Year 13 Maths Help Thread

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    This thread is for people who are studying A2 Level Maths (and Further Maths) and is the successor of the Year 12 Maths Help Thread which was created last year. Although I hope to be relaxing much of the time, I understand that other people want to keep their maths skills refreshed over the summer.

The rules are the same as those of the Year 12 Maths Help Thread:

Rules

1. Keep the discussion related to maths although I do not mind the occasional physics query.
    2. Please post your full working as this will enable a helper to detect any errors in your method.
    3. If you want to help somebody, don't post full solutions. Your help is meant to act as a springboard, not a featherbed as giving full solutions is unlikely to actually make somebody learn.

Helpers:
    If you want to be a helper, please state your intention to become one and place a brief reason why.

List:

Ano123
    B_9710
    SeanFM
    metrize
    RDKGames
    Zacken
    RickmanAlways
    Sonila1
    TimGB
    desante08
    ValerieKR
    Relevant Links:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    I'll volunteer to be a helper. My purpose in this life is to serve...maths to people?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ano123)
    I'll volunteer to be a helper. My purpose in this life is to serve...maths to people?
    Ano, your presence as a helper will very much be welcomed. Perhaps you can send some of your STEP style integration questions once I refresh my C4 integration; it's been four months since I learnt it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Palette)
    Ano, your presence as a helper will very much be welcomed. Perhaps you can send some of your STEP style integration questions once I refresh my C4 integration; it's been four months since I learnt it.
    Perhaps it will be more in place in this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Sure I can be a helper. Starting Maths at uni in sept. and I don't mind keeping my skills sharp over the summer c:

ReputationRep:
    I'll certainly be around to help. I think I was quite a frequent poster on the year 12 thread, so may as well keep it going. It's what I do.

ReputationRep:
    I'll get the ball rolling. If anyone is out there who has done some trigonometry and want to put their knowledge to the test, here's a tough question they can try if they want to. (Probably not many for another few months at least). I made it up a while ago.
    Name:  Sin 3.png
Views: 1419
Size:  25.1 KB
    For the solving the equation the question should really state that 0<x<90.

ReputationRep:
    I'll get the ball rolling. If anyone is out there who has done some trigonometry and want to put their knowledge to the test, here's a tough question they can try if they want to. (Probably not many for another few months at least). I made it up a while ago.
    Name:  Sin 3.png
Views: 1419
Size:  25.1 KB
    You just love trig with radicals dont you

ReputationRep:
    Here we go again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    You just love trig with radicals dont you
    I do. I don't know what it is, I just love seeing all the square roots all over the place and finding exact values for trig functions for non trivial angles. This question is basically using compound angle formula.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Here we go again.
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Dont mind helping, doing further this year now

ReputationRep:
    I can help with S4 stuff.. though anyone who is studying S4 is highly unlikely to need my help.

Also D2 if my textbook ever arrives

ReputationRep:
    I am finding the questions in the C3 Heinemann textbook incredibly uninspiring.

C4 vectors is a bit too boring to finish off right now plus whenever I see the term 'position vector' I instantly think of mechanics.

ReputationRep:
    My D2 textbook has arrived :excited: I feel like a 6th former again. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    My D2 textbook has arrived :excited: I feel like a 6th former again. :moon:
    Right after D2's exam today, how appropriate.

ReputationRep:

For the solving the equation the question should really state that 0<x<90.
    Here they are! Fixed the problem with images not uploading too.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Good job. You made it a bit more difficult though when you found cos15. It is easier to just use cos15=cos(45-30), you had to deal with the nested radical by doing this.

ReputationRep:
    Good job. You made it a bit more difficult though when you found cos15. It is easier to just use cos15=cos(45-30), you had to deal with the nested radical by doing this.
    Dammit

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

How did you solve and find the value of sin18 ?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 9, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read here first

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.