The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Margerie Dawes
ROFL If you weren't anonomous I would rep you that post was so hilarious Anyway it prob died of natural causes they are designed to be able to go without food for ages. New ones only cost about a fiver I think, I put bleach in my hamsters water bottle when I got bored of looking after it so it died then I though might as well get another one a year later as I was bored it cost about six quid I think.

lol thats not true and if it is you are a murderer.. and mine came free with the cage!
Reply 21
goodLife
Hamster store food and will eat, crumbs anything if they are hungry, im sure they can survive a week without food, they would be thin but are you sure it was only a week?? Im sure things that you are very fond of can be forgotten if they are at the back of your mind but still thats aweful!

Saruman, don't be mean you should like your hamster maybe get him out and spend a bit more time with him? You did choose him.

It was probably a bit over a week. But last time I fed them they were fed a large wedge of cucumber. This big:

When we found it dead it has poo all over it's ass, at first I thought it was wet tail but I was told that it bowels prob' emptied itself because of the death. :frown:
Reply 22
goodLife
Hamster store food and will eat, crumbs anything if they are hungry, im sure they can survive a week without food, they would be thin but are you sure it was only a week?? Im sure things that you are very fond of can be forgotten if they are at the back of your mind but still thats aweful!

Saruman, don't be mean you should like your hamster maybe get him out and spend a bit more time with him? You did choose him.

Well, when I say I don't like it, I mean to say it's boring. I love animals alot, and so I look after it very well etc, I was just meaning that were I to have the opportunity I wouldn't have another hamster. If only the parents would have let me have a snake..... Nevermind when I get my own place eh :p:
Reply 23
Anonymous
It was probably a bit over a week. But last time I fed them they were fed a large wedge of cucumber. This big:

When we found it dead it has poo all over it's ass, at first I thought it was wet tail but I was told that it bowels prob' emptied itself because of the death. :frown:

cucumber.. mostly water i think.. not food

and whether it died of starvation or natural causes is besides the point.. you still forgot about it
Why feed a hamster cucumber thats pretty ******ed they eat nuts and seeds. Yeah and anyway the bleach thing was actually quite a good idea I watched it drink it to make sure it died quickly you have to boil it first to reduce it and make it more concentrated otherwise its pretty cruel IMO
Reply 25
Margerie Dawes
Why feed a hamster cucumber thats pretty retarded they eat nuts and seeds. Yeah and anyway the bleach thing was actually quite a good idea I watched it drink it to make sure it died quickly you have to boil it first to reduce it and make it more concentrated otherwise its pretty cruel IMO

oh ok you boiled it first.. that makes it all better then..
Yeah or you could just get hold of some stronger stuff to start with. Anyway back to the point that its prob the cucumber that killed it as wild animals often eat themselves to death as the food supply would never reach that high in the wild and cucumber contains too much water.
I look after Crickets. They die occaisionally, but it's ok. You get over it.
Reply 28
:toofunny: please say you'll never have children.
Reply 29
Margerie Dawes
Yeah or you could just get hold of some stronger stuff to start with. Anyway back to the point that its prob the cucumber that killed it as wild animals often eat themselves to death as the food supply would never reach that high in the wild and cucumber contains too much water.

How the hell could cucumber kill a hamster? I've fed it cucumber plenty before.
If it did die of starvation you'll know because it will be basically skin and bones anyway.
Was it old?
I'm sure a cucumber was adequate hamster food for a week.
Reply 33
Bubblebee
Was it old?

Year and a half.
Was it a big one or a dwarf one?
Reply 35
Bubblebee
Was it a big one or a dwarf one?

Syrian.
Was it in a drafty place? Or perhaps somewhere a bit too hot, like above heating pipes or near a radiator?
Reply 37
Bubblebee
Was it in a drafty place? Or perhaps somewhere a bit too hot, like above heating pipes or near a radiator?

It's right in front of a radiator on top of the TV cabinet. But the radiator is hardly on. Which also happens to be right next to the window.
Reply 38
people..

why does it matter how old it was??

yeah it could mean it died naturally..

but still... annoyomous you forgot about it for a week

and that in my opinion is pretty cruel
Yeah well mine survived for about three years (long time for a hamster) before I put it down and I didn't feed it for weeks on end. You just give it loads of mixed seeds on one big go as they are storers. The word hamster comes from the German hamstern, meaning to hoard and this is because they often carry food away from the source in their cheek pouches and hoard it away in a cache.

Feeding it huge lumps of cucumber is ******ed as it can't store a fruit which would start to rot etc. Souns to me like you need to educate yourself a little better on hamsters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamster

Latest