The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist. i had severe acne was so horrible :frown: roaccutane was my cure. My doc put me on two different types of antibiotics prior to this and they basically didnt help at all. If they had put me on accutane from the start I would of just gone through 6 months of hell rather than 3 years but oh well never mind :frown: not had a single spot since.
Reply 41
bone-machine
im guessing with your move you've had a change of lifestyle, ie more stress, possibly different diet, different water. the major thing would probably be the london pollution and using the tube. im from london and my skin isnt great, it often gets better when im out of london. when youve had a day at work and your face is a bit shiny, then you pop onto the underground with the dust in the air being sucked from the tunnels and pollution and grime everywhere its no onder its hard for acne prone skin!.

it was very unprofessional of them to laugh at you, the moisturiser i use and recommend is neutrogena visibly clear oil free moisturiser..its in a orange package.

wash face gently, apply moisturiser gently, let it sink in then apply any topical treatments they give you. the more you wash and beat up your skin the more it will try and compensate by over producing oil etc etc.

Major change indeed- I think it's the pollution as my diet has only got better since living here. I didn't realise you put the moisturiser on before thetopical treatment!! I'll have to give that a go!! Thank you :smile:

The effects of diet, drinking a lot of water and clearasil type products have, at best, little effect on acne. Of course you should have a healthy diet for general wellbeing anyway.

If acne is affecting you then you need to see a doctor - try different ones if you're unhappy with your current gp. I think Quinodern at 10% BP concentration might be a little strong to start out with, especially if you report dry skin anyway, but certainly Panoxyl 2.5% BP concentration (in conjunction with a moisturiser) might be something to try and they will probably prescribe it (or some other cream) in conjunction with a course of antibiotics. Ask regarding the best way to use it if you have dry skin.

If you are prescribed Panoxyl then Cleanse, Moisturise, Panoxyl in the morning and before going to bed is probably a good routine, though you might want to only apply Panoxyl in the evening at first.

Best of luck!

That's great avice thank you, I'm really hoping doc is a useful sort and gives me loads of advice.....wish the appointment was now.

Should I go andtake everything I've tried to prove a point and should I take my makeup off so he can see the true extent of the horror- though I don't know how I'll get there makeup less :frown: :confused:
Reply 42
SmilerNuts
Yeah, i got those and they worked wonders. Easily stops those "big, lump type things" lol
I know you've tried a lot of over the counter stuff but FreeDerm works well, combination of the gel and facewash and you should be clear(er) in no time.
Zinc is also supposed to work well for some people yeah

I'll bear both of them in mind, I'm going to bombard this poor doctor!! It's a little better today- I didn't use anything except tee tree oil soap and my old moisturiser- is that very bad??
Reply 43
wear_a_condom
ask your doctor to refer you to a dermatologist. i had severe acne was so horrible :frown: roaccutane was my cure. My doc put me on two different types of antibiotics prior to this and they basically didnt help at all. If they had put me on accutane from the start I would of just gone through 6 months of hell rather than 3 years but oh well never mind :frown: not had a single spot since.

Sound slike this roacccutane stuff is the business! I'm going to trya n get that then- do you think he'll give ti straight off??
loser88
Sound slike this roacccutane stuff is the business! I'm going to trya n get that then- do you think he'll give ti straight off??
Very unlikely. It's a last resort drug, so they're bound to try other things first. Though it is a very effective drug, it poses some potentially adverse side-effects. Also a dermatologist can only prescribe it (not GP).
Yeah, they normally start you off on some weaker stuff cause it'll do for most people anyway. All of the really strong ones have weird side effects so the doctors don't like to hand them out unless it's a truly severe case, whereas most people think their acne is worse than it is.
It's good to be able to take some info to your doctor though, it wont bombard them, will show that you want to sort this out and have done some research first. Good luck :smile:
Reply 46
Mustard-man
Very unlikely. It's a last resort drug, so they're bound to try other things first. Though it is a very effective drug, it poses some potentially adverse side-effects. Also a dermatologist can only prescribe it (not GP).

Oh :frown: Well fingers crossed that whatever they come up with first off works.....Would a GP refer me on to a dermatologist? Do you ahve to pay? What are people's views on laser treatment? Does it work?

Yeah, they normally start you off on some weaker stuff cause it'll do for most people anyway. All of the really strong ones have weird side effects so the doctors don't like to hand them out unless it's a truly severe case, whereas most people think their acne is worse than it is.
It's good to be able to take some info to your doctor though, it wont bombard them, will show that you want to sort this out and have done some research first. Good luck

What sort of side effects? I just want these horrible things gone off my face :frown: Trust me, this is severe, more than 50 spots on your china nd cheeks alone is bad- people just randomly come up and ask if it's an allergic reaction....:frown: Thank you- I tried to move my apporintment but they're full, have juts moved it to the morning on Wed instead.....ARGH!! :mad:
well at least it's less than a week away, look on the bright side like that :smile:

Side effects - i can't actually remember cause luckily i never had to take anything that strong. Just remember the doctor painting a very grim picture when i asked if i could go straight on to the serious medication. Erythromicin works wonders though. Some people do get worse spots than others but if it's really serious then people could be right, maybe you are having a reaction to something.

Answer to your other questions - yeah, the GP can refer you to a dermatologist and no, it's free cause it's all on the NHS. Isn't laser treatment only for the scars that spots leave behind though?
Reply 48
SmilerNuts
well at least it's less than a week away, look on the bright side like that :smile:

Side effects - i can't actually remember cause luckily i never had to take anything that strong. Just remember the doctor painting a very grim picture when i asked if i could go straight on to the serious medication. Erythromicin works wonders though. Some people do get worse spots than others but if it's really serious then people could be right, maybe you are having a reaction to something.

Answer to your other questions - yeah, the GP can refer you to a dermatologist and no, it's free cause it's all on the NHS. Isn't laser treatment only for the scars that spots leave behind though?

Grand....well I'm glad the less major stuff worked for you :smile: hope for me too!! I dunno what though, I've been trying lots of things but onyl to try and make the existing spots better- only appearsd to be making ti worse and red , sore and flaky. As acne normally itchy?

I read that laser treatment can be used for active acne but not sure how that would work?!
I have no idea about laser treatment then, i've never even thought about it cause it seemed like a last resort but might be becoming more popular these days. Ask a pro for info about it.

It can be a bit itchy but not especially so, like it wouldn't be like chicken pox or anything. Different treatments work on different skin types though, your dermatologist will be able to identify which one should be most effectve for you personally. Obviously if something is irritating your skin you should stop using it
Reply 50
SmilerNuts
I have no idea about laser treatment then, i've never even thought about it cause it seemed like a last resort but might be becoming more popular these days. Ask a pro for info about it.

It can be a bit itchy but not especially so, like it wouldn't be like chicken pox or anything. Different treatments work on different skin types though, your dermatologist will be able to identify which one should be most effectve for you personally. Obviously if something is irritating your skin you should stop using it

I'll add that to my list of things to ask doc then!

No it's not as bad as chicken pox, but you can feel when one's bad because it itches- a skin of infection maybe? I've stopped bombarding my face and it seems to have made a slight difference, in fact workmates said y face was a lot better today than yesterday (Still bloody awful of course just a more normal colour (you were wearing too much makeup yesterday [actually my face was just red form spots]))!! Greeeeeeeeeat! :rolleyes: :frown:
Reply 51
loser88

Should I go andtake everything I've tried to prove a point and should I take my makeup off so he can see the true extent of the horror- though I don't know how I'll get there makeup less :frown: :confused:

definitely go with as little make up on as you can...maybe take some makeup to apply in the toilet post appointment to get home if you feel awful . if its bad as you say you wont need to prove your point by bringing in everything you've tried.g'luckxx

they wont give roaccutane straight away they will try other stuff first.
loser88
I'll add that to my list of things to ask doc then!

No it's not as bad as chicken pox, but you can feel when one's bad because it itches- a skin of infection maybe? I've stopped bombarding my face and it seems to have made a slight difference, in fact workmates said y face was a lot better today than yesterday (Still bloody awful of course just a more normal colour (you were wearing too much makeup yesterday [actually my face was just red form spots]))!! Greeeeeeeeeat! :rolleyes: :frown:

It's not gonna change overnight but making little changes like that will gradually improve it and you'll notice how much better it looks. Try and be in the sun as much as possible and wear as little make up as you feel comfortable with cause i'm not sure how helpful it is for skin, might make more spots
Roacutane!!! Its the best tablets ever to get rid of spots, doubt your dr will prescribe them to you straight away cos you have to have tried a few more tablets and cremes which aren't as strong and if they don't work they'll put you on roacutane. Downsides are tht it makes your skin DEAD dry, i couldn't last a day without vaseline my lips got so chapped, nose bleeds cos you get dry skin in ur nose, mood swings, possibly become diabetic (extremely rare) and a load of other possible side effects but i only got the dry skin and nose bleeds. Its been a year since i took them and only ever get a random spot every now and again and no longer have greesy skin its GREAT :biggrin:
Reply 56
i really had bad side effects with the tablets.. first the not so tough ones were alright but werent working. They put me on a strong dose and bam! i didnt like the side effects =(
Reply 57

Thanks for the link, I'll add it to my list of ideas!!

It's not gonna change overnight but making little changes like that will gradually improve it and you'll notice how much better it looks. Try and be in the sun as much as possible and wear as little make up as you feel comfortable with cause i'm not sure how helpful it is for skin, might make more spots

There is unfortunately a distinct lack of sun at the moment :frown: I don't wear much makeup really, but I do tend to wear more when it's bad but I try and put it on very soon before I go out and take it off as soon as I get back. i do use non-oil foundation and witch hazel concealer to try and help though.....
Reply 58
bone-machine
definitely go with as little make up on as you can...maybe take some makeup to apply in the toilet post appointment to get home if you feel awful . if its bad as you say you wont need to prove your point by bringing in everything you've tried.g'luckxx

It's so lame as the doc is only like 3 mins from my flat.....but still have to walk past about 16 shops with cafes and outside seating...:frown: Worse again today- new outbreak.....fit....:rolleyes: :frown: Thank you for all your help- rep a-coming your way!!

Roacutane!! Its the best tablets ever to get rid of spots, doubt your dr will prescribe them to you straight away cos you have to have tried a few more tablets and cremes which aren't as strong and if they don't work they'll put you on roacutane. Downsides are tht it makes your skin DEAD dry, i couldn't last a day without vaseline my lips got so chapped, nose bleeds cos you get dry skin in ur nose, mood swings, possibly become diabetic (extremely rare) and a load of other possible side effects but i only got the dry skin and nose bleeds. Its been a year since i took them and only ever get a random spot every now and again and no longer have greesy skin its GREAT

I've heard that's the best but that's not going to happen immediately as it's too strong. Also, I get dry skin when I just wash my face in plain water.....The rest of those side effects sound lovely!! :eek: Did you get them straight away or did you try other things first??
Yeah, nosebleeds were definitely one of the side effects mentioned to me. I guess they're worth it though if it's better for you in the long run

Latest

Trending

Trending