Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...y/paper.php#Q8

how would i go around doing part d of this?

if i split \dfrac{8x^3 -1}{1-2x^3}

up into \dfrac{8x^3}{1-2x^3} and\ \dfrac{1}{1-2x^3}

can i just make the first bit into \dfrac{24x^2}{1-6x^2} or am i killing people with my "maths" here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreatwhale)
    http://www.examsolutions.net/a-level...y/paper.php#Q8

how would i go around doing part d of this?

if i split \dfrac{8x^3 -1}{1-2x^3}

up into \dfrac{8x^3}{1-2x^3} and\ \dfrac{1}{1-2x^3}

can i just make the first bit into \dfrac{24x^2}{1-6x^2} or am i killing people with my "maths" here?
    That would be illegal I'm afraid. You need to multiply both top and bottom by 3, giving you the result (24x^3)/(3-6x^2).

I'd recommend differentiating gf(x) (using quotient rule; maybe the product rule) to get yourself another fraction. Put that equal to zero and solve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLegion)
    That would be illegal I'm afraid. You need to multiply both top and bottom by 3, giving you the result (24x^3)/(3-6x^2).

I'd recommend differentiating gf(x) (using quotient rule; maybe the product rule) to get yourself another fraction. Put that equal to zero and solve.
    couldn't i just use quotient rule as it is?(just learnt it xD)

and say that

\dfrac{(1-2x^3)(24x^2)-(8x^3 -1)(-6x^2)}{(1-2x^3)^2}

\dfrac{24x^2 -48x^5 +48x^5 -6x^2}{(1-2x^3)^2}

\dfrac{18x^2}{(1-2x^3)^2}

ReputationRep:

and say that

Yes that works, and hence you can deduce that the stationary point is at x=0. Now just substitute into the expression for gf(x) to get the y-coordinate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    Yes that works, and hence you can deduce that the stationary point is at x=0. Now just substitute into the expression for gf(x) to get the y-coordinate.
    How do i know it's a quadratic? it doesn't look like a normal one :/

ReputationRep:
    How do i know it's a quadratic? it doesn't look like a normal one :/
    At stationary points, dy/dx = 0.
    Thus 18x^2/(1-2x^3)^2 = 0.
    Multiply both sides by (1-2x^3)^2 to give 18x^2 = 0, then divide by 18 to give x^2 = 0, so x = 0.
    Notice that in general, if a fraction equals 0, we can automatically write down that the numerator must be 0, and it doesn't matter what the denominator is (as long as we don't have a division by zero).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HapaxOromenon3)
    At stationary points, dy/dx = 0.
    Thus 18x^2/(1-2x^3)^2 = 0.
    Multiply both sides by (1-2x^3)^2 to give 18x^2 = 0, then divide by 18 to give x^2 = 0, so x = 0.
    Notice that in general, if a fraction equals 0, we can automatically write down that the numerator must be 0, and it doesn't matter what the denominator is (as long as we don't have a division by zero).
    i understand \dfrac{\mathrm d y}{\mathrm d x}=0 at a stationary point

but how u know it's a quadratic? because quadratic generally have u shape or n shape and that way it has only 1 stationary point or am i wrong and does the graph of it look totally different?

ReputationRep:

Thanks for pointing out the OP's illegal move , do you have the number for the maths police ?

ReputationRep:

and say that

Yes you can. I was just letting you know that when you split the fraction and multiplied by 3, it was done incorrectly.

Now you know the derivative. Equate it to 0, and find the value of gf(x) for this value of x to find the coordinates of the stationary point

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can. I was just letting you know that when you split the fraction and multiplied by 3, it was done incorrectly.

Now you know the derivative. Equate it to 0, and find the value of gf(x) for this value of x to find the coordinates of the stationary point
    ah right oh i understand the question told me lol >.>
    thanks got the answer now
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Thanks for pointing out the OP's illegal move , do you have the number for the maths police ?
    this is what happens when you go through the textbook up to chapter 3 and you aint done the chapter on differentiation but you still wanna do dem big mark questions an finish the rest of the question.

ReputationRep:
    ah right oh i understand the question told me lol >.>
    thanks got the answer now

this is what happens when you go through the textbook up to chapter 3 and you aint done the chapter on differentiation but you still wanna do dem big mark questions an finish the rest of the question.
    Aha oh right Yh I know what you mean ; have you started c3 early then ? I started c3 last summer but didn't really remember much of it lol . I wish I had actually learnt it properly so I had more time for other stuff hmmm

ReputationRep:
    Aha oh right Yh I know what you mean ; have you started c3 early then ? I started c3 last summer but didn't really remember much of it lol . I wish I had actually learnt it properly so I had more time for other stuff hmmm
    yes, i'm still tryin to learn it now myself so i can get a head start and get things going back when i go back to school

ReputationRep:
    yes, i'm still tryin to learn it now myself so i can get a head start and get things going back when i go back to school
    Brilliant haha ; do all the exercises and keep them in a folder and mark them and then when your teacher sets homework from the book then you would've done it already aha

ReputationRep:
    Brilliant haha ; do all the exercises and keep them in a folder and mark them and then when your teacher sets homework from the book then you would've done it already aha
    ah thing is though my teacher doesn't do that he rushes through and tries to get us to do all the past papers so we have as much experience of papers as possible

ReputationRep:
    ah thing is though my teacher doesn't do that he rushes through and tries to get us to do all the past papers so we have as much experience of papers as possible
    Oh ok well just do all the exercises in the book then so when you come to do papers you'll be confident with the content
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    When I did the problem initially :moon: I noticed that \dfrac{8x^3-1}{1-2x^3}=3(1-2x^3)^{-1}-4 and I found the derivative using the chain rule leading to \dfrac{18x^2}{(1-2x^3)^2} as you have.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok well just do all the exercises in the book then so when you come to do papers you'll be confident with the content
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    When I did the problem initially :moon: I noticed that \dfrac{8x^3-1}{1-2x^3}=3(1-2x^3)^{-1}-4 and I found the derivative using the chain rule leading to \dfrac{18x^2}{(1-2x^3)^2} as you have.
    woah where did that come from?? o..o
    i understand \dfrac{1}{1-2x^3} =(1-2x^3)^{-1}

but i'm a little unsure of where the 3 comes from ad i'm assuming the -4 is to balance things out

ReputationRep:
    woah where did that come from?? o..o
    i understand \dfrac{1}{1-2x^3} =(1-2x^3)^{-1}

but i'm a little unsure of where the 3 comes from ad i'm assuming the -4 is to balance things out
    -4 is the remainder I think

ReputationRep:
    -4 is the remainder I think
    lol still don't know where the 3 comes from and where the 8x^3 -1 went

ReputationRep:
    lol still don't know where the 3 comes from and where the 8x^3 -1 went
    I'm actually so confused right now

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 19, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.