The Student Room Group

Modern Languages with Linguistics degree

Hi! I've just started A2 and my A levels are French, Philosophy & Ethics and English lit and lang. I am thinking about doing Modern languages with Linguistics at Newcastle University. I would like to be a secondary school teacher and I'm not sure whether I'd like to teach English or languages yet. So if I did this degree (50% in languages and 50% in linguistics (in English + my chosen languages) would I be able to do a secondary PGCE in English and be able to teach it? (Even though I just have 50% of my degree in linguistics?) btw, anyone doing linguistics or languages or both, do you like studying them?
Original post by existential
So if I did this degree (50% in languages and 50% in linguistics (in English + my chosen languages) would I be able to do a secondary PGCE in English and be able to teach it? (Even though I just have 50% of my degree in linguistics?)

Probably. I know that most PGCE providers are happy to accept linguistics graduates onto English PGCEs, but ultimately it will come down to what modules you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending