The Student Room Group

I want a kitten

I absolutely love animals, and I really want a kitten. I've thought everythign through about the cost and looking after it on holidays etc. But my first problem is... My contract in my new house says no pets. I already have fish, which I haven't checked if thats ok, but I imagine it is (even though it probably says in the contract its not.. standard thing right?).

I have 2 options with a cat: 1. Ask, and risk being told no and thennever being able to have one as they'd be too suspicious. How strict are student landlords in general on this thing? We have a severe mouse problem which I figure this would probably help with. The 2nd option owuld be to not ask, just have a cat, and if they came round, hide its things and blame it on being an over friendly neighbour cat (neighbour cats do tend to come in every now and then if a window is left open anyway!)

Also, why does everyone want to charge for kittens?! The local tom gets your cat pregnant and its kittens are worth £85? I don't think so....

Yeah, opinions on what I should do?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If I were you, I would wait until you get out of student accomodation tbh.
Reply 2
I think we need an "I want a kitten" society.

I've put up this WHOLE YEAR without a kitten. I need one in October. :mad:

as for your problem: I think it's irresponsible to have them in a small place, probably with little garden and on a big road (as most student places are) and toing and froing during the holidays. And what about if you want to go travelling for a while? Basically, you're not in a position to have one yet and will have to wait. Like I am :frown:
Reply 3
I don't want to wait thoguh, I have thought about that. I really really do miss my cats back home alot, and I realllllly want a cat now. It will be well looked after, I'm in my final year so its not like I'm a fresher who will be out every night, and coming home drunk to abuse it or anything.. I am nice :smile:
Reply 4
piiiink
I don't want to wait thoguh, I have thought about that. I really really do miss my cats back home alot, and I realllllly want a cat now. It will be well looked after, I'm in my final year so its not like I'm a fresher who will be out every night, and coming home drunk to abuse it or anything.. I am nice :smile:

I don't want to wait, I miss my cat. I graduated a year ago and I'm still holding out till October when I'll be in a cat-owning position. You can be as nice as you want but it's irresponsible for the cat and also against your rental contract!
Reply 5
I want a kitten more.
Reply 6
how is it being irresponsible for the cat? I know its against my rental contract, thats the one thing that concerns me :-( is it best to come clean or hide the cat though!?
Reply 7
It's best to not get the cat.

I told you: your rental place probably isn't going to be the best home, it'll be disruptive for the cat during holidays when you move out or graduate etc and what if you want to go travelling after your degree?
Reply 8
If you're in student accommodation then chances are you're near some busy main roads. So, you either have to keep the cat in all the time (cruel to a kitten since you'll be at uni during the day and it will get bored and probably shred your curtains/sofas/clothes). Or you'll have to let it out, in which case it will probably be run over. I say wait.
Reply 9
It wouldn’t be a good idea to get a cat/kitten now, but what if you were to get a mouse which looked like a kitten? Problem solved – a ‘kitten’ which can be stored in a small box in your room and it won’t get bored with you being out all day! :biggrin:
Reply 10
Cats don't like being moved about too much so it would be fairer to wait until you're in a situation where you're not likely to move for a couple of years.

Also, some private landlords will let you have a cat, although they'll more than likely ask you for a much bigger deposit and chances are you'll loose a fair portion of that for cleaning etc. I'd imagine though that most 'student' landlords will say an outright 'no', and then they'd be suspicious and would probably make you get rid of the fish too. It's probably best not to rock the boat, and just wait a bit longer until you're in a better position.

And nobody wants a kitten as much as I do ... Damn this living in a second floor rented flat!!
Reply 11
Were getting a kitten next week :biggrin: Try and get one from a rescue centre if you do get one :smile:
Reply 12
Kittens are cute but then they become cats, and they are just scary.
Reply 13
Cats aren't scary :frown: And no, I don't live next to a main road, I'm quite lucky. I'll have more of a think about it, chances are I will still get one, but still. A friend of mine her cat is actually having kittens any day now (although, the friends been saying this for a week already...!) and she's said I can have one (for nothing) but that won't be till the end of August now :-(
Reply 14
piink, maybe that is a good thing, having to wait til Aug.

Everytime you move with your cat you'll have to keep it inside for (we do) 2 weeks. We did it even when we moved down the road.

Please please please don't get a cat until you own your own place. The Landlord can kick you out for breaking your contract by getting a cat, then where will you go?
I want a kitten:frown: but am not allowed...i mean...whos going to look after it when i go on holiday!
Reply 16
I want a kitten too, they're so yummy and I'm really hungry.
i love all animals but i'm allergic to them:mad: :eek: !
A couple of my friends have just got 2 kittens and they are adorable. My boyfriend wants a kitten, but I say NOOO :cool:

We are in a first floor flat for goodness's sake. Fair enough, the complex has big gardens a cat could roam in should it wish, but I'm not having my lovely open-plan 2 bed smelling of cat wee :rolleyes:
piiiink
I absolutely love animals, and I really want a kitten. I've thought everythign through about the cost and looking after it on holidays etc. But my first problem is... My contract in my new house says no pets. I already have fish, which I haven't checked if thats ok, but I imagine it is (even though it probably says in the contract its not.. standard thing right?).

I have 2 options with a cat: 1. Ask, and risk being told no and thennever being able to have one as they'd be too suspicious. How strict are student landlords in general on this thing? We have a severe mouse problem which I figure this would probably help with. The 2nd option owuld be to not ask, just have a cat, and if they came round, hide its things and blame it on being an over friendly neighbour cat (neighbour cats do tend to come in every now and then if a window is left open anyway!)

Also, why does everyone want to charge for kittens?! The local tom gets your cat pregnant and its kittens are worth £85? I don't think so....

Yeah, opinions on what I should do?

I have fish in my student house, but thats ok cos the landlord knows about it and it belongs to the house not anyone in particular, i don't think our landlord would be happy about me bringing my cat to uni but my mum is happy to look after him while i'm away. If you really want a cat i would not risk it in a student house, either get someone to look after him for you while your at uni though i wouldn't reccomend that cos cats get very stressed being shifted around from place to place and person to person or wait til you have your own place where you can have a cat.

On the cost thing, not all cats cost £85, pedigrees are way up in the hundreds, my mums cat didn't cost a thing, my cat was rescue kitten and was only £30.

Latest

Trending

Trending