Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I am preparing to start a maths degree this year. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that I should use to prepare myself for the first year? I heard University Maths is very different to A level Maths so I would like to bridge the gap. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AK7000)
    So I am preparing to start a maths degree this year. I was wondering if anyone knew of any books that I should use to prepare myself for the first year? I heard University Maths is very different to A level Maths so I would like to bridge the gap. Any suggestions will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
    How to study for a Mathematics degree by Lara Alcock is a good book

ReputationRep:
    Where? acontium is right, A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics is also good as is How to Think Like a Mathematician. None are essential though.

(Original post by AK7000)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acontium)
    How to study for a Mathematics degree by Lara Alcock is a good book
    cheers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Where? acontium is right, A Concise Introduction to Pure Mathematics is also good as is How to Think Like a Mathematician. None are essential though.
    At Queen Mary (hopefully) and thank you for the recommendations.

ReputationRep:
    I'd perhaps have a look at "introductory mathematics: algebra and analysis" by Geoff smith. But your uni may recommend different books for their first year modules. I wouldn't buy any expensive ones until you start your course and know if you really need it or not. Some first years spend hundreds and never use them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tedward)
    I'd perhaps have a look at "introductory mathematics: algebra and analysis" by Geoff smith. But your uni may recommend different books for their first year modules. I wouldn't buy any expensive ones until you start your course and know if you really need it or not. Some first years spend hundreds and never use them.

Posted from TSR Mobile

thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.