The Student Room Group

How hard is it to get a training contract with a 2.2?is lpc even worth it

with a 2.2 I have heard its very hard but is it impossible? should I even go towards doing LPC or just take a year of and do some experience to put on my cv
Is that your final grade?
You have to decide what you want to do and if its a solicitor, then you have to decide how badly you wnat it and what your minimum criteria might be.

It will make it harder and will cut you off from the bulk of commercial firms who pay for LPC.
If you want to pursue, then you will have to consider smaller firms and fewer benefits.

Its possible, bit theres a chance you might give up even if you complete the LPC. You need to dedicate yourself to improving your CV and getting your foot in the door somewhere. If you really want it and commit, then you can do it.
Another route is through the Chartered Legal Executive scheme. Agree with posters above re LPC and tc. Half of my year never got a contract - at all.
You should consider the government legal contract, where the minimum criteria is a 2:2.
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
Is that your final grade?
You have to decide what you want to do and if its a solicitor, then you have to decide how badly you wnat it and what your minimum criteria might be.

It will make it harder and will cut you off from the bulk of commercial firms who pay for LPC.
If you want to pursue, then you will have to consider smaller firms and fewer benefits.

Its possible, bit theres a chance you might give up even if you complete the LPC. You need to dedicate yourself to improving your CV and getting your foot in the door somewhere. If you really want it and commit, then you can do it.

Yup this is pretty much the final grade , i really do want to do lpc but i guess i need to also work hard to get good experiences on cv too
Reply 5
Original post by rogerdadodger
Another route is through the Chartered Legal Executive scheme. Agree with posters above re LPC and tc. Half of my year never got a contract - at all.

Never heard of it , will look into that, did you try that too? What was your grade 2.1 or 2.2
LPC will just be a tremendous waste of money, I am afraid.
Reply 7
Original post by arsenalfan4life
You should consider the government legal contract, where the minimum criteria is a 2:2.

Really thanks i will look into that
Original post by Lord Hoffman

Not if they get a TC it wont be and some people do succeed, its just a whole lot harder.
Not if they get a TC it wont be and some people do succeed, its just a whole lot harder.

You're working backwards. The natural route is to secure a TC and then to undertake the LPC paid for by your firm. If OP is posting anxiously about their ability to secure a TC, whilst saying they might spend this year completing their LPC, then it makes sense that OP is thinking about self-funding the LPC. With a 2:2, this is not a sensible thing to do.

Some people have succeeded in securing TCs with 2:2s, I think you mean. They succeeded in the 70, 80s, 90s, early 00s. Getting fewer and fewer as the years go by. They don't succeed so much in 2016, and I don't think OP is likely to be much different. Perhaps if OP undertakes some work in criminal law in this year to come, and shows a remarkable knack for it, then a firm will give an offer of a TC. But without that offer, do not bother getting your LPC. It would be foolish. Note, I am not dismissing OP's life choices and saying they will fail in all theatres of potential employment because of a 2:2. They have a number of opportunities ahead of them; just not in law, not as a solicitor.
Its a risk, but if you show enough initiative, then you can do it. Whilst a significant number will fail and I always thinks it makes more sense to get someone else to pay, its not impossible there are ones who succeed. He just has to make some tough choices about how much he wants it and whether he wants to take the risk. If he wnats to self-fund it without a TC that's up to him. Not the choice I would make, but as long as they are aware of the risk, then up to them. I wouldnt dismiss any chance of a legal career, but he will need to pull his thumb out.
Reply 11

Why? Is it because of the 2.2?
Original post by Nunu786
Why? Is it because of the 2.2?

Yeah.
Reply 13
Yeah.

That's understandable but i guess we cannot say its a dead end with 2.2
Original post by Nunu786
That's understandable but i guess we cannot say its a dead end with 2.2

I dont think you appreciate quite how difficult it will make your task of getting a TC. Even if you get one its likely they will not pay for your LPC. The task of getting a TC I think will require more effort than the LPC.
Reply 15
I dont think you appreciate quite how difficult it will make your task of getting a TC. Even if you get one its likely they will not pay for your LPC. The task of getting a TC I think will require more effort than the LPC.

I do appreciate and understand where you are coming from i know it will be hard and near enough difficult but i guesa its not going to be fully impossible

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending