The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Official CAMBRIDGE 2017 Postgraduate Applicants thread

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know if consideration by the degree committee of the department of sociology is one and the same as consideration by the department? I moved from awaiting consideration by the department to under consideration by degree committee three weeks ago without any interview, and I am trying not to read too much into it but I am quite worried.

I applied to the PhD program in Sociology, and did exchange many emails with a potential supervisor.
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Original post by wizenedyouth
I just learnt from the English department that my application was not considered eligible for AHRC or Cambridge Trusts funding. I'm slightly confused as the MPhil Newton & College Studentships come under 'Cambridge Trusts' funding and are made in conjunction with colleges, but I have not yet been assigned a college. Does anyone know how the decision was made if I was unable to be compared with a college cohort?

I think that most scholarship are based on the department's shortlisting of candidates. However I am not sure if this applies to every scholarship or some college scholarship are indipendent.
I just learnt from the English department that my application was not considered eligible for AHRC or Cambridge Trusts funding. I'm slightly confused as the MPhil Newton & College Studentships come under 'Cambridge Trusts' funding and are made in conjunction with colleges, but I have not yet been assigned a college. Does anyone know how the decision was made if I was unable to be compared with a college cohort?

Who in your department did you contact to find out whether your application is eligible for funding?
Original post by amorantiqui
I applied on Nov. 18th, still awaiting consideration!

Same dude :frown:
Hey, where are people at with History Masters applications? How long does it usually take to here the outcome? I applied over a month ago and still no change
Original post by RadCam
Hey, where are people at with History Masters applications? How long does it usually take to here the outcome? I applied over a month ago and still no change

You can join the club of history people waiting for decisions! i think there are 3 or 4 of us on the thread waiting on various history courses- I'm waiting for American history! (and have been waiting since Dec 5th, so you could be in for a long wait, haha..!)

which MPhil did you apply for? :smile:
Original post by sarzed
You can join the club of history people waiting for decisions! i think there are 3 or 4 of us on the thread waiting on various history courses- I'm waiting for American history! (and have been waiting since Dec 5th, so you could be in for a long wait, haha..!)

which MPhil did you apply for? :smile:

Oh good, thats a relief :smile: I applied for the European History Masters - what about you?
Original post by RadCam
Oh good, thats a relief :smile: I applied for the European History Masters - what about you?

American history :smile: there are also people lurking here for World History, Medieval History, Political Thought and Intellectual History and I think there were some for social/economic history who now have offers :smile: fingers crossed we all find out soon one way or the other!
Reply 1388
Original post by Sal5014
Does anyone know if consideration by the degree committee of the department of sociology is one and the same as consideration by the department? I moved from awaiting consideration by the department to under consideration by degree committee three weeks ago without any interview, and I am trying not to read too much into it but I am quite worried.

I applied to the PhD program in Sociology, and did exchange many emails with a potential supervisor.

As far as as I know you are first considered by the department then by the degree committee (which is the body that makes the recommendation to the BoGS) then, if lucky, You get BOGSed at which point you're pretty much assured a spot. So hang in there! You're one step closer but it isn't certain yet (it will be almost certain when you get BOGSed).
Original post by Sal5014

Most departments make a distinction between department and degree commitee. If that's the case, you are at the second stage.

However, some departments make no distinction and use "department" and "degree commitee" interchangeably.
I was contacted by the degree committee office. It was a generic e-mail, I didn't actually ask!

Ah, sorry to hear. Are you applying for a Masters or PhD programme?
Day 11 after moving to BoGS and my sanity is rapidly diminishing. :colondollar:
Reply 1392
It has been one and half month since my interview and I am still at "under consideration by department". Is it normal?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Dionysus1900
Probably a stupid question, but have you contacted the admissions team? They say that it should only take a week.

Not a stupid question! Things like contacting the admissions team make me nervous, admittedly. I was also unsure whether the week includes working days, in which case today would be the 7th/8th working day. Could you recommend how might be best to contact them?
(edited 7 years ago)
I know you are nervous, but if I were in your position, I would call them. They could take up to 5 working days to reply to your email, and what would be the point in that?

I rang. Turns out they are questioning something in my application so it's gone back to the department, though apparently it's a formality more than anything. I feel like this would only happen to me. :redface:
I am sure it's nothing. Did they say how long it would take for you to hear back?

They said it was a busy time for offers, but since the department recommended an offer in the first instance I can't imagine it'll be too long. Hopefully not, anyway!
Original post by RadCam

I'm a half-lurker - my partner's applied for the PhD in history and I'm lurking on his behalf :smile: He's still under consideration by degree commitee.

Apparently his tutor (who has experience with the application system) has told him that he would probably hear in the beginning of spring. They do take their sweet time it would seem.
Original post by facelark123
They said it was a busy time for offers, but since the department recommended an offer in the first instance I can't imagine it'll be too long. Hopefully not, anyway!

Sorry to hear that, hope it'll all be fine! When they open an academic case it's usually because you don't meet some entry requirement, is that the case?
Original post by capplicant
Sorry to hear that, hope it'll all be fine! When they open an academic case it's usually because you don't meet some entry requirement, is that the case?

Thank you!

I should meet the entry requirements. It's because I started an integrated Masters back in 2011. I left after a couple of months because I had a lot of health problems and was admitted to hospital, and when I came back I transferred onto a different course (a BSc) in a different department. But I basically have a non-completed Masters under my belt, albeit from an integrated undergraduate course. The whole thing makes me nervous. I already feel terrible for having to take so many breaks from my education because of my health. But it was obvious from my transcript and it was also explained on my application, so I'm not sure why it's been questioned at this point.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by facelark123
Thank you!

I should meet the entry requirements. It's because I started an integrated Masters back in 2011. I left after a couple of months because I had a lot of health problems and was admitted to hospital, and when I came back I transferred onto a different course (a BSc) in a different department. But I basically have a non-completed Masters under my belt, albeit from an integrated undergraduate course. The whole thing makes me nervous. I already feel terrible for having to take so many breaks from my education because of my health. But it was obvious from my transcript and it was also explained on my application, so I'm not sure why it's been questioned at this point.

If it's for medical reasons you should be totally fine, don't worry. If the department recommended you once, it's probably going to tell BoGS that they still want you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending