The Student Room Group

Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Zacken
sin2θ=2sinθcosθ\sin 2\theta = 2\sin \theta \cos \theta. You know what cosθ\cos \theta is so now you need only try and find sinθ\sin \theta, there's several things you can do here. One is draw a standard basic 3-4-5 triangle, another is use the Pythagorean identity. See if you make any progress.

Original post by RDKGames
Draw a right angled triangle. Mark one of the angles as θ\theta. Then you know the adjacent side is length 3 and hypotenuse is 5. You can use Pythagoras to work out the third side, thus you know sin(θ)\sin(\theta)

Thanks, yeah i got it now :biggrin:

What about cos( 2 theta)?

I found theta then subbed into 2cos^2 (theta) - 1 to get -7/25

but the mark scheme says 9/25 - 16/25
Original post by kiiten

9-16 = -7 ( they subbed into cos^2 - sin^2 instead)
Original post by kiiten

You don't even need to find θ\theta itself since you know the values of sin(θ)\sin(\theta) and cos(θ)\cos(\theta)

Okay, 9/25 - 16/25 = -7/25 so you're not wrong. They've used the identity in terms of sine and cosine for cos(2θ)\cos(2\theta) whereas you used the identity entirely in terms of cos(θ)\cos(\theta).
You don't even need to find θ\theta itself since you know the values of sin(θ)\sin(\theta) and cos(θ)\cos(\theta)

Okay, 9/25 - 16/25 = -7/25 so you're not wrong. They've used the identity in terms of sine and cosine for cos(2θ)\cos(2\theta) whereas you used the identity entirely in terms of cos(θ)\cos(\theta).

Yeah i see it now because you already know sin theta and cos theta.

Please could you help me with 9bii, i tried to expand then differentiate but i didnt get the right answer
Screenshot 2017-04-10 13.45.37.png
Original post by kiiten
Yeah i see it now because you already know sin theta and cos theta.

Please could you help me with 9bii, i tried to expand then differentiate but i didnt get the right answer

Correct approach. Show your working?
Correct approach. Show your working?

Sure, its a little messy but i understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Sure, its a little messy but i understand it

Posted from TSR Mobile

I meant Q9

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oops i crossed it out whilst i was trying to do it. But this is what i did:

Untitled.png
Original post by kiiten
Oops i crossed it out whilst i was trying to do it. But this is what i did:

Untitled.png

That's correct. You can express et4e^{-\frac{t}{4}} in terms of hh if you refer to the model's equation.
That's correct. You can express et4e^{-\frac{t}{4}} in terms of hh if you refer to the model's equation.

Ah yeah, thanks :smile:

So would this get full marks?

Untitled.png
Attachment not found
Original post by kiiten

yes
Original post by kiiten

Untitled.png
Attachment not found

Yep
Yep

Screenshot 2017-04-11 18.30.18.png
Attachment not found

Please could you explain 2c)ii) i dont really understand what im supposed to do.

For part a i know that the ranges would be IxI < 1 and IxI < 1/3

But im unsure of how you work it out when 2 binomial expansions are added/subtracted etc.
Original post by kiiten
Screenshot 2017-04-11 18.30.18.png
Attachment not found

Please could you explain 2c)ii) i dont really understand what im supposed to do.

But im unsure of how you work it out when 2 binomial expansions are added/subtracted etc.

This is a very good question, when you have two or more binomial expansions being used then individually you can work out what ranges of x they are valid for... so when you use both it's the intersection of the two or more conditions.

Eg one requires x<0.5 and the other requires x<0.75 then for both to be valid, you can say that x<0.5.
Original post by kiiten

Do you understand how we have the two inequalities of x<1\vert x \vert < 1 and 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1 from (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1} and (1+3x)1(1+3x)^{-1} respectively??

So an expression where both are involved will only be valid for xx which satisfies BOTH inequalities.

In this diagram I label the region where x<1\vert x \vert < 1 in red and 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1 in green. For xx to satisfy both, you're looking where these two regions overlap. Obviously, this will be 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1. Another way to think about it is that all values satisfying 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1 are contained within x<1\vert x \vert < 1 so the former is a stricter region, thus we choose it.

(edited 7 years ago)
Do you understand how we have the two inequalities of x<1\vert x \vert < 1 and 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1 from (1+x)1(1+x)^{-1} and (1+3x)1(1+3x)^{-1} respectively??

So an expression where both are involved will only be valid for xx which satisfies BOTH inequalities.

In this diagram I label the region where x<1\vert x \vert < 1 in red and 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1 in green. For xx to satisfy both, you're looking where these two regions overlap. Obviously, this will be 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1. Another way to think about it is that all values satisfying 3x<1\vert 3x \vert < 1 are contained within x<1\vert x \vert < 1 so the former is a stricter region, thus we choose it.

I dont really understand why but ive memorised it as the mod of x (from the expansion) is less than 1. Then rearrange so I3xI < 1 becomes IxI < 1/3

Yeah i see why IxI < 1/3 - its because it satisfies both IxI < 1 and IxI < 1/3 right? Looking back, i think i confused myself earlier - i thought that the range had something to do with if the expansions were added or subtracted.
Original post by kiiten
I dont really understand why but ive memorised it as the mod of x (from the expansion) is less than 1. Then rearrange so I3xI < 1 becomes IxI < 1/3

Yeah i see why IxI < 1/3 - its because it satisfies both IxI < 1 and IxI < 1/3 right?

Yep
Yep

Yep

Also i did one of those 'show that dy/dx' questions but im still not sure if i would get the marks. Its question 4c)i

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kiiten
Also i did one of those 'show that dy/dx' questions but im still not sure if i would get the marks. Its question 4c)i

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep, you would.

Quick Reply

Latest