Uni and ask *why* you were rejected.
Reply 5
Original post by McGinger
Contact each Uni and ask *why* you were rejected.

I am contacting queen mary. UCL simply said they have nothing further to say and said their decision is final.
UCL said I didn't 'show interest through extra curriculars or other activities in biomedical engineering' even though that was the course I was studying in the past. My former tutor at Imperial and another officer only said that was strange. I think UCL thought that me dropping out before meant that I wasn't motivated
I am contacting queen mary. UCL simply said they have nothing further to say and said their decision is final.
UCL said I didn't 'show interest through extra curriculars or other activities in biomedical engineering' even though that was the course I was studying in the past. My former tutor at Imperial and another officer only said that was strange. I think UCL thought that me dropping out before meant that I wasn't motivated

The problem is that in recent years there are many more applicants applying to London so competition is more intense and more are getting rejected. Also you have been several years out of full time education and that could well be an issue. You would find outside of London you will more likely be accepted but the years out of education may well be a problem amd you might need something to show more recent study. a
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
The problem is that in recent years there are many more applicants applying to London so competition is more intense and more are getting rejected. Also you have been several years out of full time education and that could well be an issue. You would find outside of London you will more likely be accepted but the years out of education may well be a problem amd you might need something to show more recent study. a

How would I show more recent study? It's not like I can go back to sixth form

You can take another A-Level.
Reply 9
Original post by _fiazz
that sucks bro and i really feel bad for you and wish there's something I can do to improve the situation. Regarding your final sentence: with A*A*A, no one's doubting your ability at all so I'm fairly certain your grades were definitely not the problem for QMUL.

QMUL have informed me that they had to reject my application simply because I had already done over a semester of the same degree at a different university, and it's against their policy to offer a place for such people. I am going to try to appeal this decision since I didn't quit the degree due to reasons within my control.
@safari24

Before you got ill in 2016, were you enjoying the course? Were you doing well? What have Imperial said?

They might be worried in case you drop out again, but you could always talk about how you have handled things since you first got ill and strategies that you have in place if things were to deteriorate.

They might also be able to provide more support to you.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 11
From your posts, I can see why they rejected you.

Normally unis want to see recent evidence of Level 3 study. Did u have this when u applied? Something in like the last two years? If not I would suggest an Access course from September and then apply to uni next year. Also have you done any recent extra curricular activities? If not then there is another reason to be rejected.

What about doing a "short course" at somewhere like City University, or a suitable OU or Birkbeck module?

A'level courses would be available at your local FE college.
(edited 11 months ago)

If you've got no academic study since 2016, that will be the reason. Eight year old A level grades don't mean much. Take an OU module - that usually suffices for mature students.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending