The Student Room Group

Possible effects of Brexit for international students?

I'm an international student (from the U.S) and I plan on attending Cambridge in the fall. I'm wondering if Brexit will affect me as a student at Cambridge in any way.
No.
Why... would it affect us...
Reply 3
Original post by Trinitymaths
I'm an international student (from the U.S) and I plan on attending Cambridge in the fall. I'm wondering if Brexit will affect me as a student at Cambridge in any way.

No. IF the vote is Leave it will take a minimum of 2 years for anything to happen, and even the Leave group is saying June 2020 at the earliest. I personally think that a Leave vote will just be a first step in a long and probably messy process that may result in further referendums anyway.

Also Internationals (as opposed to EU students) pay a much higher fee anyway and will always be welcomed with open arms :smile:
Well UK has voted to leave it appears, and the pound has fallen to a historic low (devaluing by more than 10%). This means the American dollar is stronger than it was before, so I'll be paying less, right? This assumes Cambridge doesn't increase their fees to compensate.
Reply 5
Well UK has voted to leave it appears, and the pound has fallen to a historic low (devaluing by more than 10%). This means the American dollar is stronger than it was before, so I'll be paying less, right? This assumes Cambridge doesn't increase their fees to compensate.

Indeed.
Will those who previously qualified as EU students have to pay the much higher fees that internationals do?
Reply 7
Original post by Wit Can Stay
Will those who previously qualified as EU students have to pay the much higher fees that internationals do?

No.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Indeed.

So in fact I WILL be affected by this. I wonder if this is reason to not go to Cambridge because I can't pay any more than I am already paying.
Reply 9
So in fact I WILL be affected by this. I wonder if this is reason to not go to Cambridge because I can't pay any more than I am already paying.

But your currency will buy more GBP. It's GBP that is going down. To be honest I doubt Cambridge will significantly raise international fees. They've gone up a lot in the past few years so hopefully that won't continue...

(But obviously i can't guarantee anything.)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok. What about a Cambridge degree being devalued in the eyes of the rest of the world (America in particular, as this is where I intend to go afterwards). I highly doubt Cambridge will lose its place as one of the best universities in the world, but I'm not sure, For example some are speculating about a brain drain from UK universities:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brain-drain-brexit-universities-science-academics-referendum-eu-a7100266.html
Reply 11
Ok. What about a Cambridge degree being devalued in the eyes of the rest of the world (America in particular, as this is where I intend to go afterwards). I highly doubt Cambridge will lose its place as one of the best universities in the world, but I'm not sure, For example some are speculating about a brain drain from UK universities:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/brain-drain-brexit-universities-science-academics-referendum-eu-a7100266.html

nah, Oxbridge and Imperial will be absolutely fine, reputation-wise, and tbh probably fundingwise too.

Certainly for the few years anyway...
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending