The Student Room Group

M1 hard moment question involving vectors

1464950136113434130295.jpg hi guys can I get some help on this question please ? How do u work out the distance of the force to a is it the distance from the origin? It's the perpendicular distance but I am getting confused . Thanks
Attachment not found
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by coconut64
1464950136113434130295.jpg hi guys can I get some help on this question please ? How do u work out the distance of the force to a is it the distance from the origin? It's the perpendicular distance but I am getting confused . Thanks
Attachment not found

Moment=F*Perp distance, I'd draw the force touching A not going through the origin then add the the forces after considering whether they act clockwise or anti-clockwise.
Reply 2
Original post by Middriver
Moment=F*Perp distance, I'd draw the force touching A not going through the origin then add the the forces after considering whether they act clockwise or anti-clockwise.

Hi, how do you do that because the forces are acting in the opposite directions and also I don't know which is the perp distance. Thanks
Reply 3
Original post by coconut64
Hi, how do you do that because the forces are acting in the opposite directions and also I don't know which is the perp distance. Thanks

I'd advise against doing this question, it seems like one where the best case is using the scalar product which I don't think you've heard about you. It's not from a real paper, is it?

Quick Reply

Latest