The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by symingth
Sure, I had my interview on 23 January (Wednesday) and I heard on 31 January (the following Thursday). They sent me an email, asking me to confirm that I'd like to take them up on the offer; in CAMSIS I'm still on 'Under consideration by department', which I presume simply means that things haven't been processed by BoGS yet. I do know that they a) waited till they'd interviewed everyone for the DTP (all during week beginning 21 Jan) and b) went to the executive committee of the DTP before sending out those offer emails. I guess there may be a few people saying no, they didn't want to take them up on it, so a couple of others might then have been emailed offers.

Hope this helps.

Thank you, it was helpful! I'm waiting to hear back from an interview but still nothing so I was wondering what the process would be. Congratulations to you though! The BBSRC programme looks pretty amazing :smile:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
congratulations capplicant! I've been following and sympathising with your application anguish.
Original post by kapina
Thank you, it was helpful! I'm waiting to hear back from an interview but still nothing so I was wondering what the process would be. Congratulations to you though! The BBSRC programme looks pretty amazing :smile:

Thank you! I'm dead chuffed, particularly because I finished my undergrad degree in 2002, and I've been working since then (out of science). I've been wanting to come back to it for a number of years now, and I finally plucked up the courage to quit my job and do something about it. So, I'm rather surprised and delighted to have been picked! I should say that the process I've described is the one which happened this year for the DTP; the process for other schemes and in other years may vary... What are you waiting on?
Original post by symingth
Thank you! I'm dead chuffed, particularly because I finished my undergrad degree in 2002, and I've been working since then (out of science). I've been wanting to come back to it for a number of years now, and I finally plucked up the courage to quit my job and do something about it. So, I'm rather surprised and delighted to have been picked! I should say that the process I've described is the one which happened this year for the DTP; the process for other schemes and in other years may vary... What are you waiting on?

It looks like you really wanted it so really well done on getting in!! The programme indeed looks pretty cool! I actually applied to that one too, but the interview didn't go that well so I guess I don't have that one, but that's okay :smile:. I also applied to the MRC DTP for which the interview I think went well so I am currently waiting to hear back!
Original post by kapina
It looks like you really wanted it so really well done on getting in!! The programme indeed looks pretty cool! I actually applied to that one too, but the interview didn't go that well so I guess I don't have that one, but that's okay :smile:. I also applied to the MRC DTP for which the interview I think went well so I am currently waiting to hear back!

Aw, pants, sorry to hear you haven't had anything from them yet. I did really, really want to do it, you're right - I spent quite a bit of time in the UL mugging up on stuff along the lines of the projects which I did when I was an undergrad and how things have changed since then. The MRC DTP looks really good too - I think that one of the key things is having a group of people all doing it at the same time so you can all spark off each other. Good luck!
Anyone else put King's College as their preference? How long does it take for King's College to reply?
Original post by Gibsone
Anyone else put King's College as their preference? How long does it take for King's College to reply?

I did! I have no idea how long the wait should be - I'm still even waiting for a decision (PhD applicant) :biggrin:
Original post by Gibsone

http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/after-applying/timescales
says
"Colleges will not receive your application until a formal offer of admission has been made by the Graduate Admissions Office. Colleges may take up to ten working days to make a decision but, as applications are often considered by more than one College in turn, the average time for a College decision to be made is three weeks from the date of the offer of admission."
i think I'm going to cry :frown: no news on Camsis even after over a week without checking...there is a degree committee meeting for my department next week - does anyone know if that's where the decisions are made?
Original post by wizenedyouth
Congratulations!! I just saw your post.

I'm not sure re: AHRC, I wasn't expecting to hear about that yet, although I haven't found any information about timelines for it. I know the graduate funding competition results are announced from early March.

Did you suggest a supervisor in your application? I'm looking forward to seeing who I'm assigned!

Ah, okay. It's been tough to find any info vis-a-vis the AHRC timeframe in general. Rather cheekily I nominated two supervisors who I know to have research interests similar to mine (ecopoetics, the pastoral and anti-pastoral, the representation of landscape from Clare through to the present day) so it will be interesting to see if I'm assigned one of them or somebody totally fresh! Did you specify?
Status for PhD in Engineering moved to degree committee on 6th Feb
Original post by dafyddjsinden
Ah, okay. It's been tough to find any info vis-a-vis the AHRC timeframe in general. Rather cheekily I nominated two supervisors who I know to have research interests similar to mine (ecopoetics, the pastoral and anti-pastoral, the representation of landscape from Clare through to the present day) so it will be interesting to see if I'm assigned one of them or somebody totally fresh! Did you specify?

Again we seem to be in the complete same boat in that I also suggested a few who have similar research interests (without first having the chance to get in touch with them and discuss). I suggested them outside of the box that requests their name, as part of my dissertation summary on the form. It will be really interesting to see who I get, also looking forward to hearing about colleges.

Congratulations again both (@foxmanfire)!
(edited 7 years ago)
Any one got update about Mhil Finance and Economics application? I am crazy for a long waiting.....
Reply 1193
Original post by Lusine
i think I'm going to cry :frown: no news on Camsis even after over a week without checking...there is a degree committee meeting for my department next week - does anyone know if that's where the decisions are made?

Hi Lusine!
My department had the degree committee meeting on the 31st but it didn't affect the time line of my application. I'm not sure if it's the same in other departments though.
Original post by Noybb
What does it mean if the status of you application changes from 'Under consideration by department' to 'Under consideration by degree committee'?

As far as I'm aware, it's the next stage in the admissions process. Someone somewhere has agreed to progress your application. It doesn't mean you have an offer, but I'd see it as a step in the right direction. After 7 weeks mine went from Under Consideration by Department, to Under Consideration by Degree Committee and then Awaiting Decision by Board of Graduate Studies in less than 24 hours.

BoGS is the stage to get excited about. :wink:

Congratulations again both (@foxmanfire)!

@dafyddjsinden

Just randomly checked the self-service again and I've been accepted to St Catherine's. Have either of you heard? Hoping there's a college overlap with us three!

Haven't heard from the department yet, and no word on the supervisor.
Original post by foxmanfire
@dafyddjsinden

Just randomly checked the self-service again and I've been accepted to St Catherine's. Have either of you heard? Hoping there's a college overlap with us three!

Yikes, that was quick! Was that your first choice? Just checked and mine is still seeking.
Yikes, that was quick! Was that your first choice? Just checked and mine is still seeking.

Right? After radio silence for a month it's all coming at once. Yeah, first choice! What were your preferences? It feels a LOT more real now I know where I'm going.
still no1 applying to the MPhil in Public Policy?
Original post by foxmanfire
@dafyddjsinden

I'm still seeking too. That was really swift! You also heard about your offer a few hours before us yesterday @foxmanfire so perhaps we might hear later on today as well, assuming the same time frame is employed throughout (though that is probably really unlikely). Robinson was my first choice, followed by St John's (radically different places, I chose based on where the supervisors I wanted were based and whether or not they house graduates in the main college).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending