The Student Room Group

Tanning when youre extremely pale

I'm going on holiday soon and I want to know how to tan when you are reallyyyy pale like basically luminous white???
I was considering getting a few sunbeds before I go (I know the risks I don't need a lecture- each to their own and all that) would that work to build up a bit of colour??
I do tan when I go on holiday but like only so much that it makes me a "normal" colour but I would just like to be a bit more brown to look nice on holiday :frown: please give me any tips or advice!!!!
Noooo please don't use a sunbed, really bad for your skin! UV light is ageing and increases the risk of skin cancer. Try fake tan - if you have some cash to splash go to a salon for a spray tan, and ask them about it first - you want something designed for pale skin so you look a nice colour, not orange, and not 'olive'. If you're used to using fake tan have a go at home yourself, if not, think about one of the 'hint of tan' daily moisturisers or aftersuns like Dove summer glow (if that's still available) - apply every day and you build up colour slowly, and it's difficult to make it 'streaky' (the big problem with fake tan if you aren't an expert).

I have fair skin, and all I get is freckles really if I try to tan naturally. I use a 'hint of fake tan' for a few days before a holiday, then wear sun block and use the hint of a fake tan as an after sun every day while I'm away, until I get to a reasonable colour. You can then use it to keep a bit of a tan for a while when you get back.
I'd recommend using a gradual tanner before you go away rather than sunbeds, so much less harmful!
Im extremely pale and I use bondi sands dark tanning mousse... One coat actually suits me and doesn't look fake? Just be careful on your knees and elbows and leave it to develop overnight

Quick Reply

Latest